Visiting "home"

For those of you living as expats I was curious as to how often you go back to visit your "home" country.

For me not very often.  In fact in the last 8 years (since moving to the Dominican Republic) I have been back in the United States a total of 27 days, and 5 of those were to help take care of my mom who had some surgery.

Bob K

I visit the home country maybe once a month. To do so I need to take tram No. 10 into Basel and change to No. 8 to near the border and walk across into Germany. Things are a lot cheaper there so now and then I do some shopping. Get the VAT back as well at the border on the way back, mean sod that I am.   :D

Maybe if I lived that close I would travel back more often as getting some products here can be difficult and would be much easier back in the US

Bob K

I have yet to bother.
My mother pops out here once a year and I phone family and a few close mates at "home".
However, that isn't home any more, just the country I came from.

I have a family, new friends and a full, happy life out here - Indonesia is home.

I have been 'home'around 12 times in the last 35 years.

I visit normally once in a year but sometime i go within 6 months if anything has to be done there........

In the last eight years I visit my home country once... :(
And only for the reason that my father turned 75 at that time and his wish was that I celebrated with the family.
Get the feeling that I will go next year when he becomes  80.

I used to go back for elections but now we can vote abroad.  I try to go back every two or three years.

Well, it used to depend on where we lived (far --> once or twice a year / close --> 5 to 10 short visits).
But since becoming a mother we go as often as we can (school holidays) because our son really wants to see his Belgian family and friends. Skype just isn't the same to a 4 year old...

MiaCulpa wrote:

I used to go back for elections but now we can vote abroad.  I try to go back every two or three years.

You mean to South Africa?
I hold a fond spot for the Cape region in my memory but have not been back for ages and ages.  :top:

Primadonna wrote:

In the last eight years I visit my home country once... :(
And only for the reason that my father turned 75 at that time and his wish was that I celebrated with the family.
Get the feeling that I will go next year when he becomes  80.

Thats not good atleast once a year or twice a year, you should try to go and meet your Father...........

I always make a conscious effort to make the place I live in home.
So you can say I visited home every day, no matter where I lived in the world!
(And as for visiting my country of birth: Between once in three years and several times a year - but only to see my parents or if business requires it, not to visit home.)

Maybe I'm a bit of a pessimist. But just thinking about some of the comments here about how home from home IS HOME.
On the net there is an increasing amount of talk about a possible/potential severe turndown in the worldwide economy which also could be accompanied by social unrest.
Just thinking how many expatriates from Western countries will then quickly pack their bags and come back to the safety and security of the "home" they have long since forsaken.
Be honest with yourselves - because that's one person you don't want to fool !!

Atleast you are having all the rights that you can't get in foreign countries....................

El_Jost wrote:
MiaCulpa wrote:

You mean to South Africa?
I hold a fond spot for the Cape region in my memory but have not been back for ages and ages.  :top:

I try to go to Cape Town as often as I possibly can.

Even East London , Pretoria and Durban too is good.....................

I am back home, friends!!! :)
Had a hectic time.

Welcome back Home mal...................

aryavrat wrote:

Welcome back Home mal...................

Thank you :D

So finally you too accepted that this is our Home...............EB...................

Succeed in your expat family project with advice from other expats

OR