Moving back to mauritius

hello can anyone help me. my Husband was born in Mauritius but left there when he was 10 years old sadly he let his Mauritian passport lapse a few years ago. he still owns land in Mauritius and we hope to move there in the next couple of years. were not sure how to go about making sure his land is ok for building on and how we get permission so if anyone knows the ins and outs of these we would be grateful for any help. Also can he regain his Mauritian passport.

thank you very much for any advice you offer. dustie

On his next visit to the island, he will have to do the following:
1. Get an updated Birth Certificate
2. Apply for the Mauritian National Identification card after #1.
You have info on "who is a Mauritian " here:
http://www.gov.mu/portal/site/dhasite/m … #qualified
3. Then apply for a Mauritian passport after #2 ( don't know all the conditions) but you have the info on this site:
http://www.gov.mu/portal/site/passportSite

WITHOUT having #2 , he can't do much about applying for building permission since he needs to prove that he is still mauritian.

Hello Dustie,

May be that you can you take a look at this website how your husband can get back his Mauritian passport.

www.gov.mu/portal/site/passportSite/men … 0a0208a0c/

It's about Passport and Immigration office of Mauritius
I hope that your husband has still his expired passport in his possession.

I think that it would be best to contact the Mauritian Embassy nearby your place and let you well inform how your husband can regain his Mauritian passport. By the same way you can also ask for advise if you want to move to Mauritius with your husband in a couple of years. I assume that you have to arrange all  the papers and forms via the Mauritius embassy before you move there.

Your husband can contact the District Council or Municipality where he owes the plot of land to inform if it is agricultural or residential land. Finally it's the District Council or Municipality who deliver the building permit  after that your husband has handed in a copy of his deed and the building plan. You will have to be patient because it can be a long way.

Maybe this information can help you a little bit.

Regards,

Aquamarlin