Scammed on Nanjing East Rd

I was scammed here in Shanghai on Nanjing East Rd. 2 younger females approached me and were friendly. Then it's hot let's have a drink. Well they start ordering alcohol and then a ridiculous bill for 9,999 Rmb about $1600 (Canadian or American). Luckily my wife got a call back home in Michigan and we got the transaction cancelled and my card is now blocked from any further transactions. Now I just need to wait for my replacement ATM card. We foreigners, especially caucasians are I believe their preferred targets.

Hin cragar77 and welcome to Expat.com!
Sorry for what happened.

Harmonie.

cragar77 wrote:

I was scammed here in Shanghai on Nanjing East Rd. 2 younger females approached me and were friendly. Then it's hot let's have a drink. Well they start ordering alcohol and then a ridiculous bill for 9,999 Rmb about $1600 (Canadian or American). Luckily my wife got a call back home in Michigan and we got the transaction cancelled and my card is now blocked from any further transactions. Now I just need to wait for my replacement ATM card. We foreigners, especially caucasians are I believe their preferred targets.

Thanks for the info.. I better avoid going out with Chinese gals I don't know..

A more sorry situation is when you go there and these bloody pimps don't let you enjoy on your own..

Other day, I had a huge confrontation with one of them.. He questioned me, why do I come to Nanjing road if I dont need to have one of his girls... Shit!!

welcome to china! hahaha.. be careful being here. My wallet also stolen here twice

Am Sindisiwe from South-Africa . I just moved to chengdu china for an English teacher job & looking for friends.  Also do anyone know where i can find South-africans living in china... keep in touch...

Yours  faithfully
  sindisiwe

Thanks for sharing your story.. And sorry for what happened.

Welcome on Nanjing Road and the Bund. Never trust young chinese who tell you that they go to a university and want just to talk to you. Nothing against real students. But on Nanjing Road and on the Bund they are fake when they try to talk to you. Just leave them behind. I know several friends who told the same story. It is a pitty, because it would be nice to meet real young chinese and talk with them about their life. But for those talk you better go direct to one of the university campus.
Sorry to hear about your story.

t's really a shame to hear that especially i'm a Chinese too.
i'm from Hong Kong, and i always remind myself when i need to work in China.

"Never trust what they say", including
1. old ladies coming to u ask for food (not money),
2. sales ladies give u a sky high price when u buy something,
3. dropping something in front of u to get your attention,
4. hot girls approaching u (they like western guys coz they think u r rich)
5. when u get lost and ask for a direction.

I am not exaggerating it but it happens in every cities in China, just depends on the level they cheat u. Other than these, China is a great country, enjoy.

Take care & trust urself :)
Josephine

Beware of the "tea festival" and traditional tea ceremony scam (people's square, mostly) they say they are visiting and "Can you help us take a photo?" and chat you up, then later run up a large bill.  Also be wary of the "art students" who invite you to their gallery shows to buy art.

There's a few other scams (American consulate sends updates) like if a cop asks to see your passport (and you don't have it) then tries to fine you some 500 rmb- ask to see their police identification, or opt to go to the police station. They should never fine you for not carrying your passport. (I NEVER carry mine, just a photocopy)

I am a Chinese, shame on them. In situations like that, first not to trust approaching strangers until proven otherwise.

Nanjing Road is a worst place in shanghai for foreigners who are roaming there as Singles.Around 20 pimps approached me when  crossing (from east Nanjing station to people square) the whole Nanjing pedestrain road. Single males beware in Nanjing street.

they extort chinese as well............

KrisD - I too got caught last week for that "Tea festival" scam in People's Square. It happened exactly as you said. Luckily enough I only had about 200rmb cash so could not provide anything further. One of the girls had to pay the additional cost of my end of the bill.

So, be warned, scam artist are out to get you big time in Shanghai. Also watch your belongings on public transport here China. I understand pick-pocketing is rampant, particularly around the larger cities of Shanghai and Beijing etc.

Cathal81

I'm planning a trip to china, and what I read here is scary!! Hope I won't have to post any negative experience about it... ô_O'

Thanks for all the information.

Hi souldbend,yup it's scary but it's not that scary as u thought it might be.lol. just ignore those girls approaching u and everything would be ok. In some big cities,girls tried to make friends with you and then,girls ask u to go to a coffee shop or something like that,order coffee,wine.....and you have to pay for that,normally,the price is 10 times higher there. and girls will get paid,e.g. 20% of the price. So,just ignore them and everything would be fine.A lot of chinese hunting girls on street are also victims as well,lol