Is life simpler in Libya,

or are Libyan standards of living despicably low?

I vote for the latter.

Edit: typo

There are plenty of worse locations than Tripoli! :rolleyes:

Malabo in Equatorial Guinea gets my vote as No.1 $hithole

I've been to BFN in India and that makes Tripoli look like 22nd Century!

IMHO life is much simpler and less stressful in Libya. Especially for women. 

Just as a random example... i don't know a single woman in N. America who does not have at least some jitters when considering having a baby (extra expenses, time from work, child care costs, work/family balance, saving for education, potential divorce and being a single mother).  Libyan women usually do not worry about ANY of this.

So maybe the life in Libya is more boring but certainly more peaceful.

Of course life ought to be less stressful if you're content with less. The old social comparison theory. Eating canned tuna all week would be viewed as privilege if most people you know can hardly afford white rice and tomato sauce.

I've only worked in the US. So Tripoli is pretty shrimpy for me. Not for the lack of amenities, but more for all the...what do you call 'em..tw@ts.

sandman6, I don't think you can find many places with people as bitter and egotistical as most Libyans are. you see, like most Arabs, if you're caucasian they will most likely treat you with a bit more respect and regard than they do each other. You gotta look like them and speak their tongue to know how repulsive they can be. Anyway, how are the people of Malabo, if it has any living in it?

And what the hell is BFN?

MoEl wrote:

Of course life ought to be less stressful if you're content with less. The old social comparison theory. Eating canned tuna all week would be viewed as privilege if most people you know can hardly afford white rice and tomato sauce.

I've only worked in the US. So Tripoli is pretty shrimpy for me. Not for the lack of amenities, but more for all the...what do you call 'em..tw@ts.

sandman6, I don't think you can find many places with people as bitter and egotistical as most Libyans are. you see, like most Arabs, if you're caucasian they will most likely treat you with a bit more respect and regard than they do each other. You gotta look like them and speak their tongue to know how repulsive they can be. Anyway, how are the people of Malabo, if it has any living in it?

And what the hell is BFN?

I have found 95% of locals to be very friendly and welcoming, without wanting to sound rude - have you made the effort to be open and polite with the Libyan's you meet, or have you adopted the typical Western superior attitude towards them ?, just interested that is all.

MoEl wrote:

I too found the local people cold, aloof and lots of false smiles too when I first arrived here. It's called Culture Shock and affects all of us to one extent or another, some "acclimatise" faster tham others and some don't at all.

Give me West Africa any day of the week...

Clansman wrote:

have you made the effort to be open and polite with the Libyan's you meet, or have you adopted the typical Western superior attitude towards them ?

Duuude!! that's the thing. They don't expect me to be polite. I don't look like a "typical" occidental. not once or twice or three times a store attendant follows me with fire in his eyes because I didn't return the can to its shelf after I found out that, even though he is open for business, he doesn't have change for my five, or because I didn't close the broken store's door, or, or...etc

often people reciprocate my sincere smile with an aggressive "Shen ydha7ak feek?--> what the hell are you laughing at?" or as they're talking they stop and ask why am I staring at them, when I was only keeping typical eye contact. Or change thrown to THAT side of the register when I politely put it IN the cashier's hand on THIS side.

They're always complaining of the very behaviors they're doing.They're Lazy, inefficient, unproductive, disorganized and unambitious for the most part.

Want me to go on?

BFN = B*tt F*** Nowhere, the delightful kinds of places that have  land rigs nearby because it actually improves the environment :D

Hey MoEl

Sandman is right.

Sounds like you are having a typical onset of culture shock.
Been there done that... several times in different countries... so I hope you take it as me trying to help and not showing off.

I assume this is your first time living outside the US.  You have to take it easy man and remind yourself that people here do not think or behave like you and they are not like you at all, even if you are Libyan by blood.  Also do not forget they are a very traditional homogeneous society with not much exposure to foreigners so the way you (or I, or most of us foreigners here) behave is very strange to them.

Just think about a simple example - it's really strange for foreigners from some countries to see Americans with their "sincere smiles" and vice versa - some Americans view foreigners in their country as unfriendly because they are not constantly smiling.

It's very easy to find all kinds of negatives when you are new in the country - so many frustrations, probably a bunch of stress etc - but try to remember that YOU chose to come here, I'm sure you are getting a significant benefit from being here so try to look at the positives, take it easy, give yourself some time, don't worry about Libyans too much, read up on how to handle culture shock, make some friends, do something you enjoy and that makes you feel good and see this experience as an adventure.

I better sign out now before I get addicted to this board. lol

I agree with smallworld 100%.

MoEl...what are you talking about?
Libyans are very very friendly people especially to foreigners
polite and kind.u just  met the few bad people of the society but every society in the world have some bad ignorant people.
talking like America is a paradise :/

MoEl,

Need to go back to the states to see a doctor, to sort urself out... its a culture shock

Do not trust these doctors. lol

smallworld wrote:

Just as a random example... i don't know a single woman in N. America who does not have at least some jitters when considering having a baby (extra expenses, time from work, child care costs, work/family balance, saving for education, potential divorce and being a single mother).  Libyan women usually do not worry about ANY of this.

So maybe the life in Libya is more boring but certainly more peaceful.

...i wouldn't be too sure of women not worrying about these things here...they are women too...and the divorce rates increase by the day...

Hello Moel,

My two cents on this matter is that it has to do also with your appearance. Since you are Libyan by descent (basically, you look like a Libyan!), and you can also speak Arabic, so I think this is one factor that you might not be able to experience the, for lack of a better term, 'special treatment' from Libyans. If you looked more occidental, I presume that the locals might be more 'welcoming'.

This is the case also in Japan and Korea. I lived in both places for a while, and it seems that Kyopos (Korean-Americans), and Japanese-Americans, recieve less preferential treatment than gaijins, or 'occidental-looking' people. Even in my native Thailand, it seems that sometimes foreigners get better service and treatment than locals. It's just the way of the world apparently.

Sometimes we might just want to treat our guests better than our own people, I guess!   

So my suggestion to you is this:

1) Follow smallworld's advice, and
2) Try to blend in as much as you can with the locals. I don't think this should be too hard since you have one big advantage than most of us on this board: you can speak Arabic!! I don't know how fluent you are, but if you aren't a fluent speaker, maybe you can do a language exchange with a local (perhaps a student) who is interested in English. That might open doors and lead to good things, you never know! :) 

Good luck to your adventures in the Sahara!

veechansa wrote:

you can speak Arabic!

Boy do i speak Arabic. I speak Arabic with vengeant vigor (was the first even a word?)!! How's that for fluent?

BTW, thanks veechansa

redsaraya wrote:

...i wouldn't be too sure of women not worrying about these things here...they are women too...and the divorce rates increase by the day...

To be honest I haven't heard of any divorced people yet. But I did hear about a bunch of people in the two-wives situation.  This is sick IMHO but seems like it's their "social welfare system".

smallworld wrote:

But I did hear about a bunch of people in the two-wives situation.  This is sick IMHO but seems like it's their "social welfare system".

Interesting how females are often the ones to bash polygamy. BTW, it's not as fun as you would think--threesomes aren't permitted. you knew that?

bump???

MoEl wrote:

threesomes aren't permitted

says who? :lol:

are Libyan standards of living despicably low?
from my experiment Life here much better than others , and i think Cubean ppl are happiest ppl on earth ,
i have been to USA, Malaysia, Indonesia,Australia, Valenzuela,cuba,Europe and Africans countries ,

in Colorado,Denver I've seen people eating from garbage there , and in Denver center load of homeless
most people in Denver was not happy

then Cuba in December 2009 till Feb 2010 , I found them very happy people , the smiling and dancing all the time , even tough they are very very very poor , they have to weak up at 6 am to get some bread , or sleep without meal , their income range between 20 to 30 Dollar month,but they still happy ,

then Bali island in Indonesia , people was ok , but very poor as well , much better than Cuba ,but Cuba still more happy

then Cayo Coco island in Caribbean 2010 march , ppl very poor , they serving the tourist from north america , and most of them not happy , no cars, not enough food for the kids
life very difficult , but for tourist they will see another side, a lot of fun there, drink , Rum , blue beaches , cheap , hot girls , but the local ppl not happy , and not enough income

Malta ( many times ), life in malta is good for foregin , but too bad for locals , and they want to be away from EU ,because they can not handle life like other european , ppl work very hard , but not happy at all
Denmark 2010;- ppl very ok , very high income , and tax is crazy ,
very very expensive , crime very high ,and  suicidal everyday in new's  why ?  I don't know

Tunisia and Egypt <  nice places for tourist , but like hell for locals
in Egypt ppl living everywhere , no homes ,
Tunisian living on tourist ppl cost , they don't have any other income ,  ppl there living very hard life, and they have one thing in their minds, is how they can cross the sea to be in Europe ,
many of them drowing in Libyan sea every month

Life in Libya very good for locals , but hard on foreign ,
even tough is start getting hard and harder every year , but the income is ok not bad ,
ppl not happy in tripoli and bengazi because of politic issuse and slow repair to the country and dirt , but in country side ppl very happy

Libya is moderate , not low or high , it's very ok in compare to the other country in the content ( Africa ) and we should not compare it with countries from other contents

wtf?

ibrahjette wrote:

and we should not compare it with countries from other contents

Which is basically what you're entire post had just done ?:rolleyes:

But I like the idea that people might be poor but are happy as long as they can dance.

Bring on the Samba in Tripoli, we can dance 'til dawn and be happy. :)

smallworld wrote:

Waah.. such a statement.

from a women's perspective, from my chats with my female libyan colleagues, who i thought were happy living simple lives, they are actually not quite happy..

One said her fiancé is stupid because he only works 9am - 2pm everyday doing nothing and never read the books she lends him and cant believe she has to marry him. They also do have ambitions working outside libya but that would be impossible because that would make their fathers go berserk, to do architecture or engineering or journalism. One said she has dreams to set up a women's NGO for women in Libya because there are many single mothers out there (who knew)that need to support their kids on their own and of course, for other freedom issues.

They do worry about paying the bills and such and thats why they find suitors who got money, house, car,etc before getting engaged. Getting married is like finding a pot of gold.

The women here got spunk and I love their spirit. The only thing that is keeping them from their dreams, are the men.

and they read the same Agatha Christie books I read, only in Arabic!

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 906#149136

MoEl wrote:

I vote for the latter.

Life would be easier here if people during the breaks on the hash didn't do push ups :lol::cool: We have some mutual friends Mo.

It wasn't me who grassed. :P

Moel, you do really need a hobby. I think your life is too simple.. :D

Clansman wrote:
MoEl wrote:

I vote for the latter.

Life would be easier here if people during the breaks on the hash didn't do push ups :lol::cool: We have some mutual friends Mo.

pushups are for sissies. those were triple-clap pushups. Why dont you join us sometime? I can introduce you to Puckey & Abigail

MoEl wrote:
Clansman wrote:
MoEl wrote:

I vote for the latter.

pushups are for sissies. those were triple-clap pushups. Why dont you join us sometime? I can introduce you to Puckey & Abigail

Would love to join you next time mate, just don't expect me to be able to keep up with you, over did it in the gym today, shoulders and arms, mucho pain.

you boys must stop meeting up in the showers.