Visiting Hurghada and safety

Hi everyone

Looking to receive some advice for our stay,

My husband and I are an English couple in our late 60s with a 6 week visit planned starting 4th January 3 weeks in Hurghada and 3 weeks in Sharm el Sheik.

We read yesterday that there have been some problems for tourists within the Red Sea area, how serious is this.

It does not matter where you travel in the world, if you are a tourist you face certain 'risks'. Here in Hurghada I feel safer than many other countries in the world, including the UK. Just take the usual precautions when it comes to your personal safety and that of your possessions. You will find here that if one person makes trouble for you that you will have 20 come to your assistance.
From the aspect of the political situation in Egypt, here in Hurghada you have nothing to worry about. I myself have recently traveled to the Delta region and traveled through Ismalia and Suez and on the way back, through Zagazig... apart from a few Army tanks and personal, you would never guess there was anything going on.
Enjoy your vacation  :)

Honestly TigerLily you are  bravo.
I know such a feeling especially I'm Egyptian an. Worked with tourists .
most of them won't understand how it's there,until they come and see.
good luck

I've not really been following the news, but I live in Sahl Hasheesh, near Hurghada. My impression is that in the resort areas nothing has changed. I have a friend staying for a month in central Hurghada and he hasn't reported any problems. I was in Hurghada today shopping and didn't notice anything other than a check on the road for drivers to see whether they held valid driving licenses, I was told this is a pretty common occurrence. So, from the Hurghada point of view, I really think you should be fine.

Thank you everyone for your replies it is very much appreciated and the information is very useful.

Hurghada is pretty safe, while we can't say the same thing for Sinai.
I would avoid Sharm all together, just to be on the safe side.