Health Care

Hey, I am coming to Cairo in August.  I am wondering about prescription drug availablity.  I take high blood pressure medication and medication for cholesterol control.  Does anyone know about the availability of pharmaceuticals compared to the US?

Generally speaking you can get the medications easily and they're less expensive than in the U.S., though the newspapers have had stories about quality control in the production of the medications.  A lot of the expats I know use the mail order options of their medical insurance, others buy locally and I've never known of any of them to have any problems.  Quite often you'll find medications like for blood pressure don't require a prescription though when I've bought from a local pharmacy I've always had one so that I could be sure I was getting the right thing.

This is great information...great question...I was wondering about this the other day.

First, Welcome in Egypt.
Second, when meeting such problem it is recommended to visit the nearest HOSPITAL. 
If you stay near Heliopolis, specific MED information may be provided.
Hopping you are going better and be in a good healthy.
IMIG

When you refer to the mail order option for medication, do the meds come from the US?

Yes, they come from the States.  Depending on your contract you may have APO mail support but if you don't have you can get them through the Egyptian mail, though it can be less than timely.  To receive medicines through the Egyptian mail you have to get a permit.  The USPS has info on restrictions and prohibitions at http://pe.usps.com/text/imm/ce_025.htm#ep1637529

I take blood pressure meds and Lipitor, and I get them here.  The blood pressure meds are extremely inexpensive, the Lipitor is not that cheap.  For a three months supply of all three meds I spent about $200, and most of that was the cost of the Lipitor.

Hi, I just finished the Joint Commission Accreditation(USA BASED) project for Al Salam International Hospital in Maadi. They passed the accreditation with a score of 99.4%

I had a lot of interaction with the pharmacy during the project. I think you will find most drugs available both generic and brand, and you will find that they are more than half the price of USA.

big pharmacies here are everywhere
Please type your US medication here and I will ask for the equivalent here, my brother is pharmacist

i think it is better to bring yours with you it is better than the Egyptian medicine