Low sodium, fresh food diet in China

Hi,
I am considering working in China and I am wondering if it is possible and/or common to keep a low sodium, fresh food, and healthy diet while living in China?  I've come to the knowledge that alot of the food in China is fantastic, but In searching the internet, I can't find much on this topic and I have not been to China.

Thanks for your help:-)
Leslie

Hi, Leslie,
Are you planning to cook at home? If so, I think the answer is that it's absolutely possible. The produce here, at least in southern China, is excellent. Very fresh, very inexpensive, great variety.

If you're planning to eat out a lot, it will be trickier. You'll need to ask them to not use a lot of salt, soy sauce, or oil. You'll probably want to figure out some liangban (cold dishes, many use raw veggies) that you like. Otherwise, everything I can think of is cooked, either stir-fried, boiled, steamed, etc. The nice thing is that restaurants use fresh ingredients in preparing their dishes, so it's easy to follow whole-foods and plant-based diets.

All in all, I find it much easier to eat healthier (more vegetables, less processed food) in China than it is in the U.S.

Best wishes in your plans for moving!
Emily

Hi Emily,
Thanks, your response did help:-)

Leslie

You're welcome!