Estate Agents

Hi

Im having huge problems with getting in touch with estate agents on Gozo.

I email them regarding properties I am interested in and don't get a response, is this the norm?

Many thanks

Lee

Hi Lee

I would say it is the norm.

According to your profile you are in England and are intending to move to Malta in about 1-2 years time. Estate agents don't really like dealing with people who are not on the island as the market moves too fast and anything they have in their portfolio ( not website !) is also being offered by most of the other agents too. So they usually have to phone up the owner to find out if any particular property is still available.

So unless you are actually intending to buy or rent now they will not show too much interest. I myself just moved recently and one agent who showed me two places that didn't fit what I was looking for never came back with any other places afterwards!  But I  found my perfect new place through another agent  a few days later. THe appartment was only on the market for one day and while I was signing the contract several agents phoned the owner to ask to view the appartment.

Cheers
Ricky

Thanks for coming back to me Ricky and explaining. It is very frustrating as we can fly over at short notice and look at properties and are prepared to buy earlier if the right property comes up.

Hey ho, maybe we will have to reassess how we do this and rent for a few months before we buy so at least we will be on the Island ready, didn't want to do that really as we didn't to unsettle our pets by keep moving.

Thank you again

Hi Lee,

your suggestion is exactly what you should do ! Rent first and look around. You should even think about whether you should actually buy before being on the island for a year or two. Rents are very cheap and keep you flexible.

Cheers
Ricky

Hi Lee,

Sorry to hear about your experience with unprofessional agents.
Our company Dhalia is fighting against this attitude and we will be glad to help you.

Please drop me a line on my work email [email protected] describing the general features of your dream property and how much are you willing to spend on it.
I will do my best to assist you.

Regards,
Konstantin

HI Konstantin,

I'm glad to hear from a professional thinking agent on this post.

What is your opinion ( and Dhalia's opinion) on the question of and problems with landlords not willing to sign 'Form H' for your clients to get lower utility rates on the residential tarif instead of the higher domestic rate? Do you talk to your clients about this issue and whether your clients will get the correct rate? Is Dhalia fighting on this front too?

I sure you ,as a professional thinking agent, are aware that this issue is of increasing importance for informed rental clients.

I look forward to hearing back from you.
Ricky

Hi Konstantin,

no answer is also an answer!

So you and your company Dhalia do not have an answer to my question? You were fast to post your commercial offer but maybe you should have kept your mouth closed !

I will keep this post active until we get an official answer from Dhalia. Too many of your potential clients are being ripped off by tax-evading landlords. I hope you and your company do not support this !

This might not be the best promotion for Dhalia so please get back to us with an answer ASAP.

Cheers
Ricky

still no reply  :dumbom:

Don't hold your breath waiting for a reply.
I think you will find that Dhalia  like other agents are more worried about landlords not giving them properties to rent!
There are always gullible new arrivals about.

Terry

Konstantin - you and Dhalia have a chance to stand out from the crowd here, but if you dont reply people will assume the worst

just as i already think the worst of any estate agent who doesnt speak out and act accordingly publicly about this shameless activity

and just for the record  - the first agent who actually provides a proper ethical service with real integrity and advertises properties with guaranteed residential rate - and can be seen to be providing a search criteria for such within their search engined web sites  -will be a real winner. and can take the  biscuit and everyones custom

Lets not kid ourselves  - why do these landlords insist on telling lies or being deliberately deceitful regarding the rate - if theyre worried about tax - be tax compliant, declare it and put the rents up - people will then be in no doubt what the real costs are and will move on to more affordable properties, if they cant afford it -There is absolutely no need for all this and the damage to Malta and its people plus court battles, garnishee orders and very public forums of disgruntled tenants etc - get real guys get regulated and be tax compliant its simple really..... all this is making a rod for your own backs - it will happen at some point - it is not going away and the number of people who are now aware of this scam is getting larger by the day

Hi all,
First, let me apologise for not making the time to respond immediately after I did my research on the matter.
The thing is I am involved in sales, and lettings info required me to do some research.
I well realize I must keep my mouth shut if my only goal was to make cheap PR of our company.

Now the problem with some landlords is they try to avoid income tax thus are not declaring their rent contracts with the authorities.
People reluctant to declare the income would be against filling form H as well.

So far my colleagues do not distinguish landlords willing to have the form H filled from the rest.
We could just advise people how "decent" somebody is.
Anyway, one must always bring up this subject while negotiating with your future landlord.

My practical advise is to get in touch with the "Up in Arms" group.
I am a supporter of it, and the group managed to get enough attention on the matter.
Also, I know they are sourcing properties in all areas of Malta where the landlords would enable you to pay residential rates.
Please find more on their page here: facebook.com/groups/371466666251933/

I hope I managed to shed some light on the matter.

Cheers!

Thanks for getting back to us Konstantin.

As you are in sales, whats your view as to why so many properties on estate agents websites are no longer available - it just seems so unprofessional, and a major issue with foreigners looking to move to Malta

Hi All,

What is the average amount the real estate agent takes for his/hers services?
Thanks,
D.

Hi guys,

I agree that having properties no longer available on your website is not nice, and having too much of them is plain unprofessional.
On the other hand the availability in database cannot be 100% accurate since it is updated like weekly or monthly. Also the best offers or the bargains are sold within days.
The best approach is to reach the agency giving them your desired property features and price range, and the good agents will call you with the currently available properties close to what you need.
Of course you could mention the particular ones you saw on the website.
I have some people inquiring from the UK so I give them my best advice and we plan viewings together according to their time in Malta. However, nobody can guarantee that certain apartment will be available in 4 months time.

The standart agent commission is covered by the seller. In the case of lettings, the tenant pays a commission of 50% of the monthly rent, and so does the landlord.
The agent is supposed to ensure that the transaction is properly made and disclose all available information for the property.

also what service does a tenant get from the estate agent - after all they pay a fee too not just the landlords - or is the fee really half of the landlords fee - i would apppreciate clarificiation on this point - - what responsibility do you take after the commissions have been paid and what actions in support of a tenant do you offer when things undoubtedly go wrong  - I am reliably informed by ARMs that its the landlords responsibility to  declare to the tenant what the rate is for utilities in their properties.. what is your (ie Dahlia) stand in this matter

Do you as a professional outfit in real estate make sure that this point is fully  clarified at point of sale when negotiations are made. I also have it on record that many agents do not discuss it and often only offer the information when specifically asked  - that i think is a major problem - there is a moral obligation i think to declare ALL budgetary material facts to the prospective tenant  thus no hidden costs are encountered. Failure to do so often leads to the many publicised accounts of abusive behaviour on  both sides when the truth eventually comes out

usually 50% of rent by both landlord and tentant - but can be as much as 100% of rent

Hi ToonArmy,

The sad truth is agents do not discuss the utility rates when negotiating unless this question is asked by the tenant.
Please refer to the whitelist made by Up in Arms group, as they are kind enough to search for landlords who readily will provide the fair rate.
You could totally include this clause in your favour in the rent contract.

What the agent makes sure at the negotiations stage is a proper contract is drafted and duly signed.
Should one require assistance with any issue the agent could advise him and refer him to a lawyer.

The charges rule in our company is strict - the total commission is 100% of the month's rent and both parties pay half of it.
This is how a tenant pays 50% and the landlord also pays the same 50%.
Other companies or freelance agents are free to ask for different amounts, and people are free to choose what's best for them.

to be fair, one pays 50% + 18% tax ;)

you still make no comment as the after sales service you give the tenant as it appears  the landlords gets the best deal in terms of that matter.

with respect id go as far as to say the websites are a waste of time and effort theyre never updated and cannot possibly be regarded as a true reflection of the market on any given day or eeek or month

Hi mate,

The most of the service is finding the right property for the client, negotiating and ensuring the contract is in place.
This is basically what the tenant pays for.

This contract is your guarantee that any disputes could be resolved with some legal help.
If you buy a car the after sales support is vital, as you would need checkups, regular service, spare parts and some  years of guarantee.
In the case with our service there isn't much to do after both parties are happy with the agreement and obey to it's terms.

Cheers

EXCEPT IF THE TERMS ARE ILLEGAL

AND FULL DISCLOSURE HAS NOT BEEN GIVEN

Lets say for example neither the landlord (which is the norm) nor the agent gave full disclosure in the real costs and tariff relevant to the property and there is a dispute over the exhorbitant bills eventually rendered for payment (this can be upto one year) -as most landlords declare their property empty and request only one bill per yr....which as we now know is far too late for any tenant to do anythin about it ....... thus a dispute arises - where do you the agents stand

well clear i think!!!!! jingling the pockets of commissions