What Can't You Find in India ?

Hello everybody out there in Gurgaon
Greetings from Down Under!

I am an expat from Australia who has most recently lived in Arabia for several years.

Now it is time to pack my bags for life in India.
The last time I was there I could not find a cheese grater, fitted bed sheets nor fine china dinner set.

Tell me what items you still can't find in India and wished you had packed :)

Hope you will not be disappointed in this matter while in India. You will get almost every thing while in Gurgaon, if not ask us.

I hear you on the fitted sheets! Hmmmmm let's see...for me it's mostly food items or food prep items, although I have pretty good luck at Q-Mart. A few things that took me a while to find: a decent cheese, potato masher, spaghetti sauce, maple syrup, a decent can opener, an ironing board, a dish drainer, dental floss!!!!!!!, coffee grounds without chickory, mac and cheese, any baking products as indians don't have ovens (I used my convection), leave in conditioner, many many styling products specifically for ladies....I can never really think of much when people ask me, but I'll think of a million things later. Best of luck to you!

Naval Rungta wrote:

Hope you will not be disappointed in this matter while in India. You will get almost every thing while in Gurgaon, if not ask us.

Thank you so much for your reply.

I have learned to do well with what I have and am not overly concerned. Having travelled many times, I pack my favourite things anyway.

Best regards to you in Mumbai

aimes79 wrote:

I hear you on the fitted sheets! Hmmmmm let's see...for me it's mostly food items or food prep items, although I have pretty good luck at Q-Mart. A few things that took me a while to find: a decent cheese, potato masher, spaghetti sauce, maple syrup, a decent can opener, an ironing board, a dish drainer, dental floss!!!!!!!, coffee grounds without chickory, mac and cheese, any baking products as indians don't have ovens (I used my convection), leave in conditioner, many many styling products specifically for ladies....I can never really think of much when people ask me, but I'll think of a million things later. Best of luck to you!

Hello

I have now learned to pack my fave kitchen gadgets incl. the coffee maker. Never even considered the oven situation..I love to bake!
I spent 2 years in Arabia without locating a bath plug :)
Still, it is a priviledge to live in another country
Enjoy each day in Hyderabad

What can I not find? Indian men who do not spit and who do not urinate on the street, and Indian women. Indian women are not to be found on the trains; they seem to come out of their homes only for shopping.
But since you qualified your statement by including the word "items" I should say that I can find almost everything, and more conveniently and cheaply. The things that I could not find, I purchased through Amazon. However, since I have had numerous hardships in receiving things from abroad, I have decided to use Ebay.in for any similar purchases.

Micky Fernandez wrote:

What can I not find? Indian men who do not spit and who do not urinate on the street, and Indian women. Indian women are not to be found on the trains; they seem to come out of their homes only for shopping.
But since you qualified your statement by including the word "items" I should say that I can find almost everything, and more conveniently and cheaply. The things that I could not find, I purchased through Amazon. However, since I have had numerous hardships in receiving things from abroad, I have decided to use Ebay.in for any similar purchases.

Thank you for your reply Micky

I must say you have a challenging post residing in Kolkata -
it was rather intimidating for me, more so than any other region of India I have visited. Indian women are out in force in Bangalore and yes, come to think of it, there does seem to be a lot more males on the trains. Perhaps the women have drivers :)
Ebay sounds great, thanks for the tip.