House of Character???

Hello all,:):):)
I will be moving to Malta in two weeks time. I was looking for accomodation and agents have suggested "House of Character"
Back here in Perth we do not have such names.

Most of these houses are old and go back few centuries!!!!!!!
Most of them are comparatively big and still cheap to rent, don't get it why? though. :unsure:unsure

Wondering if someone has rented such a "House of Character" and will have ideas. positive and negative sides and would like to shed some light before I get haunted. :lol::lol::lol:
Thanks.

I find Maltese housing categories quite confusing actually.
There was once a very good post here, describing the various types (to be taken with a pinch of salt ;) )

Try this link:

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=137720

Thanks to our friend ' Eagle'.....
Hope you are doing fine!

Cheers
Ricky

Cheap house of character might mean not renovated so will be dark, damp in winter (but cool in summer) with small rooms.
Parking can be a problem if you have a car and there is no garage.
Best to avoid if its your first Maltese rental.

Terry

Hi,

Be careful with the agent. For some reason, they think people want to live in a house of character (being foriegn.) My mum was taken around the most awful places (this was to buy though.)

One, as a 'great selling point' had it's own cattacomb (can't spell it,) in the basement!

As Terry said, unless it has been completely done up, they are very old fashioned, usually sold/rented with amount of rooms (not 3 bedrooms, kitchen, sitting room etc.) Bedrooms could lead off each other and they are cold and damp.

neversaynever wrote:

Hello all,:):):)
I will be moving to Malta in two weeks time. I was looking for accomodation and agents have suggested "House of Character"
Back here in Perth we do not have such names.

Most of these houses are old and go back few centuries!!!!!!!
Most of them are comparatively big and still cheap to rent, don't get it why? though. :unsure:unsure

Wondering if someone has rented such a "House of Character" and will have ideas. positive and negative sides and would like to shed some light before I get haunted. :lol::lol::lol:
Thanks.

Well I rented out one house of character last time I was in Malta. I took it for 6 months.  It was in Zurrieq and the locality is peaceful there.

I found it quite good. I paid 375euro/month. Big house 3 normal size bedrooms, living room, separate kitchen. Empty roof/terrace was a barbeque place in one corner, which I never used.
A small structure with mosquito nets with two beds in. Count the stars and I swear I saw shooting stars.

Real rock walls, beautiful, own entrance, no neighbors.

House of Characters = best deal :):):)

Some noises in the catacombs but probably bone-flexing :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: