Considering teaching English in Vietnam

Hello group,

My name is Mark and I'm probably a bit older that most newcomers to the blogosphere, but I'm considering making a move across the pond and could use some current information on the situation on the ground in my potential chosen new home.

A bit about me, I'm a 50+ y.o. energy professional and my current contract is up at the end of the year. I've been looking at one of three paths and teaching English abroad has captured my imagination. I was dating a Chinese woman a few years ago and contemplated teaching in China, but my age was restrictive in China along with, well it being China. I've been an instructor previously in the Navy and have done a significant number of presentations to professional and casual audiences. My energy experience is in conventional and renewable technologies (solar, wind and biopower), plus I've been a business owner and for hire COO within the renewable distribution arena.

As part of my research I've been looking at several countries and companies that offer TESOL along with visa support and a "guaranteed" placement, cell phone, blah, blah, blah. I've researched county and company fairly extensively, but there is nothing like getting feedback from in country.

My main questions are the opportunities for teaching English in Vietnam. I am supposing the job guarantee is true, but I would like to find additional opportunities for reaching out to professional groups for business conversational tutoring in the major cities. I also have hundreds of questions about local and US taxes, banking, insurance, etc. I'll look on this site for answers to many of my questions.

Any help or guidance from the group would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

Mark

Welcome!
Almost every questions already answered here. You can check old threads for details about living in Vietnam, teaching possibilities,etc.

Thanks charm. I've been looking through many old posts, but some date back a year of two and I just want to make sure I have up to date information.

I have to admit I am a bit overwhelmed by all that goes on here. In less than 12 hours I've seen 40+ posts and its going to take some time to filter through everything. Any suggestions?

Good_Man wrote:

Thanks charm. I've been looking through many old posts, but some date back a year of two and I just want to make sure I have up to date information.

I have to admit I am a bit overwhelmed by all that goes on here. In less than 12 hours I've seen 40+ posts and its going to take some time to filter through everything. Any suggestions?

I found two blogs for you that'll give you a good introduction: one is like a FAQ and another is a personal blog from an English teacher.

http://www.vietnamonline.com/az/teachin … etnam.html

http://2nomads1narrative.com/2012/09/04 … n-vietnam/

Come back and ask specific questions.  There are quiet a few Expats on this forum that are teaching English.

Thanks Tran, I'll browse these a little later.

I know this might be a silly questions, but is Tran your first name in English style or last name in Asian style?

Good_Man wrote:

Thanks Tran, I'll browse these a little later.

I know this might be a silly questions, but is Tran your first name in English style or last name in Asian style?

Glad you asked.  Trần Hưng Đạo is a heroic figure in Vietnamese history and almost every city has a street named after him.  Here's a quick bio on the Supreme Commander of Việt Nam that stopped not one, not two, but THREE Mongol invasions in the 13th century:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tr%E1%BA%A … %E1%BA%A1o

Like most "oriental" names, the family/surname is first to emphasize that family comes first.  The given/christian/"first" name is written last.  It is the reverse of how we write names in America.

Typically given names in Vietnamese are two-worded.  In my online moniker's case, it would be "Hưng Đạo", but I see sometimes people just use the very right name when talking to each other.  So I guess Đạo would be fine.

Anyways, that's the cultural aspect of it.  I'm not an expert but I like learning about the culture, history, and language of Việt Nam.

People on this forum just call me THD.

I waited almost a year before I decided to take the plunge into the work force.  Been retired since 2009, in Vietnam since 3 Oct 2012.  Just wanted to act productive again.  Found a TESOL provider in Thailand, completed the course and enjoyed the student teaching.  Wanted just to work part time, maybe 15 hours per week.  Hook up with a recruiter, now teaching 6 hours per day M-F.  I am 53, caucasian, college degree, very old teaching certificate with a TESOL.  There are many opportunities here.

Thanks for the information. Everything I've read here and on various searches seems to point to VN as a good location. I got you by a few years and my teaching cert was in the military so not sure if it translates well, but regardless my current employment contract ends 12/31 and want to find something useful and fun for the next few years before I retire.

Where did you retire from? What age group do you teach now?

Thanks again,

Mark