Help me decide!! Ho Chi Minh City or Hanoi?! Moving in October

mandynguyen wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:

Ha Noi is a nice city, but honestly, the people are not.Saigon is more dynamic and  a friendlier city.

"Alll bread is not baked in one oven"!

Mandy

I do not live in VN (yet) but am about to head there for my 10th visit ... have traveled and spent time throughout (From Can Tho to Hanoi and most places between) ... While Hanoi and the surrounding areas were interesting, and while some select people were friendly (or maybe less 'not friendly'), the overall reception was nothing like the south.

In the south, I have met people from all walks of life, sat and had drinks with complete strangers (who became friends), was randomly invited to join a wedding party, played billiards and went to eat with a Captain (tank commander) in the army. I do not tend to stay in the 'tourist' areas ... I venture out ... ride my moto throughout HCMC and well into the surrounding towns and villages.

In the North, I found the people to be 'polite' but removed. The smiles and '... where are you from? ...' were not there. While I did find some fun people to play some billiards, I also had 2 restaurants that flat out refused to serve me. My wife (now ex wife) and her mother also found the people to be 'less friendly' (apparently becayse of their 'southern accents').

Overall, while I will certainly visit Hanoi and the surrounding areas again, I would not choose to live there ... my personal thoughts ... everyone should try to experience all they can and make there own choices.

My 2 cents ... or maybe a bit more ;)

saigon_dep_lam wrote:

I envy you guys for being there.  I would love to live there.

So what's stopping you?

Thanks so much for your response, Nina! I will be arriving in HCMC at the end of this month. Let me know if you will be in the area!

Best,

Grace

If you are interested in photography, fashion, politics, art, sports, travel, I thinh the best choice is HCMC because HCMC is where the conferences, festivals, events are celecrated.
I provide you the price of following hotels:
Continental: deluxe room 2.570.000vnd
Grand: luxury wing – deluxe room 2.345.000vnd; luxury wing – junior deluxe room 2.460.000vnd
Duxton: 2.345.000vnd
Kim do: deluxe room 1.885.000vnd
Palace: deluxe room 2.337.000vnd
Oscar: deluxe room 1.779.000vnd

moreover, i too will have plan trip to Vietnam, you can contact me for my email: [email protected]

The people are vastly different between Hanoi and Saigon.  I used to live in Saigon but visited Hanoi a lot.  I really enjoyed my stay in Dalat but now I believe that Da Nang is the right choice.  Easy to travel north or south,  beautiful beaches, lower cost of living.  In Hanoi and Saigon many professional beggars and junk sales directed towards westeners.  Not many in Da Nang.

Yes Da Nang is a good choice, I also wanted to move there but my girlfriend couldnt due to the massive decrease in her salary. Nice clean air, good infastructre, but not a lot of work for people who want to seek employment.

ancientpathos wrote:

The people are vastly different between Hanoi and Saigon.  I used to live in Saigon but visited Hanoi a lot.  I really enjoyed my stay in Dalat but now I believe that Da Nang is the right choice.  Easy to travel north or south,  beautiful beaches, lower cost of living.  In Hanoi and Saigon many professional beggars and junk sales directed towards westeners.  Not many in Da Nang.

colinoscapee wrote:

Yes Da Nang is a good choice, I also wanted to move there but my girlfriend couldnt due to the massive decrease in her salary. Nice clean air, good infastructre, but not a lot of work for people who want to seek employment.

I've heard many good things about Đà Nẵng, particularly about the City's Management.  There's been problem stories I typically read but there's also been solution stories that follow them: the pan-handling and the motorbike racing are two recent examples.  Probably that's why ancientpathos recognizes there's not many beggers and junk sales people. 

Probably tie in with that is just what you said SIX, not a lot of work.  I know the South has been getting alot of social ills due to the heavy influx of workers..drugs, prostitution, etc.  So growing without massive build-up of factories at a slow and steady state makes things more manageable.

So ancientpathos, have you found a good hangout place yet?  I heard there was alot of GIs retiring in Đà Nẵng.

After all of your recommendation, I will move to a calm and nice place then :D

HCMC is the best place for expats due to its growing businesses and developing companies. All of the biggest companies and buildings are located in HCMC. Thus, the infrastructure, entertainment activities, and services are also on the way to catch up with this blooming process. It's an active and young city fitted young persons as you. Whereas Hanoi is a little bit more competitive because it's smaller, but not quieter. People there usually carry not as good mood as people at the South.
When you move to HCMC, shoot me an email via [email protected]. I'll happy to have a friend to exchange emails with and probably we can meet in person someday. :)
Good luck with your choice,
Khoi.

It's hard to find a job over there.
Plus I have a family to support.

I think HCMC is the best place for you.

gracehanley wrote:

Hey everyone!

I am a 22 year old American from New York City. Right now, I'm in contact with a school in Vietnam to teach English. I just finished my CELTA certificate and am finalizing my job plans. I hope to be in Vietnam in October.

I am struggling to decide between Ho Chi Minh City and Hanoi. I am interested in photography, fashion, politics, art, sports, travel, etc.

Does anyone have an idea of which city will suit be best? I have been going back and forth researching, but I would love further insight from current expats!

Thanks in advance!

Grace

It seems you already got your decision. And it's not important whether Hanoi or Ho Chi Minh anymore cause you will be in Vietnam. It's easy for you to move up to the north when you get bored with the southern life. Uhm, but still, my feeling from your photo, what you describe about yourself, I think you would like Hanoi more than Ho Chi Minh City. Anyway, hope you will enjoy your stay in Vietnam :)

Im also moving to hanoi to teach english. I stayed in hcm before. Its more exciting and enjoyable than hanoi but the weather is 4 seasons in hanoi unlike hcm where its always hot and humid. Hcm is more modern but more expensive. Hanoi is more balanced but you can find all the same things as in hcm

There seems to be more pro-HCMC people around here, so I will chime on Hanoi, just for a balanced perspective.

Hanoi has 4 seasons and HCMC has two.What it mean is that you only need spring-summer or summer-autumn light clothes in the south. If you want to wear more styles, try Hanoi. You will need cold clothes for winter times, though to New Yorkers it's barely qualified as long sleeves clothes weather :lol:

Hanoi is the centre of cultural and political scenes. What it mean that is more NGOs.embassies, and officials up north. If your work relate to people of that group, Hanoi is the obvious choice. 

Foods are plentiful and different. Hanoi get all the foods from each region and keep only what it likes. The style, the spices, and seasonings are different between the two. If you like HCMC foods it's possible you dont like Hanoi;s and vice versa. From what I can tell HCMC food is sweeter from mononatri glutamat? Hanoi like to make base soup from boiling cow legbones for a long time, not using mi chinh... That's just one difference.

Commerce. As you can see, HCMC is more lively than Hanoi. Still, Hanoi is no backwater. What HCMC do, Hanoi can also do, though maybe not as exuberant. There's an article compare commerce people in HCMC is true commercial, while Hanoi come more from industry background: artisan versus merchant, so to speak. The FLappy Bird author, Nguyen Ha Dong, is born and working up here, not down south.

HCMC is beach town and Hanoi is mountain town.  There's less beach in the north but more mountain places to visit. Sapa, Yen Tu, etc... If you like to explore virgin places, up north has more chance than down south. Though up north we have Halong bay as a natural wonder of bay and thousand islets.

Atmostphere. If HCMC is influenced by Singapore or Thailand, Hanoi is more influenced by Chinese towns. The artistic influence in architecture and sculpture is more varied than in the south, as a blend of VN, Chinese, French and old Indian. I would say artistic people might like Hanoi more, but that's my opinion. The cultural tourism aspect is also very strong, especially in spring.

Hanoi is more reserved and aloof than HCMC people, from what people around here say. I think we are a bit alike to the aloof americans when they are inside USA. Certainly welcome new guests with no problem, but need time before we consider them friend instead of acquaintance. :lol:

gracehanley wrote:

Hey everyone!

I am a 22 year old American from New York City. Right now, I'm in contact with a school in Vietnam to teach English. I just finished my CELTA certificate and am finalizing my job plans. I hope to be in Vietnam in October.

I am struggling to decide between Ho Chi Minh City and Hanoi. I am interested in photography, fashion, politics, art, sports, travel, etc.

Does anyone have an idea of which city will suit be best? I have been going back and forth researching, but I would love further insight from current expats!

Thanks in advance!

I would recommend you transit to HCMC. In term of weather, HCMC is much better. Very high humidity in Ha Noi.

Cheers~

Grace

Hanoi is only humid in certain months of the year, mostly summer.

Hi Grace, both cities are nice  . Hanoi- I opposed to those who sai Hanoian are not friendly..the young passengers on their public bus and anywhere are more friendly, helpful and respectful, this is per my experience,, and per my observation, i have lived there for 7 months , ANd I moved around some places while I was there, More cars than motorbike..Saigon however have more fun and convenient if you miss something from home.with the largest presence of westener Im quite sure all will be easy for you.I love both cities but all its up to you to decide once yo are here..Goodluck

Dear Grace

May I ask do you have contracts yet?  HCMC foreigners population might be biggest in Vietnam, but in term of job prospects, especially teaching, Hanoi might be better.

At least, according to the wanted ad mails sent to my inbox.

My advice, actually is to choose a HN job, if one offer to you now. if HN is not to your liking I think the chance to move from HN to HCMC is easier. I dont think the same happen in reverse direction.

gracehanley wrote:

Hey everyone!

Thanks in advance!

Grace

in my opinion. HCM is better. HCM has a lot of entertainment places and people in here are very friendly.

hi,
From the standpoint of tourists, ?Hanoi and HCM city are considered as the most favourable tourist destinations in Vietnam. However, each place posseses specific characteristics, which make them differant from each other.
First is transportation. HCM has better transportation system.infact, traffic jam in HCM is less severe than that in HN.
Second is weather. HN has extreme four seasons while HCM just has two seasons (dry and rainy seasons). The summer in HN is really really hot, whereas the winter is quite cool ( I think you will love the winter here).
Third is travel destinations. HN is a politic city. ALthough it is developing to civiliztion, it also preserves traditional village such as Bat Trang Pottery, Dong Ho picture. HCM is a vibrant and ecomomical city. Its development is covered with Western style buildings such as
HN is a politics city. Although it is developing to civilization, it also preserves traditional village  such as Bat Trang Pottery, Dong Ho Picture,In HCM- city of economic, its development is covered with Western style as high building, skyscrapers,
I give you these article, hope that they can give something in your mind :p
things should do in Hanoi
things should do in Ho Chi Minh city
Finally, cost of living and tourism service. In HCM, cost is quite expensive, Whereas HHanoi ranked to be the second cheapest city in the world
Hope that these information can be helpful to you.
Goodluck,
Me.

Hello,
It's up to you but I strongly suggest Saigon.
Wish you be happy with your final choice.
Cheers,

This is great post....I have been in Hanoi for almost three months now and my overall feeling as an individualistic, freethinking vietnamese american is people here are not that welcoming. I can probably make many expat friends but really cannot make many local vietnamese friends.

Let's say I want to meet some local girls (platonic friends) that may have some similar interest like me here, fashion, art, music, etc... I can't make a connection without knowing someone else to introduce me?! And even with the intro, it's been way more difficult than I personally feel it should be up here, it's craziness....way to stay in your small bubble and close off from meeting other possibly, cool like minded people that could expand your horizons.

Also, for me at least...this in between wet weather (hot/cold) has me constantly fighting some slight sickness off. As much as I thought I would enjoy the fallish type weather here, it's not that great for my health I don't believe.

I pretty much decided that I am packing up and moving down south in three months after my lease ends, I hope to find cooler, more independent locals to hang with when I'm there.

Fellow East coasters (NYC/MA) you have another one coming down!

Different people in this post have said different things regarding which is more inexpensive to live in...which one is it?!

You will find the South much friendlier than the North,even my friends from the North say the same thing.

colinoscapee wrote:

You will find the South much friendlier than the North,even my friends from the North say the same thing.

Thanks for comment, I really hope so.

peterpan75 wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:

Thanks for comment, I really hope so.

It's true. That's why many people who live in Saigon in a long time, they don't want to come back to Hanoi... like me. Even I still haven't accept many things here in the South, but people here are easier, more simple than the North. They don't care so much about your behavior, as well as you don't do anything harmfully to them.

hanoi city off the communist,saigon city off the democrates,,who wants to live hanoi?full of 2faces and the city off dictaters, saigon exellent for young people ,if your formel old and boring go to hanoi,the city sleeps at 10pm,saigon is a city that never sleeps...buy the way vietnamese language from the south is much eazyer to learn,sorry no disrespect,but i hate the language of the north,its very sharp and difficult to understand...

peterpan75 wrote:

Anyone have an answer to my "which is more expensive" question?

I don't know about foreigners, but with Vietnamese, live in Saigon is much cheaper than Hanoi.

ngattt wrote:
peterpan75 wrote:

Anyone have an answer to my "which is more expensive" question?

I don't know about foreigners, but with Vietnamese, live in Saigon is much cheaper than Hanoi.

Can you please explain what you actually mean? the major is renting a living space which from what I can tell, seems to be a bit more expensive for a 1 bedroom(hanoi $450-$60 vs saigon $500 - $700) respectively.

peterpan75 wrote:

Can you please explain what you actually mean? the major is renting a living space which from what I can tell, seems to be a bit more expensive for a 1 bedroom(hanoi $450-$60 vs saigon $500 - $700) respectively.

Where you rent a room in Saigon with 500-700$? And where in Hanoi? Hanoi is very smaller than Saigon. Everything there is small, small street, small house,...

My friend rent a room at Hai Ba Trung street in Saigon, just 300$. He said he is really like it, even it's more beautiful than his room in Finland.

I lived in Hanoi 6 years ago. Then I lived in District 2 in Saigon in 2 years. After that, I went to Hanoi in a short time because of family reason. After living in Saigon, then Hanoi, I don't want to come back there to live again.

Renting a room in Cau Giay district at that time (3 years ago) is more expensive than a room in Thu Duc district NOW, even room in Hanoi is smaller. Food also more expensive than Saigon. I don't know about bars or many restaurants in Hanoi. My colleagues and I always went to the same restaurant, and sure, it was much expensive than Saigon (same level).

ngattt wrote:
peterpan75 wrote:

Where you rent a room in Saigon with 500-700$? And where in Hanoi? Hanoi is very smaller than Saigon. Everything there is small, small street, small house,...

My friend rent a room at Hai Ba Trung street in Saigon, just 300$. He said he is really like it, even it's more beautiful than his room in Finland.

I lived in Hanoi 6 years ago. Then I lived in District 2 in Saigon in 2 years. After that, I went to Hanoi in a short time because of family reason. After living in Saigon, then Hanoi, I don't want to come back there to live again.

Renting a room in Cau Giay district at that time (3 years ago) is more expensive than a room in Thu Duc district NOW, even room in Hanoi is smaller. Food also more expensive than Saigon. I don't know about bars or many restaurants in Hanoi. My colleagues and I always went to the same restaurant, and sure, it was much expensive than Saigon (same level).

Well, I was referring to a whole apartment...not just a room in a shared house. Anyways, thanks for the info.

I guess HCMC is better but depends on your lifestyle....

I'd pick Saigon.  I was born there and like the hustling and bustling atmosphere.

Moderated by Julien 8 years ago
Reason : advertising your services isn't allowed here
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Ho Chi Minh is better and more active

A good option may be to spend a week or two in each city and see which one you like the most. I mean that without any sarcasm..

Ok, I would say go to HCMC! but I would not say that HCMC is safer than Hanoi, totally opposite! there are more purce and phone snatching happening in HCMC than in Hanoi.

But as for foreigners both cities are safe, just use your common sense and don't hold your phone way it could be taken.

What Hanoi don't serve Pho Bo??? What I have been eating..??? and they have Bo Vien too.

If you want to go out and have fun.. HCMC is your best option.

ou.. and I live in Hanoi... would I love it?? no,but I tolerate it.. x)

I use to rent apartment in My Dinh, 4 rooms and kitchen for 300usd.. it all depends where you want to live.

You will make a good choice if it is Saigon or Hanoi. Both are good cities. The real factors will be the weather and chosing a good employer. Lots of teaching jobs in both cities. Hanoi needs esl teachers badly and Easier to get jobs. There are A lot of teachers in saigon.

What I've experienced is that southern viets speak badly of their northern countrymen. I am American like yourself. I lived in both places. I liked the north better than the south.

There are other cities better than these two. You choose the best job and living conditions in a city of your choice. You will find traveling is easy to do here and you'll find a city you will love.

As Alexter said, there are more jobs available in Ha Noi and the reason is that most expats prefer the South over the North.Northerners have a different mentality than their southern counterparts and many people dont really like it.

here is good example of differences between Saigon and Hanoi :)https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zp9FtVByQF4

I think you will enjoy Hanoi more than HCM based on your interests and hobbies. Hanoi is more traditional in a positive way, and has a lot more character than Saigon. Plus, Hn is closer to most beautiful tourist attractions like Ha Long Bay and Sapa. Don't forget to visit Cat Ba Island when you go to Ha Long!