Living in New Delhi!

You are an expatriate living in New Delhi, or you used to  work and live in New Delhi.

Share your expat experience!

How would you describe life in New Delhi?

Has it been complicated to settle down, to find a job, and an accommodation?

Is it complicated to make friends in New Delhi?

What would you recommend to people who would like to live in New Delhi?

Thanks in advance for your participation!

-Keanu:)

Sorry I don't live in Delhi, but stayed there for a month and here's my opinion about the city. The traffic is crazy, but people are nice. As in most big cities you find selfish people too, but I found that Delhi people are nicer than Mumbai's because in Mumbai people usually don't have time to help you, like in London.

As for the accommodation, it's easy to find affordable flats if staying in middle class areas, like Katwaria Sarai which I love very much.

I made many friends in Delhi - it's easier to make friends here than in South India, for example. People are more interested in you and most are genuinely interested in becoming your friends.

It's very inexpensive to employ people to prepare your meals and clean your flat.

What I would recommend... Well visiting the caunnaught place is a must. You can find wonderful silk scarfs, ayurvedic products, jewellery and amazing kurtas. Also try restaurants that serve locals - they offer the best food and the prices are very low. Be aware of the dogs - there are plenty of them in Delhi but they are harmless if you don't do anything to them:)

Simona-India
I support you absolutely!!! Though I stick more to Shahjahanabad than to the New Delhi – but the experience is the same what you wrote !!!

It sounds that you guys had a great experience in New Delhi.I hope that you will visit again. Thanks for the reply!:) -Keanu

Hi Keanu

I've been in Delhi for just over 6 weeks now and most of what Simona wrote I would support. However I have found it a bit more difficult to make friends here! As I'm here on my own I've been looking for social groups to join but haven't been able to find much information on them. That said, I've met some people through attending Hindi classes and I am joining a choir next week, so things are looking up :-)

The two biggest challenges have been adjusting to the climate and the traffic, both of which are pretty awful! Especially if you are coming from a country with quite well-enforced rules of the road (and where beeping the horn is frowned upon!)

What would I recommend?

- The food. It's amazing here and in my experience the dreaded "Delhi Belly" is an overplayed threat! Go eat with a local and try what they advise.

- The heritage. I had no idea Delhi was so rich in heritage before I came here. I've spent so much time visiting fascinating places and there are still dozens of places I want to go.

- The politics. Sounds crazy but Delhi is the centre of the world's biggest democracy after all, and a noisy, opinionated democracy it is too. Finding out a bit about the issues that matter to Indians will really help understand the country better.

There's quite a bit about my experiences in Delhi on my blog: twomilliongods.blogspot.com. Hope that is helpful!

Chris

Thanks,Chris for sharing your Delhi experience with us.:) -Keanu

Hi Everybody

I will go in India next year, from january to april in the way of my intership mission with my engineering school

I will be located near New Delhi in Gurgaon, for the company

I would like some information about the life there, price, transports, locations, etc

And if anyone could have some information to find a place to live, collocation will be the best solution, you are welcome

Any information about health, and vaccinating will be welcome too

Thank you very much

Quentin

Hi all

I am Bally from Birmingham, UK and have been living in India since Nov 2009.

after reading comments from Simone and Kits i have to agree with both comments..although being a 3rd generation British born Indian i found it easier to settle in as i have come to India on a few occasions with Family. Food and language as you can imagine was not much of an issue to me but the culture and weather was the big thing to deal with.

Quentin,

I am currently residing in Gurgaon and have been since i moved to India..to be honest Gurgaon although booming with business is not a great city for students..you won't get much after 11pm..thats if your into night clubbing etc..

restaurants and malls is not an issue as there are plenty of good places to come by..depends on your personal taste really..

have your accommodation already been arranged?

Regards
Bally

Bally

Thanks for your answer, I understand, but in fact I have to find accomodation near or in Gurgaon, because the company where I will do my internship is located in Gurgaon, and I don't want to lose my time into transport.

But of course I want to spend good time, of course I want travel and visit around my location, but firstly I have to find a collocation, next find the easy way to go to job and then we'll see, but I'm hopefull

And to answer you, nope my accomodation is not already arranged, I just found this site today and I'm still looking for

My internship begins in january

Regards

Quentin

@ Quentin

I am based in Gurgaon, although I work in Noida. Just let me know the address where your company's office is based. Based on that, I can advise you accordingly on finding accommodation, prices and transport etc.

Gurgaon is a very bustling city for its size, though nothing compared to Delhi of course. There are lots of malls, pubs, discotheques, lounge bars, restaurants serving all kinds of global cuisines, numerous multiplexes, supermarkets and interesting places like the Kingdom of Dreams. You can have a decent time in Gurgaon provided you have access to some form transportation wherever you are based. The only means of transport in Gurgaon, if you don't have a personal vehicle, is either an cab,auto rickshaw or a cycle rickshaw. The cabs and auto rickshaw are pretty efficient, though not very cheap but still okay.

Other than that, finding accommodation won't be so much problem, but yeah finding good accommodation can be costly since Gurgaon is pretty expensive by Indian standards, though may not be for a European. Rest all depends on your budget and where exactly the most convenient place for your stay will be. So if you know where your office is based in Gurgaon, those issues can be looked into.

Regards,
Sandeep

@ Sandeepdg

Thank you very much for your help.

So to answer you, the company where I'm going to do my intership is "SGS India" and the adress is : 250, Udyog Vihar Phase- IV, Gurgaon-122015, Haryana, India.

Can you see where is it approximatively ?

I'm waiting for your informations

Thank you again

Regards

Quentin

@ Quentin

Okay, thanks for that info. Well, then the best place for you to stay will be Sushant Lok, DLF phase-2,3 or 4 although Sushant Lok is the nearest to main transportation centers. Th best option for staying in any of these places is to find an accommodation that close to the MG Road from where you can access transportation to Udyog Vihar Phase 4. Although, even if you stay in a bit interior area, you can still approach MG Road by a cycle-rickshaw, in case you don't find an auto rickshaw. But, I think you will probably be provided a cab for pick-up and drop by the company hopefully. Most companies do so for their employees. Make sure you clarify about the same with your company, as it will make travelling to and fro from work much easier on a daily basis. These location are close to the main malls, multiplexes and shopping complexes, so ideally finding a place in these locations will be the best option. Plus, you can easily access the Metro especially if you stay, in Sushant Lok or DLF-phase 2 or 4, DLF Phase 3 is a bit far off from the Metro stations, all of which fall on the MG road.

You can check up on Google Maps to get a better idea of these places. You still have 5 months to go, so I think you can get in touch with with your company in Gurgaon and ask them if the can help you find accommodation in the above mentioned locations in Gurgaon. I think most companies do provide some help with regards to finding accommodation for their expat employees. If not, then you can look for rentals accommodation on good Indian sites like 99acres.com.

Let me know if you want to know anything else.

Regards,
Sandeep

@ Sandeepdg

I had received this answer from the company :

·         You may start the internship on 9th Jan being the first day of that week. You may plan and book your flight accordingly.
·         We will help you finding your apartment. Our Branch Administration is already informed of that and shall organize accordingly. Upon arrival at New Delhi International Airport, you will be picked up by our office cab and brought to your apartment/our guest house. K. and/or A. shall communicate you properly and appropriately on this.
·         I'm also requesting A./K. to please check with G. and suggest you on the type of VISA that you would need.

So I'm waiting for further information.

But do you know wich type of vaccination have I to check before coming ?

Regards

Quentin

@ Quentin,

Mate, it seems from the above info, you don't need to worry much about your accommodation as the company will arrange for it, as I had predicted. Even to and fro transportation would be arranged, I am sure.

About vaccinations, I think the routine vaccinations are more than enough. These include  shots such as, measles/mumps/rubella (MMR) vaccine, diphtheria/pertussis/tetanus (DPT) vaccine, poliovirus vaccine, etc., which I think are routine in most parts of the world as prescribed by the WHO.

Other than that, the recommended ones would be Typhoid, Hepatitis A & B. These are more than enough. Most expats normally have mild problems like diarrhea due to variance in weather and food/water conditions. Other than, you should be concerned about malaria since mosquitoes are a plenty in most parts of India except in high altitude areas in the northern and north eastern parts of the country. Malaria outbreaks keep occurring even in the cities from time to time, though they are immediately contained. So, carry adequate medication for malaria, stomach ailments and of course, consult a doctor before you leave Paris for New Delhi.

Let me know if want info on anything else.Hope to meet once you come down here :)   

Regards,
Sandeep

Quentin.dp
Don`t worry, it's fine here!!!