Gift for an expat living in China?

Hi,
as I am planning to visit a (European) friend living in Shanghai I thought about bringing some food/drink that he might miss from home but: Is there anything that you bring from home or can you buy all kinds of imported delicatessen there (I understood that Carrefour and Walmart are there)?
Thanks & regards,
Lars

Welcome on Expat.com Lars :)

Hi, food from hometown is always welcome. Yes, you can get most of the food here but it will be 20% to 30% more expensive. Just be careful as china has control on type of food you can bring in, nothing raw or alive.

interactiveexpat.blogspot.com/2011/07/gifts-to-bring-expats-and-shipping.html
Gifts to Bring Expats

Hi jsbmeb,

Maybe you should write some tips on the forum. Thank you. :)

Bringing/shipping food and beverages is always a great idea but you can only bring so much and certain things will perish if taken on a plane so you're fairly limited in what can be brought.

Meanwhile you can opt to give a VIP card from Baode Gourmet Home Delivery.    This is a great option if your friend likes to cook at home and doesn't like the quality of selections otherwise available in even the foreign specialty stores.

Baode is an import and distribution company in China, they supply hundreds of hotels and restaurants with premium steak, seafood, pork, wine, etc and now have launched a new retail/home delivery unit.

Hi and welcome on board adambeijing!

Thanks for sharing ;)

Armand