1500-2000 budget for Gzira, Ta Xbix

I have a 1500-2000 Euro budget for a 2-3 double bedroom place in Gzira, Ta Xbix and maybe Msia and Gzira side if Sliema.

Must be modern looking and have parking. Is my budget realistic here as most agents are up selling me to places that are 2500?

I dont care about a penthouse or a sea front which all the 2500 ones are but there seems to be anything a tier below as I then got brought to a dump in Gzira that was 'only' 1300 p/m.

Your budget is good: your agent was too greedy!

I could rent a 3 bed flat in any of those areas for half your budget: 2-bed is even easier.
I don't know about parking though. That said, parking doesn't seem to be a problem if you're not bothered parking your on the streets. Parking doesn't seem to be a problem in the side streets of Sliema.

Another predatory shark agent.

Nothing personal reggietarrent but I'm getting a bit fed up of people coming here thinking the wider Sliema area is the only area worth living in, and who come here throwing stupid money around, thinking 1500-2000 euro is a normal rent fee in Malta, pushing up prices in those areas, probably to the great delight of home owners and real estate agencies who are laughing all the way to the bank.

Then again, I would never want to live in Sliema myself so I don't care how expensive it gets there, but just sayin', it's getting a bit ridiculous :)

nilonilonilo wrote:

Nothing personal reggietarrent but I'm getting a bit fed up of people coming here thinking the wider Sliema area is the only area worth living in, and who come here throwing stupid money around, thinking 1500-2000 euro is a normal rent fee in Malta, pushing up prices in those areas, probably to the great delight of home owners and real estate agencies who are laughing all the way to the bank.

Then again, I would never want to live in Sliema myself so I don't care how expensive it gets there, but just sayin', it's getting a bit ridiculous :)

Nothing personal taken but I would disagree that people think that there is nowhere else to live. I don't for one minute think that these are the only areas to live but when I weight up all the factors involved in my life, these areas make the most sense, even if it is not my ideal location. I would prefer live in a quiet town or country area but its not possible at the moment due to my situation.

It's up to you where you want to live but when it comes to structuring your life and day you have to decide how long you want to spend commuting to work and how much the convenience is worth to you relative to your rental budget.

I also understand that rental prices are being inflated insanely and this is based on so many people being in a similar mind frame and position to me. It happens in most cities in the world where the central hub of business gets extortionate with rental prices.

Quote:  I also understand that rental prices are being inflated insanely

I strongly disagree and would suggest that is alarmist.
As you are finding out and as some of us have constantly stated: beware of most agents!!!

Also, you need to be here to see what is the true situation.
Do not go just by what you see on the internet or what you are told unless face to face when you can argue/discuss.
Some will be expensive, others not so.

redmik wrote:

Quote:  I also understand that rental prices are being inflated insanely

I strongly disagree and would suggest that is alarmist.
As you are finding out and as some of us have constantly stated: beware of most agents!!!

Also, you need to be here to see what is the true situation.
Do not go just by what you see on the internet or what you are told unless face to face when you can argue/discuss.
Some will be expensive, others not so.

You don't think rental prices in the Sliema area are excessively or unreasonably high?

Oops, I saw you clarified this in your edit.

I am in Sliema and have been viewing places for the past week. About 5 per day.

Clarified in my edit? Do please explain.

snip

What was it you say I clarified in my edit? I thought I only corrected some punctuation.

I see you extended your answer in your edit and I think I understand your point more.

You suggest that rents are not inflated in Sliema area and there is value to be got.

I think based on what I am looking for in Sliema area, this is not the case and the rents are inflated. I.e excessively or unreasonably high

OK, well as long as people are prepared to pay the prices then simple market forces will continue.

Yes, the same what that happens in most cities around the world, unfortunately.

The question and point of this thread was to ask if my budget was realistic to my criteria. I haven't seen anything to say it is but that's only with about one week of looking. If this proves true I will have to make changes obviously but I thought some experiecnes here may help.

We live at Gzira/Msida border. 3 bedroom apartment just above us was rented out for 850 and I would say it's quite expensive. Ok, add another 200 for garage and you are still far away from your budget.

I was trying to find something above your budget in Gzira for example. Yes, you can find duplex penthouse wiht 3 baths designer finished for EUR 2,700. But it's really difficult :)

Prices have increased a lot those last years. You have to do your homework.
How much is the rent is also how much is worth the apartment for sale. The area, the neighborhood, quality of appliances, water pressure or not, good ACs, good mattresses, good sofa, quietness. Designer finished is a joke. Designer Ikea style is what people want now. They don't care about quality, just if they look the same, they are happy.
There will always be people to say you are a pigeon, you pay this price or you are stupid, at this price, it's shit. Here you must be careful and also choose the right apartment with the good quality and working properly. Everybody wants a bargain but we have what we pay. There are bad landlords and bad tenants. Throw a rental price doesn't make any sense.