From Mexico, with young kids, might move to New Dehli

Hi!
It has come to our attention that we may be moving to New Dehli.  However, I know nothing about the city: which area is best (safest/expat friendly) to live in? what international schools are there (I have a 6 year old and a 4 year old).  How safe is the city?
Can anyone help me with this? I feel as if I'm in the dark....

Best rgds!
Paulina

Hi Paulina,

To begin with, you should join the Yuni-net group on Yahoo! Groups. It is a group where all questions related to expats and international travelers get answered. For school related information, you could post a question there and get recommendations from fellow-expats.

Though, there is a British School and an American school in delhi, there are many other really nice schools - Bloom's, Vasant Valley, Shriram etc.

British School - http://www.british-school.org/
American School - http://aes.ac.in/splash.php

About where to live in delhi - this should be decided by where are you going to work. Traffic is not that great, just like any other major city in the world. So the closer you live to where you work, the better. Though South Delhi is much better in terms of restaurants, activities, supermarkets that carry foreign material, and going out. The rent is also a bit higher in that part of Delhi. Vasant Vihar, Vasant Kunj, Defence Colony, GK part 1 and 2 are some places where you see more expats than other neighborhoods.

Delhi is not very safe for a lone woman after 9-9:30 PM. It is mostly a guy dominated city (country!). Just like any other major city, you have to be careful since you'll be a foreigner. But the good part is that there are many people who will be more than happy to help you, so good luck!

Cheers,

Yamini

Thank you very much and I will definately look into the Yahoo group you've suggested.

All the best,
Paulina

hola pauline..soy de delhi...puedo enviar lista de escuela disponible aqui.saludos.bilal

Gracias eso me ayudaría muchisimo.  Tengo hijos pequeños asi que necesito escuelas que tengan "kindergarten" y "grade school".  Hasta ahorita se de la escuela Inglesa y de la Americana.

Saludos,
Paulina

Hi Paulina

All the best hope n wish ur stay in india would be a fantastic experience.

cheers

though Yamini has given the right feedback, there are several International Schools in New Delhi. But safety depends on the individual too & it's always better to keep associated with your embassy.
Regards
Dev

Delhi is the right place to get settled...

American embassy school and British school are some common international schools here...otherwise, you need any help can ask me!