Job market in Gibraltar. How to get a good job in a bad economy.

Hi there. How does the job market look like in GIBRALTAR now??? Any jobs for foreigners like me OR just for residents only??? Do I have more chances if I live there already??? I have British and EU passport, which one is better??? How long does it take to find a decent employment??? 

Kind regards,
Adam

Hi Adam

I think the job market is pretty dire everywhere. 

I think I am correct in stating that the Government/Job Centre make all jobs eligable for Gibraltarians for the first two weeks and after that, the positions can be opened for non-Gibraltarians to apply.  I have to say however that this is second hand information and may not be fully true, perhaps it is worth you contacting the ETB (job centre) and finding out the situation.

Also in regard to passports, providing you have an eu passport, I dont think it matters.

Many jobs however do state that you must be local.  I guess that with interviews, immediate starts etc, that makes sense.  But then I guess it is difficult to commit to an area when you have no promise of income!

I used an agency and there are a few on the Rock.  I registered with several but only got a response from RecruitGibraltar.com who managed to get me a position after about 4 months.  However I was uber specific on what I needed and just a small part-time role was what I looked for.  They kept me updated with loads of full-time though, as I said I might consider this. 

I guess you could look at that avenue.  Again depends on what trade you are in.

Here are a couple of links which may be of use to you:-
https://www.gibraltar.gov.gi/employment
recruitgibraltar.com/

Hope the info is of some use to you :-)

Hi there,

Thank you so much for your help.

Kind Regards,
adasjank