Dependant visa on my wife or my son?

Hello,

My working situation is similar to people working offshore; meaning I will not be employed by an Malaysian company and I'm sent to different locations around the world (1 to 2 times a month for aroud a week per trip) when I am needed before I return to my "base", soon being Malaysia.

Now to the question. What is the most practical (and legal) way for me to stay in Malaysia? My wife will be studying so do I "ride" on her student visa and apply for a dependant visa? My son will be attending an international school so do I apply for a dependent visa on him? Or (as I am a Swedish national) do I get the 90 day tourist visa stamp every time I return bak to Malaysia?

An imoprtant note to my query is that the time I spend in Malaysia is my time off; in other words I will NOT be working when here, only when sent abroad!

Kent

It's not really going to work to rely on a tourist visa as immigration is getting much tougher and you will be questioned every time you leave and arrive back in Malaysia.

Your son will only get his visa based on either of his parents being in Malaysia on a valid visa. He is classed as a dependent and will subsequently apply for permission to study.

The best option seems to be as an accompanying spouse who is a student in Malaysia.

It will also depend on where your contract of employment says you are based.  But you really must not carry out work in Malaysia or receive your salary here.

Hi
Agree with Gravitas.. Just my two cents here.. If you got money, then invest in MM2H programme..!
Cheers..!

MM2H is another way which gives a 10 year social visit pass.  Your wife and son would have to apply for a student pass as well (that is the process) - ask Agnes, as one of her friends is MD of a company dealing with MM2H and she can arrange for a free assessment of what will be best for you and your family.

Please note that MM2H requires a fixed deposit for each of the parties that apply e.g. husband and/or wife and it does not give the right to work. However, permission may be obtainable for 20 hrs per week - if you have an assessment that will be covered too.

How attractive the MM2H is will depend on plans once your wife has completed her studies. In my opinion, if you all decide to stay on in Malaysia for the longer term and want to work or do business, then opening a company (onshore - there are different types including a branch of an existing company you may own elsewhere in the world) or (offshore in Labuan) might be more beneficial as it gives you immigration and work permit rights.

Gravitas wrote:

It's not really going to work to rely on a tourist visa as immigration is getting much tougher and you will be questioned every time you leave and arrive back in Malaysia.

But does this really matter as every time I come back to Malaysia it will be for holiday so there will not be anything to "explain"?

Gravitas wrote:

Your son will only get his visa based on either of his parents being in Malaysia on a valid visa. He is classed as a dependent and will subsequently apply for permission to study.

Ok, thank you for this information, this I was not aware of.

Gravitas wrote:

The best option seems to be as an accompanying spouse who is a student in Malaysia.

This was my initial thought from the start that this has to be the best way of arranging things.

Gravitas wrote:

It will also depend on where your contract of employment says you are based.  But you really must not carry out work in Malaysia or receive your salary here.

As I mentioned in my opening post; when I will be in Malaysia I will be on holiday, absolutely NO work will be done. My employer is based in Hong Kong and my salary is payed to a HK account, not  Malaysian.

Kent

coooolguy_tdh wrote:

Hi
Agree with Gravitas.. Just my two cents here.. If you got money, then invest in MM2H programme..!
Cheers..!

I have absolutely no interest in investing in the MM2H program. If I where to "invest" I would be doing so by setting up a company and taking out a work permit for me and my family. This has been discussed in a previous thread so I am fully up to speed how this can be done correctly: https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=139436

As for now I want to wait one year to feel that Malaysia is the right country for us (as I am freelance and am able to settle more or less anywhere) before I spend the RM 15-20.000 it takes to do this.

Kent

Gravitas wrote:

How attractive the MM2H is will depend on plans once your wife has completed her studies. In my opinion, if you all decide to stay on in Malaysia for the longer term and want to work or do business, then opening a company (onshore - there are different types including a branch of an existing company you may own elsewhere in the world) or (offshore in Labuan) might be more beneficial as it gives you immigration and work permit rights.

This is the most likely path we will be taking in the long run (this is exactly how we have been doing things in Thailand for the past 7 years) as it has several positive aspects compared to the MM2H programe.

Kent

Hi I f you really want  to come to malaysia plesae contact me at [email protected] .please send ur details

raja9999 wrote:

Hi I f you really want  to come to malaysia plesae contact me at [email protected] .please send ur details

Hi raja9999,

I'm allready in Malaysia and am here on a dependent visa on my sons student visa. My wife applyed for an social visit visa as only one parent is allowed an dependant visa. So everything is tsken care of.

Kent

thanks really good ... and where are you from ?? where you liven in Kl
looking forward if  you have any help.........

Correction: I'm here on a guardian visa, not a dependant visa.

Kent