Moving to Shanghai

Hi Guys,

I had been offered a job in Shanghai and is expected to start working by the 14th Feb 2011.

I am a Singaporean, currently working in the Middle east.

I am offered 28000 rmb net ( without accommodation and car ) tax is borne by the comapny.

Is this a good offer ? Enough to get by ? Where is a decent place to stay in Shanghai ? Budget around 4000rmb. Btw my office is located in Tian Lin Rd, Xu Hui District.

Hope you guys can give me some opinion, suggestions or recommendation.

Thanks for all the kind assistance in advance.

Cheers!!!

Welcome on Expat.com Mosesckwsg ;)

Your discussion has been redirected to Shanghai forum!

I hope that other members will bring their inputs for your various queries soon.

Regards

Thank you YUD for your kind assistance

28000 after tax,hmm you could live a decent "expat" life in Shanghai. Decent means you could take taxi to the office daily, shop at H&M or C&A, occasionally go for Burberry/Ralph Lauren, go for mid-range restaurant during the weekends...and of cause, would be more than enough to buy me drink on Saturday nite in 1 of the pub at Xin Tian Di...kidding

Welcome to Shanghai, I will be start working in Shanghai too in end Feb. Mind to share what kind of job is it?

Hi Vincen_t,

Thanks for your kind replies. I am working in the Interior Furnishing Project Management Industries.

Can you tell me where are you from ?

That's a good offer for your industry. Definitely enough to get by. A lot of Shanghai people live well with just 10 percent of your salary. Usually, the profession could get RMB10000, 20000 or more in Shanghai depending on the job.

At your budget, you have too many choices. I can't say where the decent place is. It depends on your favorite, a distant, queit or busy place. The house in Xuhui district is not cheap. You don't need to live by the company. Just do some research on the subway map of Shanghai. Find somewhere near subway station (if you don't drive). If you pay RMB4000, you can rent a well furnished house (more than 100 square meters).

Thank you, to John Yao and " to help foreigners " for your valuable inputs and comments.

Now i do feel more settled after reading your postings.

Can you guys tell me is it expensive to own a car in Shanghai ? Say a Toyota 1.8L ? or what is a good medium size car to own ?

Being able to drive around in Shanghai is very essential to me as my job will require me to move around for meetings with clients, inspecting the work progress..etc.

I am not too much into the shopping or clubbing thing. More of a home person and like to messed around with my computers or gadgets. So finding a good apartment is important to me. Will appreciate if you guys can give some suggestions.

Cheers

Thanks John. Will definitely like to meet up with you when i am there.

Cheers!!

you are welcome,i'm john,welcome to shanghai,^^

The car is more expensive in China than in Europe and America. According to your requirement, lot of cars could be your choice. The price could be from RMB100,000 to 300,000. I don't want to put ads for any car manufacturer. A regular car in your country is good in China too. Just remember the gasoline is not cheaper in China.

Don't worry about apartments. When you get to Shanghai, you will find thousands of real estate agents on streets. They can provide you millions of apartment info. You'll pay them until you rent a satisfying apartment. The general payment is a half of the monthly rent. The most Chinese rent a apartment in this way.

Mosesckwsg wrote:

Hi Vincen_t,

Thanks for your kind replies. I am working in the Interior Furnishing Project Management Industries.

Can you tell me where are you from ?

Hi Moses,
I am from Malaysia and working as a PM here (electronics industry).
Not quite sure what is the remuneration range of your industry, but what I have seen is that Sg and Malaysian expats pay typically fall within that range for electronics industry.
Drop me a line when you come here.

Hi to_help_foreigners
Mind to advice where i could get an apartment (100 square meters) with just RMB4k? that sounds very tempting. my current rental is 4K but only 56m2 in Pudong avenue. Have I been ripped off?

If you don't have a kid, this is not a bad pay. Kids are expensive if you need to send them to international school.

welcome to shanghai. The living standard in shanghai is about the same as singapore.

Hi Vincent, pudong avenue is more convenient than hongqiao area , so your rental is fine. i doubt it's possible to get a 100 sqm at 4K near train station unless further away from central.

Hi
(moderated: no free ads please)

RMB28000, does that incl accommodation or excl?  Well, I would say it's on the lower scale side.  I am not sure about your work experience, but considering you had work experience in Doha, you should be able to fetch over RMB40,000 per month.

sentosa wrote:

Hi

(moderated: no free ads)

RMB28000, does that incl accommodation or excl?  Well, I would say it's on the lower scale side.  I am not sure about your work experience, but considering you had work experience in Doha, you should be able to fetch over RMB40,000 per month.

Hey Sentosa,
I have signed a rental contract with the landlord for 6 months. After that I will like to move to somewhere else in the city, with hypermarket and more expat. My budget is around 4k-5.5k, looking for 2 bed room apt, is that reasonable?

Hi vincent_t, :)

I think you should start your own discussion on the Shanghai forum for better visibility.

Thank you and good luck.

28000 is enough to live in shanghai

hi guys
i am indonesian, working here for only about 3 month until end of May.
interested to making friends with anyone, to feel the same being foreigner here
please do contact me if you are welcome me.