OPENING A B&B OR GUEST HOUSE IN MERIDA OR SURROUNDS .. QUESTIONS?

DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY FIRST HAND INFORMATION ARE LOOKING TO OPEN A BOUTIQUE STYLE SMALL B&B IN EITHER IN MERIDA IN THE HISTORIC AREA OR IN PROGRESSO ON THE BEACH.

ONE OF THE QUESTIONS I GUESS I HAVE IS WHERE DO MOST PEOPLE PREFER TO STAY WHEN VISITING YUCATAN? IS THE CHARM OF THE HISTORICO CENTRO OF MERIDA MORE OF A DRAW THAN A PLACE ON THE BEACH WHERE MERIDA IS ABOUT 30 MINUTES (DRIVE) AWAY.

OUR PLANS ARE A 2-3 ROOM B&B WITH A POOL AND POSSIBLY A SALON/MASSAGE SPA (ON CALL) AND AN INTERNET CAFE ALSO ON THE PREMISE.

ONE LAST QUESTION IF ANYONE WOULD LIKE TO ANSWER WOULD A B&B THAT IS ADVENT-GUARD' THAT WOULD SOLICIT BOTH GAY AND GAY FRIENDLY CLIENTÈLE. FROM OUR EXPERIENCE WE RARELY SEE CHILDREN IN B&B'S WHEN WE TRAVEL, WHEN WE ARE WITH THE KIDS AND GRAND KIDS WE USUALLY STAY AT COMMERCIAL RESORTS. WE TRAVEL A GREAT DEAL TO KEY WEST AND ALWAYS STAY IN OLD TOWN AT GAY FRIENDLY B&B (SOME CALL THEM GUEST HOUSES, NOT QUITE SURE OF THE DIFFERENCE) IT JUST SEEMS LIKE IT'S ALWAYS BEEN A LIVELY MIX.

ANY INPUT WILL BE APPRECIATED.

JARCAN
SARASOTA, FL. USA

I considered that but ran into problems with neighborhood noise.   Mexican's like to celebrate any occasion.   A Band B customer is not going to be happy if the weekend  they have booked with you someone in the neighborhood decides to celebrate  with live music fireworks etc.  I  tried this in a very nice upper middle class area but I could not control what would happen on any given weekend noise wise.   Live music permits can be obtained for 3 am.  Please check this out carefully where you pl,an your B and B.  I had great advertising and great reservations, no worried but noise refunds made any kind of profit impossible.

Hi there
Your Idea sounds great and very energetic
We had similar plans and acquired a tax number, registered with SAT
Once we started to get into the red tape on the issue and the multiple layers of taxes applied
we soon realized that having the business wasn't worth the red tape to keep it going
I would strongly recommend that you hire an accountant to lay out the standards for you before investing any hard earned cash.

Good luck as you go forward

Hello everyone,

Please note that this an old thread (2010) , perhaps your insights would be more helpful on recent threads.

Christopher
Expat.com