Housing to buy

hi,people does anyone know about  buying property in malta,how easy or hard is it,who would we have to contact,first would be estate agent,but would they arrange the finance etc thanks dave

You will find that most people on here, with a couple of exceptions will advise against buying and even those exceptions rented for a while before deciding to commit. There are inheritance laws over here which differ to the Uk, so I would advise you get advice from a lawyer in the first instance to see how you may be affected by it. Other than that, I hear it's quite straight forward. I am not aware of estate agents sorting finance out but I do know that banks will.

hi justina many thanks for your help,we will be renting for about 6-12 months and thought it might be worth buying then, your advice is very worth rembering, thankyou dave

hi foxooo1,thanks for your reply we shall be renting to start with,just thinking about buying,been malta many,many times,once we move there we will never return to uk so maybe just rent if rent is low,thanks for your advice.dave

rents can be very low , depending on location , time of the year etc ...Gozo for example has some real low rents. were paying about £180 for our home a month here in marsaxlokk .. its a lovely little one bedroom place .. clearly they have made two houses into one but its bigger then my old flat in derby which i used to pay £280 a month for ..
obvioulsy if your looking for more modern properties prices can be a lot more .
the best thing to do is find an idea of areas your interested in living ... and then look on malta park . times ofmalta classifieds to see whats availble currcently for your money . but really you want to be here to view the property and be ready to move asap ... I know some will say dont be rushed but from my experience you can ring for a property at 8 am , book to see it  and in the time it takes you to get there its been rented out .. property moves fast .

Thanks rob, your info is very helpful we move 10 sept. Booked a cheap hotel for 2 weeks have contacted estate agents been looking on malta park,and times of malta should find something ,looking at mosta aera as wife has job there.thanks again dave