Seeking quiet life in. viet Nam

I m on recon mission to find a quiet place to live  xpat life and do some good in the local community, loved Hanoi Hue not bad Hoi an has gone all western in the last year with lots of noise at night Quang  ngai is next on list,  can Anyone advise ? Require amenities like airport hospital xpat community Thanks in advance , mark

mark stutley wrote:

I m on recon mission to find a quiet place to live  xpat life and do some good in the local community, loved Hanoi Hue not bad Hoi an has gone all western in the last year with lots of noise at night Quang  ngai is next on list,  can Anyone advise ? Require amenities like airport hospital xpat community Thanks in advance , mark

Hi Mark!
How about DA LAT city?
Have you been in Da Lat city before?
It's a quiet place, fresh air, cool and more flowers....It is the ideal place to relax :)

Try Phu Quoc , cant go wrong for a quiet life there

Tahiti looks nice.
Simon,Tahiti please.

of all the places ive visited id pick Dalat.

Can Tho, Dalat but you wont find much of an expat community.

Happy8888 wrote:

Con Dao is good, too.
how about Nha trang and Mui Ne? have you searched those places?

I strong believe it will be Da lat to head, it`s very quite, cool weather, life quality seems good in Da lat recently as Big C opened last year.

Hope this help

Cheers
T

Happy8888 wrote:

Phu Quoc is noisy as i see, lack of electric, street is very dirty in the raining season...

HoiAn and Danang might be a good choice too. HoiAn a small but popular tourist town and Danang a big city but not as congested as HCM city. Both these cities are close by so when you need big city needs, Danang is close by. HoiAn should be quiet and nice as is a small town. Not sure about the expat community though. Check it out and let us know.

Thanks cussin

Travelling around Vietnam quite a lot, as a local person, I would highly recommend Hue! You cant go wrong with Hue!!! Well, just an idea from local.

Vung Tau City! ^^

Vung Tau is a nice place to live, I live there now. Its very close to Saigon if you need to go there, the streets are nice and wide. The air is much cleaner and there is an expat community.

Greetings Mark,
Da Lat is a wonderful place as is Quang Ngai City. I have traveled to many places and currently my favorite is Da Nang.  The beach is wonderful, few westeners, friendly people and the weather is nice. Even some very cool nights. It is close to Hoi An for when I get the urge to see large breasted women from the west. I have a wonderful, modern, ground floor apartment on the beach for $270 usd. It is my part of paradise.

ancientpathos wrote:

Greetings Mark,
Da Lat is a wonderful place as is Quang Ngai City. I have traveled to many places and currently my favorite is Da Nang.  The beach is wonderful, few westeners, friendly people and the weather is nice. Even some very cool nights. It is close to Hoi An for when I get the urge to see large breasted women from the west. I have a wonderful, modern, ground floor apartment on the beach for $270 usd. It is my part of paradise.

Yes, seeing big breasted western women is something we all need,lol.

I'd say Cần Thơ except you won't have much of an expat community, it's relatively quiet, though.  Relatively,  downtown is the usual blasted music and frightening traffic.  Saigon, forget it, it's an anthill and the tourists will sicken you if the pollution doesn't. I'd go back to the USA and take my chances there before I would live in Saigon.

Phú Quốc is nice but there are a lot more tourists than expats and if you're like most of us who live here you won't like being around tourists much.  They tend to be an unwholesome cross section of humanity.  Tend, I said, not are, I've met some nice ones I was sorry to see leave but I've met a lot more I wish I hadn't.

And the same goes for the expats.  If anything, worse.  A lot of them are alcoholics who come here to finish drinking themselves to death.  There is a Saigon expat group whose monthly get-togethers are all bar hopping expeditions.  Don't get me wrong, I have about a half-dozen expat friends and as many Vietnamese, but choosing from expats in general is about as demanding as trying to make friends in a sports bar in the USA. 

For a quiet life, try Phú Quốc.  Don't live in Dương Đồng.  Find a place a few miles out of town that allows you to reach the city when you need to.  There is a place called Buddy serves the best western breakfast I've had since I moved here.

I live in south Cần Thơ, almost rural when I moved here and now growing fast.  The neighborhood is filing up and the street that was quiet in 2010 is now full of screaming babies.  Not sure if there's any place in VN that isn't.

You'll only find quiet here living in an isolated house.  Between babies and children, yelling adults, and overloaded sound systems playing warmed over disco and screeching factory-produced vocalists, quiet is a rare thing.

Have you reinvented yourself,was your old nick Chris Fox or something like that.

My hometown is Bao Loc city, it s 100km far away from Dalat. I think you can try :)^^

hi ho i think a small house out off town on cham iland

I can recommend Dien Bien Phu a 1 hr flight from Hanoi close to the Lao border.  I have lived here full time for the past year and most of the year since late 2009 ……. no expat community…. in fact I call myself an ethnic minority.  I find random travelers here to talk to ….. some interesting.  Not everyones' cup of tea because english conversations are hard to find …. that aside, plenty of opportunities to help locals improve their language I have adopted 2 orphanages (200 kids) and deliver aid in whatever way I can on behalf of the faithful friends back home.
I have mates rates in a nice hotel that has enough trimmings to keep me happy.
You can check out my lifestyle on FB/nev.tickner (check photos and albums) or email me at [email protected]  if you want to know more.  I have a 5 year visa exemption label that only requires me to send my passport to be stamped every 3 months with a $10 fee.
The valley is both beautiful and spiritual (for old soldiers) and the ethnic minority people give it a very special feel.
Anyway ….. depending on your needs and personality …… Dien Bien Phu is my piece of heaven.
Nev

Hello Mark:
Visit Quy Nhon [or Qui Nhon] city, around 8hours from Da Lat, 5 hours from Nha Trang or 14 hours from HCMC (on bus or train). Just 1 hour flight if you fly ;)

In case this coastal harsh city attracts you, then this amazingly quiet life could work well; just a matter that here there are not much entertainment activities as you can see as in other tourism cities in Vietnam.

Have a good day,
Hang Serena

Thanh Da island in Ho Chi Minh city , Saigon Domaine Luxury Residences also a good option : )
Leasing manager 
Best regards,
Nguyen Hieu Loc

1 vote for cần thơ :)

Thanh Da island floods, not a good choice.

colinoscapee wrote:

Thanh Da island floods, not a good choice.

Sometimes i find it fun with flood :)

Well that shows that we all like different things.

Vung Tau city is a good option. It's not so far from Ho Chi Minh city.
My friends choose Vung Tau to spend their rest life. They are retired guys.
If anyone need support to find information in Vung Tau, I would like to introduce my friends.

Yup, I feel same  :)

colinoscapee wrote:

Have you reinvented yourself,was your old nick Chris Fox or something like that.

Dal at or Pleiku

I would recommend to you Quy Nhon for a real quiet place, off the industrialized life, off from beaten tract, and yet location like a paradise, beach front view and mountains at the back...

Check out the very idylic place to try it out at : havenvietnam.com. Right now, this Guest House is run by a Rosie and Huw from Melbourn. You can either take over this property and the business or rent it to live from July 2014 on.

If you are interested, you can ask me more for the details...cheers, Hanh Sprenger

Hoi an is full of tourists now, Danang was real strange with lots of part finnished buildings nice location but just felt a little weird Da lat has caught my attention with lots of investment close to town, huge big hotel resort complex in town + Endesse resort and golf complex near Datania falls it also has a large horticulture industry  which appeals, Thanks every body, You have been a great help, I`m back in Perth now and lots to sort out   :sosad:  it was tough comming back when I have so many friends there, hen gup lai

Mark, its....hẹn gặp lại, not..... hen gup lai

Hue is beutiful and I have a job offer with training to teach english there

I like Vung Tau.

National Library  :)

so sorry for the spelling, my computer isn`t able to correct this for me, I`ll probably do it again.thum biet

mark stutley wrote:

so sorry for the spelling, my computer isn`t able to correct this for me, I`ll probably do it again.thum biet

Its tạm biệt, not thum biet

any nice small hotel with strong spa and massage saloon in dalat?

MrshyONE wrote:

Dal at or Pleiku

Plei Ku - with SIX MONTHS of flying protein that flies in your mouth - uninvited?

Drive on by to Kon Tum. Cute little town.