Why are so many expats hostile on some of these threads?

On the thread regarding harm caused by fast food outlets and Vietnamese non-comprehension of Vietnamese there appears to be some pretty negatively aggressive conversation. More than once I have used the negativity of the word "ad hominem" wherein one attacks the speaker rather than the opinion. I find myself wanting to jump into the fray but for the most part try to stay civil. I go into District one every week and occasionally meets expats (as opposed to tourists) and quite frankly can't stand about 98% of them. Whatever their views are, they refuse to acknowledge they might be able to look at something from another point of view. On one thread we have a self proclaimed holy man who is going to take his ball and go home, we have Viet Kieu who seem to think their birthright gives them an edge on wisdom, we have some who think whatever the current thread is there are weightier problems etc. I don't agree with many of them but I really enjoy hearing their point of view. Most expats I meet are serious drinkers and pot smokers; I rarely drink and don't smoke anything. I guess that makes me boring and the substance abuse types interesting. It's true. I'm relatively new to this forum and have enjoyed it immensely; please, even if you can't stand the other guy try to rip him/her nicely.

Why can't you stand the 98%? that seems a huge number...does their drinking and smoking make them lesser people?

Ashard Deen wrote:

Why can't you stand the 98%? that seems a huge number...does their drinking and smoking make them lesser people?

You are right - change that percentage to 50%. Yes, I like some of the drinkers and pot smokers. I am just over reacting to the over reacting.

Spahn Ranch wrote:

Nobody brings pot to an Asian country

Ok, Im lost. Who said people bring pot to Asia, cant figure out what you are talking about.

My eyesight must be failing me, as I still cant see where it says people are bringing pot to Asia. Maybe I need an eyesight check.

Spahn Ranch wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:

My eyesight must be failing me, as I still cant see where it says people are bringing pot to Asia. Maybe I need an eyesight check.

"Pot ... smokers."

Spahn Ranch, colinoscapee has excellent eyesight.

So where does it say they bring it here,it just says ...pot smokers, no mention of bringing into Vietnam.

I do believe wrote:

You are right - change that percentage to 50%. Yes, I like some of the drinkers and pot smokers. I am just over reacting to the over reacting.

Fair enough, who am i to judge as i dislike 49% of them ;-)

I don't use dictionary, so maybe some of your words are strange to me. However, at some points, I can get your meaning.

Thien Ngan wrote:

I don't use dictionary, so maybe some of your words are strange to me. However, at some points, I can get your meaning.

Come in to my parlor said the spider to the fly.........

I do believe wrote:
Thien Ngan wrote:

Who is the spider?

I do believe wrote:
I do believe wrote:
Thien Ngan wrote:

Who is the spider?

Perchance the 'web' is  the interwebs and the 'spider' is/are the poster/s lurking in the shadows to lure the  innocent
into argument.
As for 'pot smoking',I looked it up online.
Is this what you are talking about?------
http://cdn.instructables.com/FP7/O5UQ/G4PBORBZ/FP7O5UQG4PBORBZ.LARGE.jpg

Hello, anyone in there. seems the lights are on but nobodys home.

colinoscapee wrote:

Yeah.
Environmentally sound bulbs,using solar energy from eco friendly ,non carcinogenic recycled  batteries.

jimbream wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:

Yeah.
Environmentally sound bulbs,using solar energy from eco friendly ,non carcinogenic recycled  batteries.

I don't think colinoscape meant those kind of light bulbs.  :lol:

Some people are just rude, mean or angry by their nature. Others have to work at it daily. My casual observations tell me that the rude ones are more memorable. We tend to remember the bad more than the good.

As a relative newcomer to this forum I am beginning to see a pattern; those that are just plain mean are getting banned and those with normal disputes are left alone. I was a little worried that the moderators would be taking sides as so many do on the Huffington Post Site. So far so good Julien.

cannot ride Ducati's with failing eyesight

Jetsetter5000 wrote:

You've lost me.

colinoscapee wrote:
Jetsetter5000 wrote:

You've lost me.

obviously wrong colin

Ok, maybe Im not in the same place you are at the moment.

Jetsetter5000 wrote:

You can't ride anything with failing eyesight. Vietnam has Ducati's?

Yes they do, total waste of time, where can you open them up in Viet Nam, too damn dangerous. They are basically just for show and the look at me factor.

colinoscapee wrote:

Yes they do, total waste of time, where can you open them up in Viet Nam, too damn dangerous. They are basically just for show and the look at me factor.

Speaking of which, I've heard that Harley Davidson is planning to open a dealership here  :unsure

They already have....http://blog.motorcycle.com/2013/12/05/manufacturers/harley-davidson/harley-davidson-opens-first-showroom-vietnam/

Jetsetter, where do you ride your bike?, even on the highway up here,  there are radar cops everywhere, but even 80kph is risky with stuff all over the roads, (  60 kph is almost suicidal on the smaller roads up here, night time even less, VN's like that little blue light to shine all the time ),  and the usual erratic drivers, who think every road is one way only.
I also have ridden large bikes most of my life, and I never thought I'd ever hear myself saying that a FI 125  cc is plenty, ( and I tow a trailer sometimes, although illegal where I live, ok if I get ' permission ' though ), but then I don't want to draw anymore attention to myself than necessary, and unlike many, I have more respect for the eardrums of fellow motorists and residents.

bluenz wrote:

Jetsetter, where do you ride your bike?, even on the highway up here,  there are radar cops everywhere, but even 80kph is risky with stuff all over the roads, (  60 kph is almost suicidal on the smaller roads up here, night time even less, VN's like that little blue light to shine all the time ),  and the usual erratic drivers, who think every road is one way only.
I also have ridden large bikes most of my life, and I never thought I'd ever hear myself saying that a FI 125  cc is plenty, ( and I tow a trailer sometimes, although illegal where I live, ok if I get ' permission ' though ), but then I don't want to draw anymore attention to myself than necessary, and unlike many, I have more respect for the eardrums of fellow motorists and residents.

A little off topic but a good comment. When I first came to Vietnam I was amused that the biggest bikes commonly available were 125 or 135; nowadays I'm quite happy with my PCX 135, I am an old, big belly guy and my Honda can accelerate fast enough to dump my passenger. In Canada I drive at 100kmh+ but here I'm happy at 60 on the highway even though I get an occasional ticket. Here we have to contend with drivers who don't signal, ride at night with no lights and many other hazards peculiar to Vietnam.

Hello everyone >so as to avoid any issues/argument between members, some off topic posts have been removed from this topic.

Every country has assholes, most of them seem to end up in Vietnam. :D

It's odd being a fairly young guy here (23), see loads of foreigners but they mostly scowl if I try to initiate eye contact. I do miss having actual conversation that I know the other person understands.

AlexGorham wrote:

It's odd being a fairly young guy here (23), see loads of foreigners but they mostly scowl if I try to initiate eye contact. I do miss having actual conversation that I know the other person understands.

Think I'll start a thread on this, it is odd.

AlexGorham wrote:

You will love Nha Trang then, full of ' friendly  ' Russians.   I enjoy not seeing Foreigners sometimes for weeks on end, ( unfortunately I have a French parasite living too close to me ), and when I do , they usually only want to hear about the bad things about living in VN, ( although it is good for many laughs ).

I agree with the 48-50% of expats are disagreeable. Not really come across the pot heads that much, but there just seems an arrogance, I'm better/richer than you type of thing, towards locals. having said that I've met some nice guys also...so I guess its not different from back home, ya like some ya dont like some

AlexGorham wrote:

Don't take it personally, but many of us older, more experienced in life, etc, types, have had bad experiences with the younger generation,( s ), some think they know everything, males, and females, ( one on this site in fact ), so we tend to avoid contact with them.  But I agree with you, a simple Hi, is not to much to ask for? ( maybe they have been in VN too long? ).
      Plus there is the not knowing your nationality thing, I personally get tired of trying to understand people trying to speak their versions of English.

In the 7 years I have lived here I have nearly come to blows with three guys, all of them drunken,know-all expats. One even told me he was connected to the mafia as he ran in those circles. He told me they were from D4,as I lived in D4 at the time and knew some of the local mafia through swimming,I said some names and he knew squat. He suddenly changed his story and became aggressive after being shown up in front of his sleazy girlfriend.

colinoscapee wrote:

In the 7 years I have lived here I have nearly come to blows with three guys, all of them drunken,know-all expats. One even told me he was connected to the mafia as he ran in those circles. He told me they were from D4,as I lived in D4 at the time and knew some of the local mafia through swimming,I said some names and he knew squat. He suddenly changed his story and became aggressive after being shown up in front of his sleazy girlfriend.

The odd expat who is a serious pain is almost always an alcoholic.  One American who racially insulted a Vietnamese friend of mine really pushed this total pacifist into a slugging match. The next day I saw him at 45 and he said hello, I told him not to talk with me again as he is a drunken asshole. He said "Whaaat?"  He considers himself a pussycat. He's gone now but I'm sure his replacement is here anyway.

bluenz wrote:

unfortunately I have a French parasite living too close to me.

Everyone is the parasite of someone else.

Just saying...

Alex82Alex wrote:
bluenz wrote:

unfortunately I have a French parasite living too close to me.

Everyone is the parasite of someone else.

Just saying...

Touch a nerve did we?, I thought it was only him, but have heard from many people since, it is common, hope you are the exception.
As I am the exception with not being a parasite, I never borrow, always pay my way, do anything for anyone without expecting gratitude, or a favour owing to me. I am a VN's best friend , but wouldn't be without my tools, and also being a Native English Speaker. ( As in English is my 1st language ).

bluenz wrote:

Touch a nerve did we?

How would you react if I wrote on a public forum you were a parasite? (btw, I'm not the guy you're talking about)
Unless you have no self-esteem of you, your country and your compatriot...

bluenz wrote:

As I am the exception with not being a parasite, I never borrow, always pay my way, do anything for anyone without expecting gratitude, or a favour owing to me. I am a VN's best friend , but wouldn't be without my tools, and also being a Native English Speaker. ( As in English is my 1st language ).

:thanks: God is with us!!!

We, the french, are supposed to be arrogant.
Please take care not to switch roles.

Agree totally.

colinoscapee wrote:

Agree totally.

And Italians,Chinese,Americans,Australians,Brazilian,Indian,Mexican,Nigerian,English,Danish,Malaysian,Indonesian et al.
And as for AlexGorham,you were born in 1990.Many a poster here had families and adult lives by the time you were born into the world.
A child of the internet you be.
Back in the old days,folks would talk face to face and make comments. Now the Y generation cannot fathom interaction with strangers except for online. And if an online poster should offend in any way-Hell to pay.
Alex,you say you're fairly young. Fairly young?? Serious?
You're just a very young man,fresh out of University I presume.Living the new bohemian life in Asia.
I envy your youth.But not to be young in this time 2014.
http://kickstart.bikeexif.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/honda-cub.jpg