Is this correct?? bringing a van into Malta?

Hi, we are trying to figure out whether to make the move driving to Malta in the van, as husband needs all his tools for his work, or flying over, shipping the tools and buying a van. I have just come across this... I'm wondering if its true?

Apply for permanent residence. When this is accepted, you are allowed to bring in one foreign vehicle per person. This is tax-free, so you are allowed to change your foreign plates to Maltese ones without incurring import charges. However, when you sell the vehicle, you will be liable to pay the duty on it. Take your permanent residence papers, passport and car's papers to the Department of Transport in Floriana, and they will register it as a Maltese car with new papers and you will get a new Maltese number plate.

This is outdated info, referring to a residence scheme no longer available

stef88 wrote:

Hi, we are trying to figure out whether to make the move driving to Malta in the van, as husband needs all his tools for his work, or flying over, shipping the tools and buying a van. I have just come across this... I'm wondering if its true?

Apply for permanent residence. When this is accepted, you are allowed to bring in one foreign vehicle per person. This is tax-free, so you are allowed to change your foreign plates to Maltese ones without incurring import charges. However, when you sell the vehicle, you will be liable to pay the duty on it. Take your permanent residence papers, passport and car's papers to the Department of Transport in Floriana, and they will register it as a Maltese car with new papers and you will get a new Maltese number plate.

If you have owned the vehicle for more than two years you can apply for exemption from paying the import tax.
Be prepared to jump through hoops to get it as they are very pedantic about the proof required.
If you get exemption be aware that you will still have to pay import tax if you sell or dispose of the vehicle in Malta.
It will depend on how much you value the van as to whether its worth bringing it over but vehicles are expensive in Malta and if the van is fitted out as you want it then it may be worth bringing it over.

Terry

Thanks, we havnt owned it for 2 years and it isn't that important to us its really just to bring his tools over.
ive tried to check on the website links the cost it would be to bring in and it doesn't pick his van up for some strange reason, also when it asks for the registered year it only goes to 2006 and the van is older than that, so is there another way of finding out?

If its that old I wouldn't bother, the registration tax may well  be more than its worth!
You could email TM and ask, they actually do respond to emails albeit slowly.

Terry