Working in Malta hotels.

Just wanted to high light I have just come to Malta staying at my daughters for a while whilst still trying to find a flat in Qwara / Buggiba area or St Pauls Bay. I went to give cv 's out and after 1st day of giving them out I got a phone call next day to work in a hotel supervising etc of cleaners. I had to work the first day of 5hrs to see if they thought I would fit in. Appartentley this is what they do in Malta. Some have to work a week and even longer for free. Then u don't get a contract till you have been there a month or maybe 3 months before get a contract . But if they decided to finish you they can. So its go into work and just get on with your job. Although they have made me feel very welcome from the start. I like it so far but will have to see how it goes. So Malta can be very friendly and accept you for who u are. So hoping and keeping my fingers crossed it goes well. But struggling to find an apartment . You see the advertised in the estate agents and the £300 / £350 prices advertised in window are not that price . They tell me they are all at least £600 Euros. My daughter and a friend who came over from England say the agents can put in a good word for u and get them cheap as my friend had got hers 50 Euros a week cheaper. But as yet no luck myself. I have left me details with estate agents with no luck. I went in to see 2 different agents and 1said £600 Euros a month for a 1 bed in my area I was looking for. Another said come September I would pick a 1 or maybe 2 bedroom apartment up for £300 Euros so see if I am still here then. And if I still have a job. Anyone know of a apartment owner in Buggiba Qwara or St Pauls Bay for around the £300 a month flat. Pauline

I went and viewed one that was 280euros. Asked estate agent to see if it could be lowered and got back to me later telling me I could get it for 220euros.

BTW,600 euros is far too much in SPB.

SunshineLover2011 wrote:

I went and viewed one that was 280euros. Asked estate agent to see if it could be lowered and got back to me later telling me I could get it for 220euros.

BTW,600 euros is far too much in SPB.

It is far too much, it's more likely because of the time of year...People want to rent out for summer lets for more money and/or landlords are worried that people will say for long let, pay the cheaper rate, then move out in October.

Best time to look and have more choice is October to May.

we wanted somewhere in bugibba/qawra but your right its rediculous this time of year, people charge up too 100 euro a night for dives .. however we used malta park and found a place in marsaxlokk for 250 euros a month , so i reccomend trying there . Be prepared to visit and put money down asap or places will get snapped up.
If at all possible avoid agents as they will want a percentage of the rent as their finders fee .. good luck with your search though

Hi Sunshine lover2011 Thanks for your reply yes tried on Malta Park site but they don't get back to u with e mail. Its crazy not that they get loads of wages here. Very poor wages. I just started a job they expect u to work free for 5 hours me in a hotel. Well I didn't really mind as to be fair I was watching and listening mostly. Well first week and a half nearly over. So far so good I think. I am only on £3 Euros and 85 cents an hour and between 25 hrs and 40 if I am lucky . Well not afford £600 Euros a month and wont pay that sort of money on my wages. You also have to work a month in hand before first wages. So hope I get paid for the hours I do. Thanks again Pauline

hi, you do realise that your hourly rate is below the minimum wage of 4.12 and hour??

hi ok thank you for pointing that out . I know most people are on over 4 Euros an hr. well as I said I am on a try and see how it goes basis at the moment. He doesn't do contracts till a probationary period is over. He says a month and see how it goes. Think he said something about bonuses but I presume it will be after 3 or 6months to do with the government. Well at the moment it is 1 foot in the door for a job. What can I do if I say something they will probably tell me to sling me hook. Well hoping after this probationary period he will put me on the minimum pay . It seems that they do what they want in Malta. Pauline

Hi, yes, it's quite common for these types of jobs to work like that (although wrong!) Just so know, the legal probation period in Malta is 6 months. In that time they can get rid of you for any reason and you don't have a leg to stand on. That doesn't mean you wait 6 months for a contract, that should be straight away. After 6 months, they need a valid excuse to get rid of you. Unfortunately, this plays right into employers hands when it come to summer jobs, as when the season finishes, they get rid of you (9 times out of 10.)

The government bonus is paid every quarter, March, June, September and December. It alternates every quarter with a full bonus and a half bonus. (around 150 euro for a full bonus)

hi Cox0001 Thank you very interesting . Well if all goes ok it is supposed to be all year round. Thanks again for your knowledge.

I wish you luck. You seem determined and happy to do most work...Once working, usually a world of jobs will open. I had more jobs in Malta in the first 2-3 years than a lifetime in the Uk! However, you get by, from one place to another and if you like and love Malta, like I do, then you won't mind and you'll be thankful...:)

hi Coxf0001Thank you again for your kind words. Well I would of thought Malta would at least follow the rules of National minimum wage . I feel cheated now. But hey ho see what happens . I believe in everything happens for  a reason. I am a vey spiritual person. I believe in what I want to do for a change. I had had enough of the uk. I used to drive and that takes more money than having a child to bring up. Car driving in Malta definitely a no no. I actually have nt really missed driving my car. Buses are so easy to jump on wherever u are in Malta and so cheap. But from time to time they do get full.