Hints & Tips for considering when looking to rent property on Malta.

Hello,
I understand from reading other sites, that rent has dramatically increased in 2017 (? possibly due to the fact Malta has been advertised in International Living etc). Do expats find this is the case? What are areas that have a less expensive rent while in relative proximity to hospitals, services? Thanks, Wendy

This has been mentioned on this site previously, with regards being close to hospitals etc, Malta is a small island so nowhere is too far.  We have a good hospital on Gozo where if you are referred to the main hospital in Malta you can get a free mini bus.
With regards to rental charges, it is still cheaper on Gozo but they have risen quite a lot because of the increase in Malta and the teaching hospital supposedly being built in Victoria.

Good afternoon,

I have a question which I hope some of you could give me an answer to.
Me and my partner are going to move to Malta and I was wondering if you could give us some advice on things that are important for us to have a look at before we land.
Now the big difference between us and the usual expat is that I will be studying at the University of Malta. I have already been in contact with the Uni and although they do give some advice it is not very helpful.

I was wondering if you could give us some advice on renting an apartment I will be working parttime and my partner full time.
also when it comes to searching for a job what would be the best platform to do that?

I hope everyone is having a great day and I am looking forward to your advice,

Kind Regards,

Michael Bruins

I don't know if it still applies but previously you could not work for the first year of studying, although that may have only applied to non EU citizens.

Actually very nice piece of information. Would definitely consider it.

I am also searching a 1 bedroom accommodation in the birkirkara or anywhere near it like San Gwan or Naxxar for long term. Kindly help!

Maximum budget is Euro 500

Thanks

Unfortunately, that is the truth - especially in summers it gets expensive.

The place for you most probably is Birkirkara

As I mentioned on your post on a different topic if possible you need to visit here before making your decision, with regards to your questions please look on search.

I would suggest you come and visit for a reasonable time and try staying in different areas, you may well find that Malta is not to your liking or nothing like you imagine!

The first time we flew in I thought the pilot was landing in Beirut!

We have now been here in Gozo 6 years and have no thoughts on moving away but equally I know of several people from the UK who have only moaned about Malta and gone again within 6 - 12 months!

Good Luck

Ray

Kaydiane wrote:

Thanks Ray, time is sadly not a luxury that we have but we do hope to make a short visit before we come for good to enable us to visit schools and maybe some areas/ properties.

If you intend to visit schools you may not be aware that they break up at the end of June until the end of September.  Also if your intention is to move over during the busy summer period there will be less rentals to choose from as many are rented out as holiday let's, good luck with your searching.

This is a great source of information. Thanks guys. Could you recommend some websites to find (private) accommodation? I tried the housing section here already, but got blocked because I had prepared a nice message introducing myself and send it to too many people......

Robert van Heerdt wrote:

This is a great source of information. Thanks guys. Could you recommend some websites to find (private) accommodation? I tried the housing section here already, but got blocked because I had prepared a nice message introducing myself and send it to too many people......

Are you looking at Malta or Gozo?

Oeh thanks for the swift reply. I'll be working in St. Julians, so i'm looking for something on Malta with good night connections.

Robert van Heerdt wrote:

Oeh thanks for the swift reply. I'll be working in St. Julians, so i'm looking for something on Malta with good night connections.

Can I ask what you mean by night connections?
Do you mean bus services? if so try this website:
https://www.publictransport.com.mt/en/n … ce-routes-

Ray

Yes thank you. I had found that website. So I'm looking for something along those lines. Would you know any websites I could check out?

Robert van Heerdt wrote:

Yes thank you. I had found that website. So I'm looking for something along those lines. Would you know any websites I could check out?

The only public transport we have are buses, the only alternatives are taxis, walking,cycling or driving.

Apologies, I see that have been unclear. It is really nice that you all try to help me to the fullest. What I meant: I am looking for Rooms or Appartements that are along those night Bus lines that were referred to and am looking for more websites where I can find Rooms or Appartements against a reasonable price for the coming months.

Robert van Heerdt wrote:

Apologies, I see that have been unclear. It is really nice that you all try to help me to the fullest. What I meant: I am looking for Rooms or Appartements that are along those night Bus lines that were referred to and am looking for more websites where I can find Rooms or Appartements against a reasonable price for the coming months.

In THIS thread we have:

"Could you recommend some websites to find (private) accommodation?"
"Would you know any websites I could check out?" (asking the person who just gave you one)
"am looking for more websites where I can find Rooms or Appartements"

Chill out a bit please omg, this is a forum full of people who are volunteering their time and effort to you, you are repeating all the time what you want, in many topics and apparently messaging people privately too.

It's unlikely to get you where you want to get.

You need to come out here and have a look for yourself and not take too much notice of Agents websites as mentioned on here many times their information is usually out of date, you definitely need to see the properties in person and not take one on you just see advertised.   Unfortunately you have chosen the wrong time of year to look as the availability will be less and what is available could be more expensive.

Robert van Heerdt wrote:

Search google and Facebook for properties in the areas you are interested in having checked out each bus route. Do not expect everyone else to do the work for you!

Do you actually have a job in St Julian's or are you just hopeful?

Ray

Thanks for these tips. I have recently relocated to Malta and would recommend renting from the agency as at least you won't need to deal with owner who sometimes can cause troubles. I recently rented a place from North Key Real Estate and they helped me with arranging all paperwork when I still was living in the UK. Also I was looking into Quicklets but they disappointed me with their poor customer service.

Very true,but due to avaiilibility challenges,competition,do you have luxary to check for this points and rent the house,more over if you are specific to particular area close to your work place or kids school,it become important to rent asap before someone grab it,how long can you wait looking for ideal house thats challenge

frombombay wrote:

Very true,but due to avaiilibility challenges,competition,do you have luxary to check for this points and rent the house,more over if you are specific to particular area close to your work place or kids school,it become important to rent asap before someone grab it,how long can you wait looking for ideal house thats challenge

You have replied to a two year old post.

Thank you for being so thorough with your information, much appreciated.

kukwing wrote:

Thank you for being so thorough with your information, much appreciated.

Think you posted this on the wrong thread!