ADHD Medication / Psychiatrist Vietnam

Hi,
I am currently living in Ho Chi Minh City.  I am legally prescribed Dexedrine/Dextroamphetamine 10mg 3x/day.  I am unable to get my medication here.  I am from the USA and am a teacher in Vietnam.  Can someone please tell me the easiest , best, and most genuine (as in real medication) way to obtain my medication.

Good morning I am looking to talk to English teachers in hanoi to give me some information and share there experience

greglavalleye wrote:

Hi,
I am currently living in Ho Chi Minh City.  I am legally prescribed Dexedrine/Dextroamphetamine 10mg 3x/day.  I am unable to get my medication here.  I am from the USA and am a teacher in Vietnam.  Can someone please tell me the easiest , best, and most genuine (as in real medication) way to obtain my medication.

To the best of my knowledge, Dextroamphetamine is banned in Vietnam.
Amphetamine-based ADHD medications are on a list of banned drugs that more or less puts them on a par with narcotics.

You should consult  physicians or psychiatrists in the international clinics in HCMC (e.g. FV Hospital, Family Medical, Raffles Medical etc.) and follow their advice.

Fxr1970 wrote:

Good morning I am looking to talk to English teachers in hanoi to give me some information and share there experience

Hi Fxr1970,

Welcome on board :)

Please feel free to start a new thread in the Hanoi forum to connect with English teachers working in Hanoi.

Also, take time to browse through the existing threads to get relevant information.

All the best!

Send an email to FV hospital in HCM and ask them about the specific med. Tell them it is a psychotropic drug. They have a Psych department there. They should have it or be able to get it for you. Another option is to email Diamond Plaza medical. I do not think they have psychological staff on duty. But they may have the Rx or be able to get it for you. Both usually will answer back in one day. Good luck

As the previous poster mentioned this particular drug is very sensitive in many Asian countries. It is banned in Thailand where it was once prescribed. The last info I saw for Vietnam was you could have it if you carries an Rx form your doctor from The USA. But it would be best to check with the embassy on the legality of any meds in foreign countries. Some allergy meds are banned as are some cough medications.

You can get Ritalin or similar in Thailand through a local psychiatrist etc.  Its maybe the only Asian country that legally supplies Ritalin and all ADHD medications.    You might be able to get 1 or 2 months supply with just one visit.  Bring with you your medical file, prescription etc.

A lot of things are “banned” or not approved but are still able and free in Vietnam. So it should be available in Vietnam. If not Vietnam then some other southeastern Asian country. Any suggestions?

And never forget you can be arrested for possession of illegal drugs. Things are deemed illegal for a reason. It means they do not want you to have them. So if you skirt the law then you find yourself in trouble with the law...just tell them the folks on expat.com said it would be okay. I am sure they will understand. Better off traveling the right road. After-all there are reasons  they make them illegal.This drugs have been used to manufacture meth etc. Good luck

Crystal Meth is manufactured from Pseudephedrine which is a decongestant with only very mild psychoactive properties.  One pill is about the same as your cà phê đá.  It has to go through some kind of "cooking" process to become a strong drug.  Dextroamphetamine that the OP takes is subject to abuse as is.

Vagabondone wrote:

So if you skirt the law then you find yourself in trouble with the law...just tell them the folks on expat.com said it would be okay. I am sure they will understand.

My new favorite quote.  :one  Most of us are perfectly willing to chime in on legal matters, real estate investment, and even matters of the heart but it is still always advisable to look for a real expert.

Great advise and insight THIGV. Your knowledge of crystal meth is spot on and that is indeed why that medication is banned here as well. I suspect Vietnam does not want to go down the path of the West.mUnfortunate for those that use the medication responsibly. But even in America they have put more controls on buying this particular OTC medication. There was a time when one could get it in chicken feed in the USA. But I think they have stopped feeding the drug to chickens. And yes it does have to go through a tremendous cooking process with lithium battery components and hydrochloric acid any many other things. But it is the fact that it is one part of the whole that worries authorities. Not sure where you got the idea it was a psychotropic drug. It is no more so than cough medication is a psychotropic drug. But many countries ban cough syrups also. And yes, everyone is free to ignore the law and carry it with them. No one will argue that. Could not agree with your new quote more. If I were going to take the RE plunge, the leap into transport of illegal drugs, investing I would seek out trained professionals in the filed as well. There was a fella on here not long ago that has a cadre of 6 lawyers in his home country to advise him as a capital investment expert. But he comes here to VN where lawyers are very cheap and consults the lay people here on a forum. To top that off he does not even know how to find a RE attorney here. Pont him in the right direction THIGV!!!!

Vagabondone wrote:

There was a fella on here not long ago that has a cadre of 6 lawyers in his home country to advise him as a capital investment expert. But he comes here to VN where lawyers are very cheap and consults the lay people here on a forum. To top that off he does not even know how to find a RE attorney here. Pont him in the right direction THIGV!!!!

I know the fellow you are talking about.  Over the last week or so, I note that there have been several new posters who present themselves as exceptionally well qualified in areas like international banking and investment wanting to enter Vietnamese commerce at or near the top.  As you say, if they are so well qualified, why are they seeking advice here?  Is it a trend? 

On the other hand, this site should be fine for finding the best place to buy furniture for your apartment.  We can handle that.  :top:

Ok thank you for the information.

No, I've manage to get both Concerta and Ritalin in Singapore, Malaysia, India, Thailand, Vietnam, Turkey, Iran, U.E.A and Oman. The only countries I haven't been able to get it in is Laos, Cambodia and Nepal.

Here's a guide on how to get it in Hanoi, Vietnam: https://www.reddit.com/r/ADHD/comments/ … ncerta_in/