Advice for finding an au pair or nanny job so I can move to Brazil : )

Hi everyone : ) I was adopted from Brazil when I was three and I have been living in the US ever since. It has been my dream to go back to Brazil and to get a job taking care of children so I have created profiles on several au pair websites but I haven't been contacted by any Brazilian families. Has anyone been in this same situation or have any advice for me? I know the best way to get a job in Brazil is to network, so maybe it would be easier to find a job once I am in Brazil. I would prefer to secure a job before I leave so I don't risk spending everything I have saved up looking for a job when I am there, resulting in me having to return to the US and starting all over. Any advice or thoughts would be much appreciated, thank you so much : )

Hi Brasil3,

While you have emotional ties to this country, being that it is your birthplace and you've always dreamed of returning, I hope that you are willing to accept the reality that it is likely never going to live up to your dreams. Having lived here for over 12 years now I can tell you that it is nothing like North America or any developed nation for that matter. You are going to find the differences like day and night. You've been raised in the USA and as such will always view things from that reality. You have gained a sense of right and wrong, social justice, how things work (or at least how things should work), based on that reality. It simply doesn't work here in Brazil and will cause you heartaches, anger and grief.

When I came here I had never seen such poverty, suffering and lack of hope to rise from it in my entire life as I saw when I came here and started working to improve the situation of poor kids in the Amazon. It was heartbreaking and nothing has changed, Bolsa Família or not.

So be prepared and be warned, you just can't even try to make any kind of comparisons to what your life is like there.

That said, I presume that since you were born here you have or will be seeking to reacquire your Brazilian citizenship. That will give you the right (which foreigners don't have) of trying out for public service jobs in this country. These are traditionally the highest paid and most secure. You may not have success in finding a job before you come here even through networking, but don't give up hope or let that stop you from chasing your dream. There is ALWAYS work available at every English language school for native speakers. While it doesn't pay much it probably wouldn't be much different from what you'd make as an au pair. The main difference is you'd be responsible for your own accommodations.

Keep in touch and let me know your progress toward achieving your goal. If you need any specific help I'll do what I can on this end and see if I can use my contacts to do likewise.

Cheers,
William James Woodward, Expat-blog Experts Team

Hi
I think you should be in touch with some international organizations that post for the position. But since your English appears to be very good why dont you teach English here im sure your most qualified conversation english to brazilian. By the way which part of brazil are you planning to settle?
Dont worry if you are in sao paulo i can give you a names of couple of school which you might like to try. However you have to be tough, willing and patient. Its not like in the US that evrything is set to be convenient. But since your a Brazileira at heart i know you can manage. First thing you have to consider is the value or  the rate of  R$ never compare it to the US$ because  you might not like it. But if you dont care about these facts and you just want to be in brazil then Go Go Go! Everything here is so expensive from commodities to rentals. Clothing buy  your necessary clothes while your there.i am still in a shock each time I visit the shops most of the quality are not t hat good but the prices  gosh!  there super high. But if your a typical gringo cowboy style.... Then youll survive.
The important thing is you really love what your doing. Im teaching here and its not even half of the firgure of what im earning the US but im happy teaching brazilian its my passion  to share what ive got and its hard at first but im enjoying their company .
Good luck.
Josephine

Hello. I'm not sure where to start. I will just be so happy to be in Brazil with my people and giving back to the community and doing everything I can to make Brazil a happier and safer place to live. Since I am Brazilian (born in Brazil, adopted from an orphanage when I was 3) it has been my understanding that I have dual citizenship, since I am also a US citizen. It is hard not to have expectations but it is easier now so thank you. I have been living in Maine my entire life. It is winter here, and we have already gotten almost 80 inches of snow and the winter isn't over for maybe another two months. I am so much happier and my aura and energy are so much brighter in the summer, I am a summer person, and I have been ready to go back to Brazil, not just because of the weather but to eat, breathe, and live the culture for quite some time now. There is a wonderful Brazilian family who showed interest in me taking care of their son, I e-mailed them so we shall see. Thank you again for your interest and response, it wasn't easy to hear but I appreciate your truthful response. Many blessings and love to you and yours. : )

Brigada e tchau,

Joselicé

Hi Joselicé,

I would ask you to do one thing first before you make any decisions about Brazil. When you have some time contact our member usmc_mv by private message. He's an American who came to Brazil and has recently returned to the USA. He's presently back here for work for a short time so it might take a while for him to reply. Tell him about your dream of coming here and ask his perspective and for his input.

If you don't already speak Portuguese fluently, I would highly recommend that you start learning the language right away. Here it is absolutely essential as English is not spoken widely. In fact, hardly spoken at all outside the expat community.

Any information you need, anything at all just ask. We're all here to share our experiences with you.

Cheers,

Oi Josephine horii : ) Thank you for your thoughts, I appreciate it. I have actually considered teaching English in Brazil, and although I have heard that it is difficult like you said, I know I would manage. If you could let me know what your experience as a teacher has been and what schools in São Paulo you would recommend that would be excellent. Thank you very much. : )

Tchau!

Joselicé

Hi Joselicé,

Actually, you may no longer have Brazilian citizenship (depending on when you naturalized as a US citizen) and you may need to re-acquire Brazilian citizenship under Lei 0818/1949, Art. 36 (Lei da Nacionalidade). You should check with the Consulado-Geral do Brasil that has jurisdiction over Portland, OR.

As someone who came to Brazil from Vancouver, BC over 12 years ago to build a school for poor kids in the Amazon I really applaud your intentions and hope you realize your dream.

That said, Brazil is light years away from being anything like the Pacific Northwest which you've grown up in and are so accustomed to. Despite your roots you will have to go through a very difficult adaptation, a lot of soul searching and maybe even heartache and pain. It is not going to be easy for you by any means.

The plight of many children in Brazil is truly heartbreaking. Many live in abject poverty despite what the government may claim, others are abandoned to orphanages with absolutely no hope of adoption and from my own personal experience this can weigh heavily on your soul, cause great frustration, sadness and even depression.

Having worked directly with underprivileged children myself, I will make myself available to assist you in any way that I can with information and advice in order to help you reach your goals. You need only ask.

My best advice to you right now would be as follows:

1. If you don't already speak Portuguese fluently, start learning it. Learn as much as you can as fast as you can - you'll find it indispensable here.

2. Learn as much as you can about the Brazilian culture and history. This will help you develop a greater understanding of the country, the Brazilian people and your heritage. Join a Brazilian Community Association in Portland. If one does not exist there (and I'm sure it should) then it may even be worth the effort to take part in the very active Brazilian Community in Seattle, WA. I was a very active member of the Brazilian community in Vancouver, BC and in Seattle, WA before I came to Brazil. I was accepted by both as if I were a born Brazilian, which I am not. This gave me a great understanding and deep appreciation for the new country I had chosen and for her people.

3.  Despite your motives (or anyone's motives for that matter) making a long-term move to another country is not easy. Be prepared for a lot of frustration, adaptation, adjustments and maybe even things you just won't be able to accept. Be prepared for ANYTHING possible and be PATIENT, very, very PATIENT. This is Brazil a country and a culture that has developed out of over 550 years of history. It is not something that is going to change no matter how much we may wish it to. Real change takes a great long time and the dedicated hard work of a lot of people. You may not be able to change the world, but you may be able to make a tiny change in one little corner of it. Don't set your sights too high that you'll be setting yourself up for heartbreak. Learn to rejoice from the small changes you are able to make and never stop trying to make more.

Best of luck to you.

Cheers,

Thank you Mr. Woodward for your response. I tried to get information online, typing šBrazilian citizenship under Lei 0818/1949, Art. 36 (Lei da Nacionalidade)" but I did not get a definitive answer. I was three, almost four years old when I was adopted; it was March of 1984. I live in Portland, ME so I will contact the Brazilian Embassy in Boston, Massachusetts. So I would like to ask you, have you been successful in pursuing your dream in building a school in the Amazon? What do you do for work now? That is a beautiful dream by the way. I really appreciate your blunt approach when giving advice, I want to be as prepared as I can be and in every way possible. It would also be nice to hear about the positive aspects of Brazil, you must have meet some amazing, kindhearted Brazilians in the 12 years you have lived there. : ) I look forward to hearing from you, thank you so much again. : )