What about computer/IT market in Sosua/Cabarete (PP)

I plan to move to DR, especially Sosua/Cabarete. I'm programmer/graphic designer/photographer/media engineer...  I work abroad for European customers, something like an IT-Globe-Trotter and I'm expat from more than 20 years, in Europe, Asia, Africa... Currently, I'm in Madagascar, but it's a bad location for me and my son, so I plan to go to DR. I opened another topic about that.

But,  usually, when I go somewhere, I try to create also a small business where I live. So my question today, is about the computer/IT market in Sosua/Cabarete? There are computers shops, with IT technicians? How do people to find web designers/webmasters to create their websites?  Is-it useful skills like these there? I found some web agencies working in US making ads on DR sites to sell their services... I saw that their prices are very high (US prices) and mines are low, but I don't know if residents there, need sometimes computer/programming skills and how do they do to find a solution for their needs.

It could be useful for me to have a better idea about IT in Sosua/Cabarete.

Thank you so much for your help.

Ray

There are multiple technicians and shops here in the Sosua/Cabarete area, as well as web designers.  However not all are good so my guess is that there would be opportunity for someone who is good and aggressive. But that is true in any field.

Bob K

Thank you Bob!
Yes, I believe you but when I look just now, on Google -sosua computer shop-, simple...   my post on Expat-blog is already, in less than 1 hour already on the first page of Google !! Incredible, but that means also, that Google doesn't find computer shops in Sosua. It's for why, my question,  . For me, It's a good sign, but of course I don't know if there are or not. If there are computer shops or IT small companies in this area, they don't have good websites with good SEO because Google don't find them. Opposite, some restaurants in Sosua, are listed on Google. One website is done in US (expensive), another one, by someone who has in construction website, 2 prebuild websites (Wordpress) and most of others don't have websites. I'm little confused.
In Thailand, it's about the same but there are many, many residents offering websites. In Philippines, Filipinos are very skilled in IT because they speak English. In Madagascar, they have needs, no skills, but the country experiences a big crisis and there is no money for IT investments. It looks that among these 4 countries, DR seems a good place for an IT freelancer with low prices.

You need to come and spend a month looking around

BObK

Hi Ray,
I can't specifically talk about Sosua or that area, but probably you don't see many shops or webmasters advertising their services because there isn't that much demand from the local population which mostly uses FB, and Instagram! The foreigners are mostly retired and don't have businesses they want to promote. Those who have the means choose people they know, sometimes from their own country. In Las Terrenas, the French will hire French, Italians hire Italians, etc. because they feel more comfortable with people who speak their own language.
Do you speak Spanish well enough to sell your services to Dominican businesses?

Hello Michita, Thank you for your reply...
To make business there, its only a plus for me... I have already my customers from Europe, but why not... I'm doing the same in Madagascar, but it's a very short part of my work.
No, I don't speak Spanish, not yet! But I was thinking, if there is a market, to hire an assistant speaking French/English and Spanish. I speak French and English. I do also the same in Madagascar where I have 2 employees for the marketing.
I like to develop business where I live. Yes, I know, about DR, I don't speak Spanish, but I could learn, but not to sell my services myself.

Hello. I am am in the web marketing field and live in Cabarete. I also make websites and do graphic design, etc. When I moved here 3 years ago, I was pumped because I thought I would be able to change this little town by providing my services. It seemed everyone had crappy websites, or they thought their Facebook page was a website. I very quickly found out that most companies were not willing to pay what it was worth (even at a very "Dominican" price). I also found out very quickly that people generally do not handle business the way I am used to. So, I decided that I would just keep my US clients and not worry about getting any business here in DR.

That being said, I have in the past year dropped all of my US clients and moved on to servicing 2 of the popular hotels here with social media/content services. They do not pay US prices, but they pay well above Dominican prices. It has worked out very well, but I think it took me gaining a reputation for not being one for funny business before I had the right people start looking for me. I did not seek them out, they found their way to me through some of my friends I have made while here. I only took the hotels on because they are staples here in Cabarete and have been open for over 20 years.

I decided that I was not interested in making websites because I do not want to deal with clients on that level in this small town. So, I have a friend that I work closely with and I send all the websites to him. So far I have sent him 3 this year. I am not sure how many he has made on his own. I can think of 2 more.

So, that brings us to this: You might be able to make a living for yourself here making websites over time, but I would not expect it right off the bat and but I would not expect to get paid what you are used to. Also, it is a pretty small town, so there are a limited amount of businesses here to even make websites for. After being here a while, I think it will get better and better because this town is one of references. It's mostly about who you know. So, once you make friends, business will just find you.

One thing to keep in mind is that a lot of people with money pass through here. So if you are good at networking, you might be able to pick up clients from abroad while working here. I have also done a lot of that.

As far as IT goes, I am no sure. I do know that a guy who now works for me now used to be the IT guy at the IKO office which is based here in Cabarete. I am not sure they ever re-filled the position. So, maybe you can check there.

Good luck!

Also, as far as a computer shop.....

Hi Tracyati !
Thank you for your long post. It's professional and it was what I expected.  I understand what you mean. Yes, I have also my own customers from Europe and it's enough for living in DR. But I like to develop IT/graphic business where I live. I was guessing a little what you are describing because I did not find good websites or very few websites on this area. It's about the same in Madagascar... I live currently also in a very small town, but opposite to Sosua, extremely poor.
Then, about the price, I have, I think, low prices. You know in Madagascar (about same costs of living than DR) I sell my websites  (no CMS, custom made only) between 150 USD (5 pages) and 450 USD (unlimited pages). I think that's competitive price for DR, but of course, for my customers in Europe, it's about 3 or 4 times this.
Thank you again for your post.

I think living abroad gives you a competitive advantage to those you can service from other countries because you can bid lower than people living in the first world. So, the best bet is the networking aspect to the tourist.

Maybe a little off topic, but I hate custom websites for small businesses!!! I can also hand code, but why??? How am I supposed to make a blog post for my customers which is essential to "seo" these days? No no no. Don't answer! Hahhaa maybe we can discuss over coffee if you move here :) Glad to help. Again, good luck!!

ah ah ah... You hate custom websites and I hate CMS... (but I use sometimes blogger...) I code from 30 years (I'm 53). That's my passion also. I'm not the best geek, but I code quickly. Maybe, I take same time to create a 5 pages website than you with a CMS. Yes, we could talk about that with a coffee!
It's sure, that I will leave Madagascar. An IT friend advised me to go Mada but it's really a bad choice. So, I will move. Question is to go where? I have still some hesitation between Philippines that I know very well and DR, It's about the same cost of living, but there are less opportunities to do IT business in Phils than in DR. In Phils, they speak English and they are very skilled in IT, with very very low prices.
Last point, I just wrote to IKO through their Facebook... Thank you for the info. I'll let you know if I have news... Let me know also if you hear something...
Ray

I love this thread - great discussion and some really great points made.

No one in business  takes you seriously until you have been here  awhile.  Too many expats come and go. Too many expats do not "get it" in the beginning etc.

And they want to see how you "behave here".   

Business is slow in developing but is often worth it.   

Strategic relationships are both possible and excellent.

And pricing is very important!!!! 

Networking and who you know is everything!!!!

All of the above is also my experience of  11 years of consulting across various industries and locations. It is the same pretty much everywhere here.

Planner great post. Nothing beats being here and making decisions on fact finding

Bob K

:par:   thanks honey.