Filtrate scammers

There should be a mechanism to filter out imposters on the site

When there are hundreds of thousands of imposters everywhere you go on the internet, exactly how would you suggest that Expat-blog go about doing that?

It would be easier to put a man on Mars!

Cheers,
William James Woodward

the "blue suitcase" members of the site are constantly monitoring the forums and removing anyone who is posting scammy information. If someone receives anything scammy in nature in a private message, they simply have to report it. As you can see, every post and message here has a "report" button below it. Feel free to use it if you find any post to be suspicious, and an administrator will check it out.

Hello,

we've already set up a few filters.

Please report any issue by clicking on the "report" button

thanks,

Julien

Does this mean I can't pretend to be Jurassic Jimmy anymore?

HaileyinHongKong wrote:

Does this mean I can't pretend to be Jurassic Jimmy anymore?

Your profile photo kind of gives you away on that score anyway Hailey. LOL

xxx ooo,
Jurassic Jimmy

I don't know.  Just slap on a wig and you can probably pass for me.

I couldn't begin to look that young even on my best day Hailey! But, thanks for the complement. LOL

xxx ooo,
Jurassic Jimmy

That just proves this is a scam and you're only pretending to be me.  Or I'm pretending to be you.  I can't keep it straight.

freshp wrote:

There should be a mechanism to filter out imposters on the site

Hard to autofind a scammer, but a spammer, that I think can be done.

Anyone that has posted under 5/10/15 (whatever number you decide) gets the anti-spammer treatment algorithm.  This basically checks for numbers and email addresses in the body of the post because spammers are only interested in spewing their products/services and getting Expats to call/contact them.

A genuine Expat will usually ask a question about how to, where is, what is, because they're new to a country.

Once a new member gets flagged for spamming, a moderator can verify and just ban the new member (if spamming a product/service). 

Generally spammers don't stick around and posts more than a dozen postings anyhow.  Create account -->> Spam info -->> Run.  If deleted, Create second account -->> Spam new product/service -->> Run.

As I previously explained, we've already got many automatic filters. But as we're talking about securing the website, I can't give details

Share your expat experience and get in touch with other members

OR