Belgian-American teacher in Thailand

My name's Gary, 56, and a language teacher currently in Bangkok. Through this website I'd like to ask what my chances are to get a teaching position in a school in China. First I wish to mention that since I have only the Belgian nationality I'm obviously not considered a Native English speaker. As such you could say that I most likely qualify under the category "near native speaker". Possess a bachelor degree + TEFL certificate (120 hours) and have 12 years experience in the education field, mainly in Thailand. Did a short spell in Cambodia too. Aside from English I also teach German, Dutch and History. Reason for my inquiry is that I'd like a new challenge once in a while and also that the opportunities for teachers (50 plus) are becoming limited, even in a big metropolis like Bangkok. Like to hear from expats, in or not into education (preferred though) with insight view and possible advice & tips. Much appreciated in advance.  Mr. Gary A.  :top:

Regardless of wherever you're from, you type in English a lot better than most people.  However, I think you're going to have a hard time finding an English teaching job in China.  Not because you're Belgian, but because you're over 30.  Chinese schools love Americans and people from those countries that speak English improperly.  What they love even more are very young teachers.

I'm not an English teacher, but every English teacher I've ever talked to said that the deeper into China you go, the easier it is a find a job.  Most expats want to be in the big cities.  That means more competition for jobs.  Go west and the schools get more desperate.

If you want a challenge, you picked a good one.

Ok Hailey, thanks for your message and info. about this topic. I'll think it over, maybe just plan a visit there and see what comes along. Appreciate your advice. Take care and keep in touch, if u want to.  Gary A.

A visit beforehand is always a good idea.

Hi Gary, I'm a fellow Belgian expat and since we are few, I thought I contribute to the topic :). I am not an English teacher, but I have been living in Shanghai for more than 3 years now and I meet teachers all the time, so this is what I know:

Hailey mentioned some valid points, the competition in the bigger cities like Shanghai seems indeed harder than lower tier cities. I can't comment if your age would be an issue, but it is remarkable that I only seem to meet teachers younger than say 35. I always assumed that was because people just teach for a limited amount of time, after their graduation as a sort of opportunity to get some work experience abroad, and then either move back or get into other jobs, start their own business etc...

That being said, it is still a growing industry as a whole, as more and more Chinese parents want their children to study abroad and thus want to prepare them for entrance exams and the like. I think this kind of specialized - mostly private - tutoring might be an interesting angle to approach the market.

Another thing to bear in mind is: living in lower tier Chinese cities as a foreigner, who I assume doesn't speak Chinese, is quite a challenge. In all honesty, from all cities in Eastern China, Shanghai is about the only place I would want to live.

In any case, wish you all the best. China is in many aspects a country of opportunities and it's a fascinating place to live and work.

Thanks for the message and information Hans. As said I might take a trip to China later in the year, maybe during springtime. Not sure yet. It would be a huge step again indeed and going back to Belgium and join in the Euro mess in general isn't exactly a desirable option. Also the cost of living over here in Thailand is still way lower than in the EU and I assume also in Shanghai. Anyway I appreciate taking time out of your schedule to forward me your thoughts. Hope it's going well for you over there. Maybe can keep in touch once in a while. All the best.  Gary A.