From Jamaica to Shanghai

Hello all I am currently considering a teaching position in Shanghai teaching English. I am wondering how I would survive. What is the internet like, I have done some research and facebook and twitter is blocked. How will I survive? Is their cable with English programmes? Are there English signs around? How will I manage to travel within China? I am worried because I know its a totally different culture but once I can keep in touch with my family via the internet like Skype and is able to watch movies online. I should be able to function. Please provide feedback concerning everyday living.

Hi ShyB,
There are so many foreigners living in Shanghai and many of them are teachers in international schools .
There is no facebook and twitter but some people use VPN to access facebook.
Internet is good , there are fiber optics cables in shanghai and speed is good.You can watch English programmes on internet .
Yes there are signs in English in Shanghai so no problem to travel in Shanghai but if you want to travel in China there are many tours n travel companies which gives services in English .
You can talk to your family on skype and watch movies online .
You can face cultural shock but in Shanghai you can live where there are many expats or you can find foreign teachers in your school also. So no need to worry  :)
Regards
Anita S

Thank you so much Anita, this makes me feel so much better. I am now more optimistic about taking up the opportunity. A few more questions, will I be able to find flour for cooking and ground produce such as potatoes etc. What is the cost of living like? I already know the salary I would be receiving how much does food cost? How much Rmb can a single person survive off? When a company provide accommodation are the utility bills usually included or not?

Yes you'll be able to find flour and potatoes, and to calm you, you'll have to pick what kind of potatoes and flour, so no worries there. China is heavy into produce markets, you'll find them everywhere, on the street, in a store, in a market, they'll be lots of places to go shopping for produce.

It sounds like you already have a job, may I ask where the area is? Depending on area cost can vary, but thats for rent, so if accommodation is included, then you have a lot of cost down ... unless your pay is low.

But if you buy and cook your own food, you will save a bunch of money, you'll likely have to pay utilities, but they may be 300rmb or so a month (or is it two?), that may be average or so, unsure.

There is a Caribbean community as well, so you will be able to meet people if you start getting homesick, and maybe they can give you suggestions as well.