Paying extra W&E every month

Hi everyone, I could use some advise please.

I've been living in a rented flat for about 1.5 years, the first year I shared the flat with someone and now for the past 6 months I have lived here alone. As the contract has originally been made for 2 people, I agreed with the landlord that I shall be paying W&E as agreed in the contact - 70€/month (for 2 people even though it's only me here) - and when I move out they'll pay back what I've paid extra. So I've now paid 35€ extra every month for 6 months.

As I like living in this flat but don't like paying 420€ extra for W&E a year (even though I would get the money back), I have asked them if it's possible to change the contract and have it under my name only, so I would get to pay only 35€/month for W&E. They said that they will look into it but were being a bit difficult about it. What worries me is that they keep saying "IF you've paid too much for W&E when you move out, we'll pay you back" which sounds like they expect my W&E bills to be 420€/year more than what is normal. I work 40h a week and I'm conservative with electricity and water that, so I'm finding it really hard to believe that my yearly W&E consumption would be as much as 840€.

Does this sound normal to you, should I be alarmed? To be honest the landlord has been very nice since I moved here, but as I've heard horror stories from other people renting in Malta, I'm really afraid of being taken advantage of and paying 420€ extra a year really worries me.

its easier if you can give some actuals - like readings and units used for both water and elec over a given period of time- as it sounds to me like you are giving him a free loan of your hard earned cash. if you are not careful and as smiley smiley as he may be now - he may not be so smiley smiley when you leave and it may be hard to get YOUR overpaid money back... best to get ir sorted now....as they nearly always find a way to keep your money. BTW €850 per yr is our bill here for three people.

To be honest I haven't really stayed on top of the readings but when it was 2 of us living here for a year, the 70€/month covered the year almost perfectly, it was only a few euros off.

"..as they nearly always find a way to keep your money" - That is what I'm worried about. :s Thanks for your input.

are you registered on the landlords account as registered consumers?

milhouse wrote:

To be honest I haven't really stayed on top of the readings but when it was 2 of us living here for a year, the 70€/month covered the year almost perfectly, it was only a few euros off.

"..as they nearly always find a way to keep your money" - That is what I'm worried about. :s Thanks for your input.

If you don't do the readings how do you know that €70 a month covered the year?
If you are relying on the landlord to say its the right amount then that's what he will say when you leave!
You need to start taking readings NOW, at least if and when you leave you will have some historical data to check on your monthly usage.

All landlords are smiley as long as they are getting your cash!

Good luck (I think you may need it ).

70 a month is about right, dont forget, that there isn't much difference between 1 or 2 people living in a flat...2 people share the same light, fridge, cooker etc... The standing charge will stay the same regardless to how many live there too. While you probably use less than 70, paying 35 will not cover it. Why dont you ask the landlord, instead of when you leave, he/you pay any differences with each 3 monthly bill? That is what I do, and it usually evens itself out over the year.

totally agree with Tearnet..YOU MUST START DOING YOUR OWN READINGS - NEVER EVER TRUST YOUR LANDLORD UNTIL HE IS WORTHY OF IT....ALL of the people I know who are single and live alone - their bills are much less than €70 per month.... CLEARLY IT DEPENDS ON YOUR USAGE.

My flatmate kept up to date with the readings, however checked them now myself and calculated that the landlord currently owes me almost 200 euros. So 70e/month is definitely too much. I might go over 35e some months but it always gets balanced at some point, e.g. when I'm on holidays abroad and have turned everything off in the flat. I'm going to talk to him about this and if he doesn't agree, will probably move out because I don't feel comfortable with paying so much extra.

Paying a flat rate is only good, as long as you are consuming more e&w than your monthly payment :D
But in this case, your landlord for sure would have add these costs to your flat rate ;)
As long as your payments are good for him you can be sure, your consumption is below that figure ...
Better you check the meter readings and re-calculate the costs with the Online Bill Calculator

Hi, we're a family of 3 (2 adults and a 4 years old child) and we do not have gas at home. Our monthly W&E bills are over 70€ every month (80-100). I have to admit that occasionally, we actually waste a bit of electricity as my son keeps switching on the lights all the time. We have 2 TVs which one of them it's on mostly of the time. To be honest, as we do not have gas at home, I was expecting the electricity to be paying a bit more of electricity. But anyway, my landlady already sent the form to add us into the her ARMS account and hopefully, from this month on, our the bills should be a bit lower...fingers crossed!

Cheerio,
Antonio

milhouse wrote:

My flatmate kept up to date with the readings, however checked them now myself and calculated that the landlord currently owes me almost 200 euros. So 70e/month is definitely too much. I might go over 35e some months but it always gets balanced at some point, e.g. when I'm on holidays abroad and have turned everything off in the flat. I'm going to talk to him about this and if he doesn't agree, will probably move out because I don't feel comfortable with paying so much extra.

Dear milhouse,

Make sure you deduct the 200 Euros from your next rent because - under these circumstances - it is highly unlikely your landlord will refund your deposit in full.

Byron49 wrote:
milhouse wrote:

Dear milhouse,

Make sure you deduct the 200 Euros from your next rent because - under these circumstances - it is highly unlikely your landlord will refund your deposit in full.

Are you encouraging someone to take action which may be contra to their terms of contract?

i dont think so Red - am sure its contra to his contract to knowingly take more than is necessary to cover the bills and to be honest i would do the same  as Byron in this instance is 100% correct the landlord will do everything in his power not to return money he has probably already spent.

Oh, I agree about the deposit business as it used to be that way in UK until the Law was changed to a scheme to protect tenants.
I just think that before anyone does anything they should check their contract as things could become 'difficult' later.

redmik wrote:

Oh, I agree about the deposit business as it used to be that way in UK until the Law was changed to a scheme to protect tenants.
I just think that before anyone does anything they should check their contract as things could become 'difficult' later.

absolutely - by all means check the wording of the lease first - just to be safe  - but if your going to leave anyway why  bother...hes highly unlikely to chase it legally

hey,

My advice - take the readings every month ( as I do myself ) and pay the amount that you owe, based on your exact usage.

You can work out the bill for both water and electricity on this website:

https://www.smartutilities.com.mt/wps/p … BIS9nQSEh/

I use this calculator and compared the amounts it works out with the actual bills and it's spot on.

Also, when you get the bill make sure that on the bill is written 'Domestic' and not 'Residential' - this is what they charge most of foreigners and this rate is by 30% higher than the residential one. If it's 'Residential' than you'll need to ask you landlord to change it to domestic for you, provided that you have a proof that you live in Malta long term and are not just here on a holiday break.

Hope it helps!
Radek

If you, can take a screen shot of the calculation and make a copy of that in image format so you have proof. It's what I do, just to keep on top of things.

radekz wrote:

hey,

My advice - take the readings every month ( as I do myself ) and pay the amount that you owe, based on your exact usage.

You can work out the bill for both water and electricity on this website:

https://www.smartutilities.com.mt/wps/p … BIS9nQSEh/

I use this calculator and compared the amounts it works out with the actual bills and it's spot on.

Also, when you get the bill make sure that on the bill is written 'Domestic' and not 'Residential' - this is what they charge most of foreigners and this rate is by 30% higher than the residential one. If it's 'Residential' than you'll need to ask you landlord to change it to domestic for you, provided that you have a proof that you live in Malta long term and are not just here on a holiday break.

Hope it helps!
Radek

other way round i think you will find Radek...... it MUST be residential TO GET THE LOWER TARIFF  and NOT domestic

Hi, you'll need to get the landlord to show you the water and electricity bills and also check whether you are paying domestic or residential rates. This will depend on whose name the bill is in. Residential rates apply to Maltese citizens and those who have been resident in Malta for 5 years or more, otherwise domestic rates apply. Domestic rates are higher:
See enemalta.com.mt/index.aspx?cat=2&art=5&art1=9
But it does depend on whose name is on the bill. Unfortunately, some landlords charge their tenants domestic rates even though the bill is in their name and therefore residential rates apply. Make sure you see the bill and good luck.

By the way, 'Residential' tariff with 'Number of person'=0 and 'Domestic' tariff are the same from the final amount point of view.

The difference is in small details: for example, we cannot apply for PV panels rebate since we have 'Domestic' tariff in our electricity bills :(

My point is: just a 'Residential' tariff does not mean lower rate. You've receive lower rate if you manage to register in this apartment.

"Hi, you'll need to get the landlord to show you the water and electricity bills and also check whether you are paying domestic or residential rates. This will depend on whose name the bill is in. Residential rates apply to Maltese citizens and those who have been resident in Malta for 5 years or more, otherwise domestic rates apply. Domestic rates are higher":
See [link under review]

no it doesnt - you can have residential rates at any time as long as you can prove residency currently with E-residency permit and as long as your landlord will allow you to be named as a registered consumer on HIS account - your names do not have to be as the account holder.

"But it does depend on whose name is on the bill. Unfortunately, some landlords charge their tenants domestic rates even though the bill is in their name and therefore residential rates apply. Make sure you see the bill and good luck". The landlord doesnt have to remove his name from the account at all.....tenants need to be allowed to be named as the consumers. IF HE WONT ALLOW IT - WALK AWAY GET OUT OF YOUR CONTRACT WITH HIM/HER.

ALWAYS ASK TO SEE THE ACTUAL 2 PAGES BILL FROM ARMS LTD.

I'm Maltese & returned to live here nearly a year ago (a big mistake)& I don't trust the maltese as they take advantage every time they can.
My owner also insists that I pay the non residential rate for E&W, he claims the flat as a 2nd residence & so does NOT pay  income tax on the rent & yet still wants to over charge me .The difference between the 2 rates for 6 months was 85 Euros.
This is a rip-off & we should all complain loudly & refuse to pay 40% More than the maltese.

Because tenants are entitled to make informed decisions about the terms and conditions of their rental agreements, they have a right to correct guidelines about how they can qualify for the much cheaper ‘residential' water and electricity consumption tariffs so that they may obtain the most advantageous deal from estate agents and landlords -- 

-- In this regard, please see - ‘Finance Minister Tonio Fenech has lashed out at renters that were not letting tenants register their rented premises with the WSC to avoid paying tax.'

Source: http://www.maltatoday.com.mt/en/newsdet … paying-tax

Therefore, please see:

When you receive your 'e-Residence Card' / new identity card,
you qualify for the much cheaper ‘residential' water and electricity consumption tariffs whether you are an owner-occupier OR renting your accommodation:

To ascertain whether or not you are paying the much more expensive water and electricity consumption tariffs, check the top right-hand corner of your bill.

If it says: No. of residents ‘0' or ‘Zero' and the Consumer Scheme is  ‘Domestic', then you are unnecessarily paying the most expensive water and electricity consumption tariffs in the EU and should convert to ‘residential' water and electricity consumption tariffs without delay.

Whether an owner-occupier or a tenant, those non-Maltese EU / EEA / Swiss citizens in possession of an ‘e-Residence Card' / new identity card as well as Third Country Nationals with Long-Term Residence status are eligible for the much lower, ‘residential' water and electricity consumption tariffs - according to ARMS Ltd. regulations.

Please note that:

A) The ‘domestic' electricity consumption tariff is 30% more expensive than the 'residential' one. 

B) The ‘domestic' water consumption tariff is at least 56% more expensive than the 'residential' one. 

C) Unlike the ‘residential' scheme, eco-reductions are not applied to the ‘domestic' electricity consumption tariff.

D) Unlike the ‘residential' scheme, one-off energy allowance cheques are not payable in respect of the ‘domestic' water and electricity consumption tariff.

In order to convert from ‘domestic' to ‘residential' water and electricity consumption tariffs, one must register the correct number of household occupants with ARMS Ltd.

To do this, one needs to download, print, fill in and submit a ‘change in number of persons declaration' form as well as any other requisite documentation (specified at the bottom of the form) to ARMS Ltd.

If you live in rented accommodation and are liable for energy bills issued in your landlord's name, his / her signature (as account holder) and certain personal details are also required, but only in order to endorse the ‘change in number of persons declaration' - to include all household occupants, that is, adults, minors and infants - a simple formality.

You are also required to include a photocopy of both sides of your landlord's (account holder's) identity card. 

Please note that this procedure does not necessitate transferring the meters or the water and electricity account from the landlord to the tenant/s, nor significantly, does it entail the payment of any deposit by the household occupant/tenant or the landlord.

Once you have submitted this form and requisite documentation to ARMS Ltd, ensure you receive either a receipt or written confirmation of its receipt - via e-mail - from them within 24 hours.

This receipt is essential in order to avoid any possible misunderstandings with ARMS Ltd. about 'lost' or 'mislaid' applications by the time you receive your next water and electricity bill.

In this regard, you may wish to contact Sean Barbara - Policy and Strategy manager of ARMS Ltd, at: sean.barbara@arms.com.mt

In this connection, your attention is drawn to section D - Documentation - on the ‘Change in number of persons declaration' - which can be accessed by clicking on the internet link reproduced at the foot of this post.

See section D - Documentation - on the ‘Change in number of persons declaration' - which can be accessed by clicking on this internet link:

https://www.smartutilities.com.mt/wps/w … OD=AJPERES

Thank you