Looking for soundproofing material

Hi. Just moved into a place in D2 and it's near a wedding restaurant, so that means karaoke turned up to 11 from afternoon until late at night on weekends! I'm looking for soundproofing materials-rockwood slabs maybe? So I can put them between my windows and curtains at night and then take them down during the day to let the air and sun in.Any help would be much appreciated, thanks!

You could use Gyproc aka drywall for a sound deadener that won't cost you much. Tape the edges with Duct Tape where you have to cut it.

The other alternative is to use heavy rubber padding such as they use to deaden machine sounds.

Of course, hitting the Cong An with some money might be easier. There is an official, legislated, quiet time in residential areas - 22.40H through 05.30H. Make contact with the 'pollution' department of the Cong An in your district. You should know the distance, in metres, between the sound source and your house. This 'quiet time' is also part of The Highway Traffic Act.

I used them to shut a dog up that used to bark all night near my office in Quan 4.

I thought the Jamaican community in Toronto was noisy with their coffin-sized speakers but the Vietnamese have got them beat!

Thanks-the restaurants (plural) are actually located some distance away, but I'm so high up that I hear the sound from them. Is that a first-world problem or a third-world problem, ha ha.

They usually stop by 11 pm, but that means we have to spend all evening listening to concert-level bad singing.

Any idea where to get drywall or heavy rubber padding?

Hi,

If you just rent that apartment, just announce the landlord cos this is the duty of landlord to equip those things. If he doesn't agree, just find another place to lease.

Regards

http://www.soundproofcow.com/images/P/Acoustic_Foam_Panel_Convoluted_175.jpgIf you don't mind your apartment looking like a recording studio, you might want to consider investing in acoustic foam panels. They should be available at shops that sell foam mattresses and may be available in other colors than "basic black". Just make sure you get the high-end egg crate foam that is fire retardant, the cheap stuff is highly flammable and produces toxic gas when burning. Look for some kind of approval seal from regulatory body.

Cheers,
James       Expat-blog Experts Team

Acoustic foam panels in Vietnam:

http://www.alibaba.com/trade/search?Ind … Country=VN

Unfortunately, the 'hot' lead for this supplier:
Deti Co., Ltd
Yenson Industrial park
Yenson Commune
Quocoai District
Ha Noi

is approximately 1,800 kilometres from Ho Chi Minh City! They are also importers and don't sell small quantities needed by the average retail user. They have a minimum invoice policy, too.

Furthermore, they have to be used in a 'container' for fire prevention reasons.