Recomended places to live

Hi,

I'm coming to Malta in 10 days and will be staying in a hotel for start, but also looking for a place to live so that my family can come too.

So, we were recomended that pembroke has good schools so I'm searching something near by. One of recomended places is Swieqi.

I'll be working in birkirkara, but would like to live closer to the sea, so that wife and kids (5yo and 6m month)dont need to travel long.

So basicly :

close to the sea (not necesary directly at sea)
close to good school like in pembroke
close to shops (we wont have a car)

Any recomendations?

Lol, not a lot of choice then!!!
St Julians but it's busy and noisy. You won't want to go round much further towards Sliema as it takes you further away from Pembroke.
I was going to say Bahar ic Caghaq. It's quieter and nice for kids but no shops of sorts.
There are many good schools in Malta. Are you looking for private or government?...That way you will have more choice.

Gzira, it has a waterfront, but lot of residential buildings inland, lot of small shops and a bigger supermarket with home delivery service (we do not have a car either). the state school belongs to the same college as  the Pembroke primary. If you are looking for private there is Newark and some church school as well (my children go to the local primary, so I do not know much about the private ones).

Not as posh as Pembroke supposed to be and less expensive to rent as in Sliema in general.
Also Msida has some nice bits and it is possible to find affordable accommodation in Ta Xbiex.

sorry, forgot to say thx for your posts

the school will be public

I'll check out gzira also then ;)

schools

public as in private or public as in government/church run ?

goverment ones

Duxx wrote:

Hi,

I'm coming to Malta in 10 days and will be staying in a hotel for start, but also looking for a place to live so that my family can come too.

So, we were recomended that pembroke has good schools so I'm searching something near by. One of recomended places is Swieqi.

I'll be working in birkirkara, but would like to live closer to the sea, so that wife and kids (5yo and 6m month)dont need to travel long.

So basicly :

close to the sea (not necesary directly at sea)
close to good school like in pembroke
close to shops (we wont have a car)

Any recomendations?

Hi Duxx

If you are going to work in Birkirkara, try to find a place to live in Balzan, which is just few mins walking from Birkirakara. It's a central place, very quiet and near to Attard too. MI my son will start to attend a public school (kindergarten) in October and as we're living in Balzan, he will go to Lija Primary School. From what I have been told from some people who live in this area, that school, it's probably one of the best public schools in Malta.
You are not too far from sea anywhere in Malta and you'll have SmartSupermarket just few mins walking from here.

good luck!

my search so far is going nowhere, agent's been showing me apartements for 3 days, but no luck so far

(we are family of 4)

I've seen a house in sliema which i belive is cold as polar during winter couse there is no way to heat up all those staircases and rooms, plus altough bathroom and kitchen are modern the rest is from... world war 2 (550)

2 flats in msida, furniture is somewhat showing wear of time, neibourghood is non appealing + in one communal area we were meeted buy a BIG cockroach  - (550 x2)

mensionette (dont know to spell it ;) in swieqi (upper part) -  with old furniture and huge hallway a bit of outside space - 600,

flat in swieqi - with furniture thats falling apart and walls from which paint is falling down - 650

flat in gzira - i belive the building is called cube, modern furniture, but not so close to shops, high up in the air, and maybe it's just me but i didnt see any place for kids to play outside, and this is just my personal opinion - it feels "cold", not like a home - 650

2 flats in swieqi one by another - smaller (about 50m2) basicly hasnt got a living room- its miniature but has balcony  - 550, bigger is really nice, but the price not so nice - 700. Both with roof acess. And the biggest regreat is - only avaiable for 8 months, then you must go out as short lets come in. I dont wish to move just as my kid get s to know the place and meets new friends

So, either I'm to demanding (looking for 1 bedroom flat, 2 if price is ok, fairly modern furniture, fully furnished, close to shops and bus station, school, children friendly - so basicly in the area of swieqi, sliema, st julian - max 600e) OR the market is wrong at this point of year OR ... ?

And another question couse I'm going there tomorrow: any opinions about Ibragg? (above swieqi)

Hi,

I do not know what you mean by close but we live in The Cube building in Gzira ( if we are talking about the same place). It is true that the building does not have a space for children to play (it is not typical here), but we live on the ground floor and my children play in the courtyard (they ride their bicycles, run around with our dog and no one cares during the day). The closest playground is about 5 min walk on the seafront, the other playground in Msida Marina about 10 min walk. Lots of small shops between our street and the seafront (stationary, ironmongery, very good fishmonger, fruit and veg, pharmacy, etc) Gala supermarket about 5 min walk on Testaferrata street. The Gzira primary is one street up from our apartment and the public health clinic is in Gzira (about 15 min walk). I do not know how big is the area covered by it, but my friends are telling me that they supposed to belong to this clinic and they live in Swieqi, so we are lucky that the clinic is within walking distance (and it is open every day).
In my personal experience these are the two prototypes here: a former family home rented out and treated like a shrine ( can't move anything, older not very functional furniture, lots of nick-knacks, etc.) owner takes every small scratch as personal offence. The other type is built for rental, owner most likely owns a lot of other rental apartments, the furniture is bland, no homey feeling, but the landlords treats it as a business, so you can ask for extra things or furniture to be moved, etc. Sorry for generalizing:)

I have met only one (dead) cockroach in our bathroom couple of months ago, however I am told that cockroaches are part of the lifestyle here:)

Duxx from you comments of some of the properties looks like you would immediately discard some of them (for example those that you dislike the furniture) if you had seen a photo before. Have you done some research of properties through the Internet or are you just visiting the apartments that estate agents recommend you?

If you are doing just the second part of my question it might be useful for you to spend some hours looking on recent ads published on Maltapark and search also for available properties in websites from estate agent companies such as remax and frank salt (if I remember correctly, the websites of these 2 estate agent companies usually update the availability of the properties listed). On a few hours you can see hundreds of apartments that would probably take you months to check in person, you can select many of them and then check those apartments in person.

Do not trust any picture in an advert. Properties rarely look as they do in the picture, if indeed the picture is of the actual  property listed!

Hi, for one, you are looking in the more expensive part of Malta. Apart from Sliema/Gizra, the rental options are limited in the other areas you mention.
Places will come down in price at the end of September and you may have more choice.
Just an idea when you're here, have a look at a couple of places in St.Paul's Bay/Bugibba/Qawra and see what you can get for your money.

thx all for reply

I know that I'm seraching in the more expensive part of  Malta, but just doing as recomended as a places with lots of expats

buggiba area is quite far from b'kara, it's just not so appyling

regarding research - so far I've seen only places shown to my by my agent from remax

today I'm going to see some places with 2 other agents

I check maltapark everyday and call ads that I like, but some I discard on the base on pictures and some dont want kids
the few that remain I'll go and see today

I was already told that in the end of month will be a better choice but I have to have it in next 5 days couse I cant rent a  short let for a 1 month and then again search for place, company pays just once for agents fees ;)

we'll, lets hope that todays 5-6 places will have a winner hidden between them ;)

lets hope so Good Luck

Hi,
Are you needing to catch the bus as the areas you are talking about are even worse for getting to Birkikara, there are no direct buses?
Bugibba has buses every 10 mins and takes you straight to Birkikara, although, it will take 40 mins to an hour in rush hour.
Swatar is away from the sea but nearer to Birkikara. There are also places like San Gwann and Naxxar, which are inbetween Pembroke area and Birkikara and have buses direct but they are away from the sea, full of shops and perhaps cheaper than Sliema/Gizra/etc.

Good luck!

redmik wrote:

Do not trust any picture in an advert. Properties rarely look as they do in the picture, if indeed the picture is of the actual  property listed!

I am sorry but I disagree with you remik, it's not always the case. The flat I am at the moment, I 1st seen the pictures of it in the internet and when I can to see, it was exactly as seen at the website. Nevertheless, people will only use the pictures from the adverts/websites to have a possible idea of what the flat might look like. Even if the pictures look very nice, you will still going to see it before you rent it, aren't you?

mantonas wrote:
redmik wrote:

I am sorry but I disagree with you remik, it's not always the case. The flat I am at the moment, I 1st seen the pictures of it in the internet and when I can to see, it was exactly as seen at the website. Nevertheless, people will only use the pictures from the adverts/websites to have a possible idea of what the flat might look like. Even if the pictures look very nice, you will still going to see it before you rent it, aren't you?

I agree, not always the case but a good premise from which to start work.
After all, what is an advertisement's purpose?
To turn a want into a need.

Be guided but do not accept until seen.

Duxx,
I think your hang up to be near Pembroke is misguided. You would have to live in Pembroke in order for your children to go to school there as it goes off your ID/e-Residency card.
Anywhere from there to Sliema means 2 buses for you to go to work, some of which, the area's you are talking about, require a walk also or just an hourly service.
Government schools are good everywhere, not just Pembroke (I think you have been advised this because of the well known private school in St.Andrews?) There is no league table, just areas that are slightly poorer, so perhaps not so suited to expat children (Maltese speaking.)
I travel on the buses everywhere, work all over the island and journeys can take up to 2 hours because of connecting buses etc...
You also need to take into account that Birkikara is the biggest populated town and you place of work may be no where near a bus route?
I wish you luck, let us know how it goes

Caroline

2 flats today - if I could move furniture from one to another i would have a winner :D

one was really nice iz ibrag, I would estimate quiet away from bay street, maye 40 min walk

the part that it's basicly basement from one side and street lvl on the other is first point for  no - basicly only master bedroom has natural light, rest of flat wery little

and owner has strange bill paying method - so every month he writes status on ec and water meter and for each unit of ec spent in last month I pay 0,24e and for 1m3 of water 5,15e  ?!

The other has great location in swieqi, but unfortunately furniture is very much destroyed with previous tennant, but I'm still considering it, maybe some can be replaced/repaired

just 2 flats for see tomorrow, pictures of one are very well, if the reality is similar - could be the one I need

Hi Duxx
Try here and ask for Andrew.
We bought our two properties from them. They also do rentals.
propertylinemalta.com/

Pity you didn't want full furnished apartment for Oct near Sliema. As long term let.

hes charging you his own rates (based loosely around domestic rates )to ensure that he gEts the bill covered - will he allow you on his account as a registered consumer eventually? once you get your e-residency?

MalteseCross wrote:

Hi Duxx

Pity you didn't want full furnished apartment for Oct near Sliema. As long term let.

i have to move out of the hotel in 3 days so thats  why I cant wait ;)

@toonarmy9752
no, price will always be the same, I cant get cheaper rate

Hi Duxx

On the website (on who ever does the bill?) There is a calculator where you put your units used in and it gives you the correct bill.
So if you were going down that road, I would make sure the landlord does it like that.

PS, did you find anywhere today??

Caroline

no, that landlord does it his way and it's always like that, doesnt get cheaper

friday was bad, out of 4 appartements scheduled, 3 were canceled to me and the 4. was bad

yesterday I finaly saw a great place with resonable price (in Gzira), only thing that worries me is that it's a 3 bedroom flat. Basicly an old town house converted in 2 flats, one on each lvl. the one I saw is on top. There is a lot of natural light in living room and master bedroom, but since hallway is long and living room is open to hallway I'm a bit concerned about heating in the winter, it's a place of about 90 m2

I would probably need 1 gas heater in living room, 1 in master bedroom (not on all the time, but still...), one in child bedroom, maybe EC radiator in bathroom and 3. bedroom would be locked up

sounds like 4-6 bottles per month (optimisticly)

on the other hand, as this is a first time it's beeing rented bills are (probably) already on residental tariff, I just need to check for how many people ;)
and both oven and hub are on gas + kitchen is with own water heater and has water pump

so far this is a best candidate ;)

and another question:
is there some kind of law that prohibits family of 4 living in a one bedroom appartement? Couse I was rejected in few of them, some even as big as 50m2

Hi Duxx, sounds like a good place and you would have the roof space for the kids?

That is the only way to heat the place in winter and yes, if you want heaters in each room it is expensive.
I don't know about others but we just heat the one room (hang a curtain up across the entrance to the hallway.)

Malta is cold in winter and very hot in summer, with only a couple of months of inbetween!

yes, half of the roof is from that flat, also nice balcony from the living room (seeing the street) and from master bedrom terrace (about 10-12 m2)

thx for the curtain tip, didnt even come to my mind :D

I am not sure if it is a law, but I had the same experience, we have two small children, who were not even willing to sleep in separate bedroom that time, still all the agents were pressing 2 even 3 bedroom places. Every time I saw something suitable in my opinion ( 1 bedroom, but over 50 m2 or 1 bedroom with a study, etc.) it was always dismissed by them as not suitable.

I've lived in a one bedroom with 2 kids but that was through a private rent.

Duxx wrote:
MalteseCross wrote:

Hi Duxx

i have to move out of the hotel in 3 days so thats  why I cant wait ;)

@toonarmy9752
no, price will always be the same, I cant get cheaper rate

my question is will he allow you as a consumer after you get the e-residency - if you are saying no then id walk away there are good non tax evading landlords out there. make that a demand of the agent if you are using one. Believe me you will regret it if you dont as the bills without the discounts are horrendous

in The Times today, PM is talking about abolishing the 2 tier pricing for both utilities and buses :-)

Duxx wrote:

no, that landlord does it his way and it's always like that, doesnt get cheaper

friday was bad, out of 4 appartements scheduled, 3 were canceled to me and the 4. was bad

yesterday I finaly saw a great place with resonable price (in Gzira), only thing that worries me is that it's a 3 bedroom flat. Basicly an old town house converted in 2 flats, one on each lvl. the one I saw is on top. There is a lot of natural light in living room and master bedroom, but since hallway is long and living room is open to hallway I'm a bit concerned about heating in the winter, it's a place of about 90 m2

I would probably need 1 gas heater in living room, 1 in master bedroom (not on all the time, but still...), one in child bedroom, maybe EC radiator in bathroom and 3. bedroom would be locked up

on the other hand, as this is a first time it's beeing rented bills are (probably) already on residental tariff, I just need to check for how many people ;)
and both oven and hub are on gas + kitchen is with own water heater and has water pump

so far this is a best candidate ;)

and another question:
is there some kind of law that prohibits family of 4 living in a one bedroom appartement? Couse I was rejected in few of them, some even as big as 50m2

so 70 -100 euros per month just for gas.......

dont assume it is on the residential tariff - it cannot be on a residential tariff if its not been rented before - unless the owner has lived in it  - but as he has moved he will have carried his tariff to his new abode, and this one will now be on domestic

"On the bus service, Dr Muscat said the people demanded an efficient, punctual service where trips did not take too long. The bendy buses, he said, had been shown to be part of the problem in the roads, with many people commenting how their removal had eased congestion.

The bendy buses, he said, had to be certified safe by an international organisation but road congestion was a factor in their use.

Other issues were also being discussed, including the different tariff structure between Maltese and foreigners, which he considered as discriminatory. The issue had been raised by the European Commission and not been sufficiently tackled by the old government.

There was also a related issue regarding discriminatory Enemalta tariffs which did not achieve much for the country but harmed the image which the country sought to portray, Dr Muscat said."

at last maybe some common sense

But who's to say they won't put all bus fares up now! Arriva need to make the money and if they increase it much more, the Maltese will not be pleased. A return use to cost no more than a euro.

coxf0001 wrote:

But who's to say they won't put all bus fares up now! Arriva need to make the money and if they increase it much more, the Maltese will not be pleased. A return use to cost no more than a euro.

Either Arriva will receive a bigger subsidy or fares will go up for residents.

whatever the price - they can implement the revision just as quickly as they did when they put the new price structure in place in 2011.

it will be interesting to see how they deal with it though and more importantly how quickly

redmik wrote:

Do not trust any picture in an advert.

Would you rent a place off a man like this?............Oh! you handsome devil you.

.......and before the 'teachers' come back to reprimand me.......
live in the South(ish).

toonarmy9752 wrote:
Duxx wrote:

and another question:

so 70 -100 euros per month just for gas.......

dont assume it is on the residential tariff - it cannot be on a residential tariff if its not been rented before - unless the owner has lived in it  - but as he has moved he will have carried his tariff to his new abode, and this one will now be on domestic

the owner lived there before and it's his only property and now he mowed out of the country ;)

but ofcourse, tommorow I will know for sure when I get to see the bill ;)

thats possible - good luck