Moving to Riyadh in July

Hi everyone, My name is James, i will be working at King Abdulaziz Medical City as a Paramedic. I will be living at the hospitals compound. Does anyone know what the compound is like?

Welcome James!  I can't answer your question, but Im sure you'll fid the accommodations fine.

Welcome on Expat.com James :)

I believe this is located in Jeddah? I have a friend who works as a Cardio Anaesthetist at King Fahd Medical City in Riyadh and they offer an excellent contract and facilities.

Welcome aboard James - all the way from Lafayette, Louisiana.

I know there is an American paramedic working in Jeddah.

He posts on the Jeddah forum.

Go to the Jeddah link (Destinations-Saudi-Jeddah)

His name is mtwilson (Mike)

Hope this helps

Welcome, James.
This is gonna be one hell of a change from Lafayette, my friend.

Good luck.

James,
I am also a U.S. Paramedic heading to Saudi for work. My work visa is being completed in DC right now. I should be there this month or next. I will be in Riyadh with the SRCA rapid response vehicles doing ALS intercepts. I highly reccomend you pick up a book called "Paramedic to the prince" It was written less than a year ago bye an american Paramedic who worked in Saudi for 10 years. I think he also worked at the hospital you will be working at. The author is great and has answered many of my questions by email.
You got a space on the hospital compound!? You lucky dog let me know if you need a couple room mates. We do not have a compound and get a housing allowance to try and find our own(which is very hard)
- Mike

Wlecome to Expat.com and to Riyadh, Shulz! :)

Looks like the Paramedics are invading the city. Welcome guys. Enjoy the summer...

Welcome to the Forum Shultz!  Im sure you'll enjoy the country (maybe not the heat) and Its nice to know we have US Paramedics in in the city. 

How do we get you guys to come out should we have an emergency?  :D

I am not sure what the number to call is lol. Ill have to let you know when I get over there. The Paramedics in the hospitals will be able to help you a lot more than us though. We have been having a difficult time getting basic supplies and medications out in the field. There is not enough of us to put us on ambulances so we are in Rapid response vehicles that look kind of like police vehicles, I.E. Suburbans and Toyota camerys. We try and intercept the ambulances or get there before they do if its an urgent call. My friend has been over there 2 months and it sounds like the whole thing is still a work in progress.
Ill have to add my blog to here. its mikerockssaudi.blogspot.com

Of course you know the number here is 997, but there is never a garauntee you will get an American, more than likely an Egyptian doctor and a few Saudis.

Shulz is right, the system for the Red Crescent (more than a few of you currently working at the hospitals know us as the "dead crescent") is basic, but still coming along. If I ever got injured off compound I would take an American paramedic with a few supplies over a fully stocked ICU with Egyptian trained physicians any day... Nothing against the doctors, I am sure they are great in a hospital setting and all, but a paramedics comfort zone is in the streets getting down and dirty (those of you who are familiar with the field will know what I mean)

As far as reading "Paramedic to the Prince" I found a lot of the information to be dated and in some ways derogatory. I have yet to see a lot of what the author speaks of in his book as a reality here in Riyadh. Then again, he was here for many more years than i will be, and probably had many more opportunities to see the country than i have. I think i heard a rumor that the book had been banned in Saudi? That may be totally false, but anyway...So as with any literature, pick and choose what you take as gospel lightly...I will also add that this is completely my opinion, I encourage you to pick up the book and judge for yourself, just don't let it be your only source of information on Saudi Arabia.

Sorry to hijack the thread... I have nothing to add about the compound situation except that it is probably better than where we are currently staying, so good on you! Most of the hospitals have good compounds with a decent social life, or so I hear...I see quite a few nurses from King Faisal at the embassy regularly and they seem happy with their current situation, other than not being able to have guests (which probably keeps them out of trouble anyway, we know how those nurses can be.)

Sorry to hijack the thread..

Didn't seem like a hijack, at all. 

I didn't realize that EMTs from back home were such a commodity here.  Good on ya.

And they enjoy Embassy parties, too.

Thanks for the heads up guys!  Yes, thought about 997, but would prob get a non-english speaker and in an emergency, thats not a good idea.  Would love to have a number to call as a back up -  Will get it at the next Embassy party!  lol  Its just nice knowing that there are US EMTs in the area that can assist if necessary.  Thanks for your service in KSA and for what you guys do!!

Well I am happy to help in any way i can. Believe it or not, many of the Saudis on the ambulances have some basic English, and they posess the basic skills to control your bleeding and take you to the hospital of your preference, where the doctor there will promptly begin the process of turning what might have been a minor emergency into a major catastrophe...

Also, there are many sharp South African's with advanced EMT certs on the ambulances as well...they speak great English and I would take them over most of the doctors any day.

So, all said, I would say your chances of getting someone fluent in English are 1 in 5. The chances of getting someone who can muddle through with you in broken English are 2 in 5. The chances of you getting someone who knows no English whatsoever are 1 in 5. And lastly the chances that you just might be better off forgetting 997 all together and taking a taxi or calling a friend, are 1 in 5.

There is a presence of Western paramedics with SRCA from countries including America, Australia, Germany, South Africa, and UK. The numbers are growing steadily. We are working at the street level right now trying to get the system up to a standard the people of this country deserve. Some of us are also working on getting the flight program back off the ground (pun totally intended).

Sadly, unless we pre arrange a time to meet, or I bump into you at a social function, if we meet, you are probably having a really bad day... I am always willing to help though!

TE

wy not start a Paramedics call center here on the expat-blog forum where abyone can post emergency situations or even call a number to seek emergency help if and when necessary?

Hey Travis update your blog man! I hope to finally meet you next month. I have been processing for 7 months now... but it looks like my work visa should be done any day now, finally!

I updated it yesterday... I know i have been lax.

Check it out... I rode someone's moped at an accident scene and ended up having an accident of my own!

Hi . What recurring company did you go through to get work? I am trying to get to Rhyaid to work. I am a 35 year paramedic. Any helpnwoukd be greatly appreciated

Hello DeanBest,

Welcome to Expat.com  :cheers:

You will have better luck by asking your question as a new thread on the Riyadh forum.

Since this thread is old and inactive, you may not get any answer here.

Cheers,

Cheryl
Expat.com team.

Hi Cheryl

Thanks for the tip