Moving to Monterrey, 6th August

Hiya everyone,

Just registered on here, i'm flying out to Moterrey on 6th August to work for a year as a football coach. I'm from Leeds, England.

Really excited to be going out but at the same time a bit daunted by the prospect of life in another 'unkown' country.

One thing that is on my mind is how easy it is to move freely around Monterrey, for example just to nip out for a drink, or a walk? I'm guessing (and hoping) that it is a relatively safe city but obviously I have my worries, just like anywhere I go. I also guess there are good and bad areas?

Also, anyone got any major useful tips for when I come out, I know about the heat, so im preparing myself for that!!

Lastly, is there anyone on here who is out in Monterry at the moment who is English speaking and looking to meet new people. I'm hoping that I can meet new friends out there who can 'hold my hand' for the first couple of months... :)

Thanks, Nik

Hi Nik, welcome to Expat.com! :)
So, is this your 1st time as an expat? Keep us posted with your impressions once you're settled
Cheers
Arlette

Yep, first time expat!!

I lived there in 2002-2003.  If you like beer and soccer/futbol then you will probably like it a lot.  Its quite easy to get around in and most, if not all of the locals, speak some english.  For a large city it was (at the time) safe.Hope you enjoy your year.

I have a relative in Monterrey in case you need somebody to show you around mate.

Don't worry you will have fun, Rayados de Monterrey and Tigres are the local teams, the fans are great. You will love it, besides, it is the 2nd largest city in Mexico. You will see that this "developing" country won't look as a developing one, specially living in MTY.

Thanks Tavodacho