Relocating from Shanghai to Ho Chi Minh

Hi There

My family is relocating from Shanghai to Ho Chi Minh this June. My husband's office would be in district 1 and I would like my 2 yr old daughter to attend an International school. Would appreciate if can tell me

which would be best district/location to live w.r.t

quality of life,
nearness to husband's office,
international school and
Indian & other expat community 

Thanks in advance to the community for the suggestions.

I relocated from shanghai in may with my family and work in district 1. I live in An Phu district 2. Its full of international schools and a great place to live. If you prefer apartments to villas ( no power cuts and big pool etc then I live in a new apartment complex called  River garden and its fantastic with a river view apartment and so much nicer than Shanghai.
Good Luck

Hi adelondon. Thx for your reply. Good to know that the apartments there could be nicer than in Shanghai. eases me a lot. Does the aprtment complex,river garden also has the club house with gym etc, and how much might b the rentals there?..

How about drainage system in district 2,since I heard its pretty bad in most locations. With that a concern, how far it may take to travel from district 2 to district 1.

In some other posts I have read that district 7 is nearer to district 1 and is clean. Any idea?

Hi snj,

Most Singaporeans and Koreans with families that I know will tell you they prefer to live in Dist 7 Phu My Hung (PMH) estate. Why? the quality of life is comparable to what we get back home.

I do not wish to seen as "advertsing" PMH, only that I work there, live nearby spend most of my free time in PMH as I can find anything I want there, without having to brave the heavy traffic, pollution and noise everyday.

Check it out for yourself when you get here.

Cheers, Ben

hi everyone,
I have recieved an offer to work in HCMC.
Have been offered $1700/month plus accomodation plus $50 per day as food allowance.
Just wanted to know few things:
1)Is the salary enough for a bachelor to stay as well save money.
2)i saw in the net about some foreign currency restrictions, so what are the exact restrictions?

Would appreciate a lot for the response coz its a very big risky step (carrer wise a well as location wise) for me to move from bangalore to HCMC.

so guys plz advice.

thanks in advance.

Regards,
prashanth

Hi,

I am Vietnamese. I think live in D.7 (PMH) is better than in D.2 (An Phu) for foreigners. B/c many apartments, houses with pool, gym, park,...,  international shools, restaurants,... there. Many foreigners love to live there.

if you need any helps about life in D.7 (PMH), please feel free to ask me.

Thanks for your replies guys.
I made a visit to HCMC last week and found out that Bin Tanh is near to district 1. With apartments like Manor and Saigon Pearl which has swimming pool, gym and kindergarten, it seems to me a good option. what say?

The city is kind of divided into North Saigon and South Saigon, with Districts 2 and 7 in South Saigon being the more modern. I call North Saigon ‘old Saigon.' Phu My Hung in District 7 is currently the most modern part of South Saigon. Thu Thiem in District 2 is a planned future development. So for now, Phu My Hung is the ideal place to locate to avoid major pollution, traffic and noise problems. I'm sure there are some nice locations in District 2 but I don't spend any time there so can't speak about them.
I moved to District 7 one month ago. Prior to that I lived in districts Tan Binh, Binh Thanh, Phu Nhuan and District 1. I will never live in any of those old districts in North Saigon again. Pollution in District 7 is much, much lower than in the North Saigon area. Prevailing winds flow from the ocean up through South Saigon before reaching the heavily polluted North Saigon. Many new schools are opening up every month in District 7. From downtown Saigon to District 7 you will pay about $4 to $5 USD one-way by taxi. Buses are not very safe for you carrying a baby. Many times these drivers never come to a complete stop and they expect you to jump on a moving bus, or they will take-off before you are even seated. I've seen elderly people fall down due to this. One old woman was run over by the bus because the driver wouldn't come to a complete stop for her and she fell under the bus. Bus air conditioning may work but drivers seldom use it. In Phu My Hung you can walk anywhere without stress from traffic and sidewalk vendors. There's very little garbage on streets and no motorcycles allowed on the primary sidewalks. Everything is very modern.

From District 7 your husband would ride through Districts 1 and 4 to get to District 2. Very heavy rush hour traffic but I think it's worth the drive because the Phu My Hung area is quiet and peaceful compared to any other part of Saigon.

snj wrote:

Thanks for your replies guys.
I made a visit to HCMC last week and found out that Bin Tanh is near to district 1. With apartments like Manor and Saigon Pearl which has swimming pool, gym and kindergarten, it seems to me a good option. what say?

Hi,

In Binh Thanh district is very close to district 1 through Nguyen Huu Canh street where there are new apartment buildings such as Saigon Pearl, the Manor, and another brand new building in Binh Thanh is Cantavil Hoan Cau. It is very close to the Van Thanh Park with poetic scenery and fresh air. The service is wonderful with a Gym, a Spa, a Cafe, a swimming pool, mini supermarket.... the security system is completely perfect with 24/7. Big, safe and convenient parking system of the building. It takes about 10 minutes to get into district 1 and just past Saigon Bridge to get into Thao Dien area where many foreigner are living there with many international schools from kindergarten to high school.

If you would like to have a look at my brand new apartment (153.8m2) with full furniture (100% new) in Cantavil Hoan Cau Building, please contact me at 0989045696 or email me at eslschool2007@gmail.com.

Regards,

Danny

Danny,

could you please stop advertising your flat on the forum ? Please use the classifieds for that
Thanks