Teaching English in China

Hello, Can anyone here recommend some good places where I can teach/tutor English in Shanghai? Looking to move there for the summer and would like to make some money.

Thanks!

the language training school

Hello everyone!
I am looking into teaching in Shanghai.
I know nothing of the area. Am wanting to know if it is suited to myself.
Is there lots to do outdoors there?
How is the weather?
Is it very english friendly?
How is the subway/metro system?
How is it for using foreign visa cards?
Would love to hear your feedback.

Thanks!

My name is Dionne (a Canadian living in Jamaica). I hope I can get some information about English teaching positions.
The Ministry of Education in Jamaica has announced that they will no long be hiring teachers due to IMF stipulations. There are so many teachers graduating from teacher colleges and many unemployed teachers here in Jamaica yet there is a huge demand for English teachers in China but whenever I make contact with schools in China or recruiters, they tell me that Jamaicans are not eligible for English teaching positions in China because they are not considered native English speakers and aren't eligible for work visas. I don't know if anyone know anything contrary to that - or if  anyone knows language schools/companies that recruit Jamaican teacher.
~Any info will help

dmdouglas1 wrote:

whenever I make contact with schools in China or recruiters, they tell me that Jamaicans are not eligible for English teaching positions in China because they are not considered native English speakers and aren't eligible for work visas.

That's true.  It doesn't matter if English is your native language or not.  What they care about is if you're from an "official" English speaking country.

Jamaica's "official language" is actually English. How ironic.

It can even be seen with a simple Google search - "What is the official language of Jamaica" - you will see that the official language is English.

It doesn't matter what languages people actually speak.  In China, the English speaking countries are US, UK, Canada, Australia, South Africa and sometimes New Zealand.

Luckily not so in Canada, UK and even the states. I work as a recruiter and ESL teacher. Canada, UK, America, France and Japan take English teachers from Jamaica.
Currently,  Japan, England and France take advantage of the opportunity to hire teachers from English speaking countries in the Caribbean. “Jamaican English teachers participate actively in the Japan Exchange and Teaching (JET) Programme, working as English language teachers in various regions of Japan.” See  www.caribexams.org/node/1733 . “Every year, Jamaicans and Bahamians have the opportunity to go to France teaching English during 7 months, via the “Poste d'assistants Program” from the International Centre for Pedagogic Studies”.  See ambafrance-jm-bm.org/Foreign-language-Assistants-in Students even come to the Jamaica to learn English learnenglishinjamaica.com/

however - there are still many unemployed teachers here so it'd be great for me to know individuals like ShellyAnn Wauchope a Jamaican Teacher living in China was able to go there and teach. See: jamaicans.com/culture/articles_culture/newdiscipline~print.shtml
more Jamaican teacher in China - see here jamaicaobserver.com/news/J-cans-cashing-in-on-world-demand-for-English-teachers_8866384

Hi Dionne,

Unfortunately, entire scenario is completely different and one gets all underwater rocks only after arriving to China and trying to apply for a teaching english language job.

I have completely different specialty and never even tried to teach English (though i have good experience of tutoring Russian in India). But after searching for a job and realizing that without mandarin it will be difficult i started my research on Teaching English in kindergartens (it's very popular over here, giving your small baby to playschool where he/she supposedly will learn english).
I still didn't apply to any school or kindergarten, but it is easy to find out that they do have only one requirement: you should be white race, have blonde hair, blue eyes etc etc. I mean there are so many cases when they took ladies from Russia, who had only some spoken language and basic understanding of grammar and pretty much Russian accent, just because of their look and moreover they will introduce her to parents as some teacher from UK or US.

I am sure, if i'll apply, i won't fit into their requirements, even if i'll have dozens of Teaching Certificates and ok, even if they take me, my package will by 30% less than "European" teacher. :) Just have a look at my profile pic. :)))

Hope, gave you some idea of teaching english in china, particularly in shanghai.

regards

Thank you so much for the information. I appreciate it very much!

Hello. Look for english teacher in China (near Shanghai)
We are one of Sesame Street English Schools in China. At present we have vacant position for english teacher. Location is Nantong City, Jiangsu Province. It is very close to Shanghai, just 2 hours by longdistance bus.
If You have a proposition for us, please, send CV.
Best regards!
Tracy and Alex
[email protected]

Hello Tracy and Alex and welcome to Expat.com :)

Kindly note that you are participating on an old thread, and also your advert will have better response if you placed it in the required section of the forum : Jobs in Shanghai.

Regards
Kenjee
Expat.com Team