Windows XP bows of the scene as of today, April 8, 2014

Windows XP support discontinued, user data at risk
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/windows-x … 45311.html
Read the comments below the article to see what average computer users say.

I can't remember if news about Windows '95, '98, ME, NT and 2000 going out of fashion has been as dramatic as this one.

A few days ago, it has been announced that Windows 9 will be released around the same time in 2015.
News through the grapevine says the release will be sometime late in 2014.  :par:

I think by this they are going to force the windows xp users to change their system to anew version..........may be i am wrong but i personally feel this is another way of keeping yourself in the market.........

It's not just 'keeping yourself in the market'.

Things and the Internet environment changes daily.  As such the operating system must be continually upgraded to face new challenges, new technologies and ... new security threats.

Did you switch to new OS or are you leaving it for the last minute of the last hour?  :o

I have windows vista and one windows 8.............

Windows XP could not face up to the times.
Out with the old, in with the new.  :D

There is a war going on at all times: the good guys against the bad guys.  To see what I mean, read the article below.

Heartbleed security flaw: How to protect yourself
http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/breakout … 52932.html

Hi John,

While the end of user support for Windows XP is going to be really a big problem for banks and big businesses the average home computer user isn't going to have any problems whatsoever.

Why not? Simply because they need only have their original software in the event they should need to re-install the operating system. Their data isn't going to be any more or less vulnerable than it already is since it's not XP that is now protecting their operating system, but rather their anti-virus programs and those are still going to protect computers using XP.

I know of very few home computer users who are physically hooked up to big networks so they're not going to be as prone to hacking as business computer networks.

What Microsoft is doing here is setting off a scare campaign to convince the uninformed to upgrade to new, much more expensive and less effective platforms because their market is shrinking.

Ask yourself one simple question... Why is it that all the big businesses worldwide and almost all banks have stuck with XP for so long? Well, that's because it was the perfect and most user friendly version of Windows to ever hit the market. Vista almost killed Microsoft because it was pure garbage, Windows 7 had so many problems principally with issues surrounding permissions that people are still reeling, Windows 8 isn't doing as well as expected and many computer user have finally gotten to the point where they don't upgrade simply to show off the fact that they've got the latest version of Windows anymore. It's not got the OMG factor that it once had and they're sick of Microsoft taking everybody for a ride by coming out with a newer version every couple of years that are nothing more than glorified Beta Versions full of problems, highly over-rated and highly overpriced!!!

Personally I have Windows 7 only because my XP computer died and my new one came with 7, I tried Vista, it was the absolute worst thing on the market ever, I'm not a happy camper with 7. If I could lay my hands on an original copy of XP I'd wipe my hard drive and downgrade it to XP in a heartbeat. I flatly refuse to use 8 if you paid me, I'm that put off on Microsoft products and their blatant policy of "FORCED CONSUMPTION"!

Cheers,
William James Woodward, Expat-blog Experts Team

wjwoodward wrote:

Hi John,

While the end of user support for Windows XP is going to be really a big problem for banks and big businesses the average home computer user isn't going to have any problems whatsoever.

Why not? Simply because they need only have their original software in the event they should need to re-install the operating system. Their data isn't going to be any more or less vulnerable than it already is since it's not XP that is now protecting their operating system, but rather their anti-virus programs and those are still going to protect computers using XP.

I know of very few home computer users who are physically hooked up to big networks so they're not going to be as prone to hacking as business computer networks.

What Microsoft is doing here is setting off a scare campaign to convince the uninformed to upgrade to new, much more expensive and less effective platforms because their market is shrinking.

Ask yourself one simple question... Why is it that all the big businesses worldwide and almost all banks have stuck with XP for so long? Well, that's because it was the perfect and most user friendly version of Windows to ever hit the market. Vista almost killed Microsoft because it was pure garbage, Windows 7 had so many problems principally with issues surrounding permissions that people are still reeling, Windows 8 isn't doing as well as expected and many computer user have finally gotten to the point where they don't upgrade simply to show off the fact that they've got the latest version of Windows anymore. It's not got the OMG factor that it once had and they're sick of Microsoft taking everybody for a ride by coming out with a newer version every couple of years that are nothing more than glorified Beta Versions full of problems, highly over-rated and highly overpriced!!!

Personally I have Windows 7 only because my XP computer died and my new one came with 7, I tried Vista, it was the absolute worst thing on the market ever, I'm not a happy camper with 7. If I could lay my hands on an original copy of XP I'd wipe my hard drive and downgrade it to XP in a heartbeat. I flatly refuse to use 8 if you paid me, I'm that put off on Microsoft products and their blatant policy of "FORCED CONSUMPTION"!

Cheers,
William James Woodward, Expat-blog Experts Team

Hi James, :)

1). I am more inclined to believe that every OS needs upgrading to face the new 'music' and be in tune with the times.
I do not see how you and I could still have used Windows 3.1 or '95 today.

2). All my computers were XP SP3 and very well maintained since I make a living off them.

My intention was to buy brand new computers in mid 2015 and switch everything to wireless (headset, keyboard, mouse and monitor).

Now because of Windows XP going out, I had to buy new PCs with Windows 7, and I shall retrofit the old ones with Windows 7 too for my external office for my staff.  They only need e-mail and word processing but not on XP anymore.  I saw Windows 7 selling for $80 - $100 on the Net, so it's no big deal.

I shall buy new PCs with everything wireless in 2016 because of the purchase I had to do a few weeks ago.
I also had my first total hard-drive burn out in 20 years since I use PCs late February.  Now I am scouring for a good data recovery service overseas because here there is no such thing, and because although I back up everything regularly, the trouble stuck in between back-ups.
If I cannot recover some 20 files, then I shall be in for a period of 6-week sleepless nights to remake everything from scratch, an idea I am getting used to more and more ...
I am thinking that if I have to re-write the old, lost code, maybe I discover something new which I could not have discovered if it had not been for the hard drive total blackout.  I have many people depending on my work James and I simply cannot just forget about some lines of code.

3). I never had MAC PCs and know very little of Linux to use it, not to say that over the years I was reluctant to learn and switch to Linux completely because of the many expensive software packages for Windows I used.
I never minded an occasional PC malfunction because I always have several spare PCs ready to take over from where the main one left off.

I never used home/office network and only used my PCs as standalone machines with spare PCs on stand by.  For my trading station I always used a main PC, and three back ups.  If one lets me down, I immediately turn on the 1st back-up, if the 1st back up lets me down, I immediately turn on the 2nd back up and if the 2nd back up lets me down, I can immediately turn the 3rd back up on. It never happened for me to come down to switching the 2nd or 3rd back up.

Believe me or not, every time I had a PC problem (minor or major) over the years, I always thanked Bill Gates, thinking that it's better to have the problems of owning computers than the problems of owning no computer at all.  :cool:

I used local talent for PC repairs but with these new platforms allowing tech support to log into my PC and fix everything remotely, I shall begin using tech guys from overseas.
It's amazing what could be done these days ...
The computer has become an extension of my hands ...  :D

Good bye XP, thank you for the company!
Everything works until it no longer works ...  :cool:

Sir Hurry up.............
I think till now no news has come of any Windows XP failure but might be very soon we will be listening this...........

By the way, computers with XP will continue working for the next 20+ years for writing letters, accounting, graphics design, playing games, etc. privately but NOT connected to the Internet.

Then it is not bad  news Sir, for internet we can changed......

Thanks and Regards,
Anil

Even DOS had to be replaced.  :o

Like I said before: we are in the Stone Age era of computer usage.  :par:

This is just another ruse to make money, by one of the biggest companies in the world.
Estimates say that over 20% of PCs still run XP, and many of them in mission-critical government and corporate functions (e.g. 90% of all ATMs worldwide!!!). These organisations can and will pay Microsoft for continued, individual support and updates (which were free until now).
Only the (relatively few) private users will upgrade or continue use without support.

If you purchased a new PC around 2006/2007 with XP in it, you can safely buy the Windows 7 OS from online retailers and have it installed in that computer.  :top:

There you have it: you save money instead of paying for a brand new PC which now comes with Windows 8.1 in it.

Buy brand new PC only when Windows 10 comes out.

If by that time your computer work did not pay, there will be no reason to buy new computer though.

Throw the old PC away and quit thinking that you will get rich or smart it in the future.  :cool:

Mostly people are doing this and they have downloaded in the outer verson so now they will do it for this also..........

Share your expat experience and get in touch with other members

OR