Car Insurance for Right Hand Drive Cars

Hi

We are looking to insure a right hand drive car in France but have been told we need a certificate of conformity for our car which apparently is impossible to get.

has anyone had difficulty with the same prob.  or have you been able to insure your right hand drive car without this cert.

any help would be appreciated.

jane

Hi Jane,

My husband and I had the same problem recently - eventually we decided that it was easier to buy a left-hand drive car over here. 

I don't think getting the certificate of conformity would be too difficult (guess most garages would be able to help you out with this) but you would then need a Carte Grise and car insurance.  The former costs about 300 euros but getting the latter could prove quite expensive (as many french insurance companies will refuse to insure a right hand drive car).  Should you decide to go ahead, the below link might be helpful (scroll down to see the steps you need to take to register your vehicle in France):

http://www.frenchpropertylinks.com/esse … rance.html

Good luck :-)

Hi Wendy

Thanks so much for your help. will definately look at link too.  Its great to get some help.  Feel like a fish out of water sometimes when you have to do these things.  We are looking at buying a another car aswell at home in ireland rather than in france as they seem much cheaper due to the recession but the headache of all the paperwork may just make it not worth it :)

thanks again.

Jane

im in the process of re registering my vehicle in france,insurance companies will not insure it other wise. you can get a cert of conformity from the country in which u purchased it,they have to except it by law,and its cheaper than getting it from toyota france for eg,they charge 130 euros,toyota ireland dont charge at all and they are faster,one week as apposed to 4-6 weeks with theyre french counterparts...ive already been given quotes by insurance companies here who have been happy to insure me.the only problem is the control technique and the headlights.the problem there is they dont sell my car in france.im having to source the headlights from belgium,where they are also cheaper,all in all about 560 euros to re register,including controle technique

Hi Data and welcome on the forum :)

Armand