Moving on daily basis from Bahrain to Saudi

Hi,

I may have to move from my current location in Doha to Bahrain soon, but to handle a position in Saudi in Al Khobar.
I know that many people are moving on daily basis from Bahrain to Saudi and would like to get your feeling and advises. I am a French National.

From where in Bahrain to where in Saudi are you going ?
What is your usual timing in the morning, in the evening ?
What duration does it take for your way and return ?
Do you suffer more on some days than others ?
Is there a kind of fast track solution similar to e gate to accelerate the transfer ?
Do you have a resident visa in Bahrain as well as Saudi Arabia ? Does it help for the immigration to have both ? Is it possible ?

thanks for your info.

regards,

Since no one else seems to be answering your questions, let me give them a stab.  I know people who do this...considered it myself before moving up to Jubail, from Khobar.

From where in Bahrain to where in Saudi are you going ?

Bahrain isn't all that large.  If you are talking the main area of the city (as opposed to the southern end of the island) it's not that big a deal.

What is your usual timing in the morning, in the evening ?

No normals here.  What time are you talking about, what days?

On a "normal" day, if you leave early enough in the morning it should take an hour or a shade more.  More going back in the afternoons.

What duration does it take for your way and return ?

Same response.  I've made it all the way through both Immigration and Customs for both countries in 6 minutes...I've also made it in 2 hours. That's not the causeway, that's just the immi and customs gates.

Do you suffer more on some days than others ?

Yep.  Any time the locals get paid.  Terrible times then.

Is there a kind of fast track solution similar to e gate to accelerate the transfer ?

Nope.  Hahahahahahahahahaha  Sorry, can't stop laughing at that one.

Do you have a resident visa in Bahrain as well as Saudi Arabia? Does it help for the immigration to have both ? Is it possible ?

You can get a "Bahrain book" if you have an Iqama and work visa from KSA.  It costs 200 Riyals, and saves them stamping the hell out of your passport every day.  Worth it.

You can also get a "Bahrain letter" for your car. Costs 50 Riyals each time you renew it (capricious Saudis seem to renew for 30 days, 3 months or max 6 months at whims, to be honest) that you will need to take your Saudi registered car to Bahrain.

You will also need insurance for over there (500 Riyals a year) that is separate from you KSA insurance.

It is done. It is common.  There are Aramco employees who do this every day.  They don't seem to be on this site, though.

Once you do it, perhaps you can work out some kind of carpool with other like-minded folks.

Good luck.

thanks for the infos.

cheers.

Went again yesterday afternoon...20 minutes through immi/customs going.

Came back to KSA at 0830 this morning...11 minutes and that was only because I had to wait a "long" time for a customs inspector.

I've talked to several people and they seem to believe that in the morning, you should allow 30 to 45 minutes to get from one end of the causeway to the other in the morning.  How far you will work from that, I have no idea.

Afternoon times will vary and be especially long when the locals get paid, but only for a few days.

Woaw that's a good timing MrStretch!
And during weekends, how long does it take now?
In the last months of our stay in Khobar (2008), it could take sometimes more than 3 hours from start of causeway till past insurance booth in Bahrain.
We would hate it!!! although a nice reward would await us after that :cheers::whistle:)

Arlette

Yes it is really looking very quick. Hope to be as lucky as you.

thanks again

FeeAcer wrote:

Woaw that's a good timing MrStretch!
And during weekends, how long does it take now?
Arlette

Yesterday and the day before were weekends, though a bit off on times to what the locals travel.

Generally going to Bahrain on the weekend, if you can avoid the Wednesday afternoon/evening rush, you get through in less than 90 minutes.

Most other days, it's 30 minutes max.

They have constructed many new immigration checkpoint windows, and are still upgrading.  Once they upgrade the customs area they will be better able to handle large volumes of traffic.

i live in saudi arabia. i can help you in any way. just send me a private message and i will reply..

good luck