Can men and women ever be friends without being feelings?

Some people believe it's physically impossible. As Billy Crystal said to Meg Ryan in the film When Harry Met Sally: "Men and women can't be friends because the sex part always gets in the way."
So is it really out of the question to have a truly platonic friendship with one man while you're in a happy, sexual relationship with another? Is it hopelessly idealistic to think men and women can actually be friends without wanting to sleep with each other?

Throughout life some of my best friends are and have been women with NO sexual component at all.

Bob K

milli85 wrote:

Some people believe it's physically impossible. As Billy Crystal said to Meg Ryan in the film When Harry Met Sally: "Men and women can't be friends because the sex part always gets in the way."
So is it really out of the question to have a truly platonic friendship with one man while you're in a happy, sexual relationship with another? Is it hopelessly idealistic to think men and women can actually be friends without wanting to sleep with each other?

Hi Milli, :)
1). No, it's not out of question to have a platonic relationship with a woman.  Sometimes we - wise men - want to hear a woman's opinion.  :)  Why does everything have to boil down to sex?  :(

2). Yes, it's hopelessly idealistic to think men and women as pure friends forever.
Although it depends on profession, age and hobbies ... what else is there? :/

It is possible and normal.
I have my wife, my family, my friends and my students. Each one have a different feeling from me, but a good and real feeling.
I mean that all of them have my honesty and real feeling, a feeling that comes from my interest in participate of their lifes and do the difference in their future.
Having a good felling is to take right, responsible and honest atitudes.
To love somebody is to think before acting and not to act without to think.

To love somebody is to think before acting and not to act without to think.

For love if you think and then love , then it cannot be love......

Yes men and women can be friends without being feelings.Friendship doesnot see the gender, age  or any other difference like love....now it depends on the persons who  they were and what is their mentality.....

I am friendly to guys  in office but not sharing my personal matters with them. So  I have no best male friends. Have few overseas net friends so no chance to have/not have a physical relationship  :) When or if I will meet them, I can give a comment on this thread :P

Its dangerous, especially for a female.

brunoeke wrote:

Its dangerous, especially for a female.

Why ?????
Please dont say because she is a female.

Its always possible if a person have enough control in his thinking & senses & well experienced with the members of opposite sex. However there is a difference in thinking process between men & women. It is more easily possible for a woman to be friend without having any sexual feeling.

:cheers: Thanks for all messages so great to hear from other people

i was very close to a girl one time it lasted 3 years ,at first i was chasing her but thing got bad her byfriend got mad at her bcoz of me so she told me we shuld stay good friend
me too i didnt insist

absolutely yes.

Share your expat experience and get in touch with other members

OR