Moving to KL - any advice on cost of living/accomodation appreciated

hi,

My partner and I are looking to move to KL for a few months towards the end of the year. She is Malaysian and has lived for 10 years and I have visited before so we know a bit about the city, but not much about living there as an expat. If things go well for the 2 months we would look to stay on a more permanent basis

I was wondering if anyone could offer any advice on how to find accommodation and any good areas? The main criteria is near to an LRT station within 20mins of sentral and a reasonable price. I've looked on the online websites (iproperty.com.my etc) but there doesn't seem to be much listed there and the listings are very old...

Is it possible to rent somewhere for just 2 months to start? Also what would be a reasonable rental price to pay for a nice (but not top end) studio/1bed condo or apartment?

Any other advice would be much appreciated :-)

Thanks in advance!

My recommendation is Gaya (Bangsar). New condo, near LRT, less than 20 mins with LRT to KLCC, KL Sentral is just next station (less than 5 mins).

As for reasonable price that's not so easy to answer, my guess is that you will land somewhere around 5-6K monthly with your requirements (lower if you go for 1y contract).

If you search on iproperty now for Gaya there's 70+ listed within the last week. Some of them is probably duplicates but for sure you can find a unit there if you want to. You will most likely have to pay higher than the listed price if you dont want to sign up for at least 1 year, call the agents and ask if they have any short term rentals.

And iproperty is active, very active. I don't know how you searched if you say that it mostly shows up old listings? 6000+ properties listed for rental within the last 3 days on iproperty.com.my ;)

Hello Rswoodbrown,

Welcome to Expat.com :)

Thank you Farm for the precious information.

Regards,
Pravin

[Moderated: Please post in Housing section]

Hi Rswoodbrown,

I have a studio apartment next to Gleneagles Hospital, Jalan Ampang letting out on short term basis. It can be from days to months. Let me know if you like to know more about it!

Hi Busy Bees,

Please post your advert in the Housing in Kuala Lumpur, this might be helpful. :)

Thank you,

David.

Short term rental are not acceptable by landlords. Minimum is 1year rent. 
I may be able to assist you, realistically not on a short term rent unless a service apartments. I have been in real estate marketing and managed properties for expat, hence i am knowledgeable on this areas.
Please advise arrival in kuala lumpur, sufficient time to make an  updated research.

Regards

Hello RSWoodbrown, I can heartily recommend Agnes who has lived overseas but is a Malaysian.  She is very knowledgeable about property,has very good connections and a wide expat circle of satisfied people, some of whom have done exactly what you are now planning. 

Where you live will undoubtedly colour the way you experience your experiment in KL, so it's important to be able to express how you think the whole experience should be and how you would see your daily routines.

If you want her contact details please email me at [email protected]

I am also looking for one bed furnished condo initially for a month and if during my stay I could manage DP 10 visa then the period of my stay wll be extended up to 2 years. Appreciate suggestion and guidance from well wishers.

short term rental is big problem in KL

good luck

For short term basis, try Regalia@Sultan Ismail service apartments. They do have 1 block of hotels and some units for short term rental and if you decided to go for long term, you can always opt for another apartment within the same block.

Hello.

I myself have lived in UK for the last 13 years.

Now I am back in KL and Penang.

Indeed I am a real estate negotiator. I can recommend you a development of serviced apartment / condominium at approx. RM3000 for 2 bedroom and 1 bathroom. The size is approximately 750-800square feet with KLCC view

There are smaller and bigger size if it is more suitable.

Walking distance 15-20minutes to Bukit Bintang / Pavillion and the MRT / LRT

Let me know if you are still in need of it.

Check out Sri Tiara Condos in Taman Seputeh... we lived there for 2 months while looking for more long term accommodation.

I am planning visit to KL by 15th August, 2013, The purpose is company registration and getting work . Initially my visit for a month but after registration I may stay for whole 2 years. Your immediate response solicited.

Formation of company, a pre-requisite to have 2 local as Director be a trustworthy friend ,GF or Wives. Is it so? can any body guide?
I am trying to get a ready made shelf company, my decision to save time is wise or else?

[moderated: please post your ad in the housing in Kuala Lumpur section]

This whole website has lots of information about company set up etc.:

http://malaysiabizadvisory.com/malaysia … oreigners/

There is quite a bit of cash outlay required. The investment for a foreign owner is RM500k.  Foreigner+Malaysian is RM300k.  You will need a virtual office at say Regis, so monthly charge for that to be added.  You will have to pay yourself and the other director a monthly salary of RM5k or more and pay tax on those salaries. Shelf companies are available. You can use the investment for the business, but it must be returned to the balance sheet for the yearly accounts.

is it a furnished one or else?

Hi GM Shahid > i invite you to create a new topic with your questions on the Kuala Lumpur forum. Thank you.

My first question as to why people all over the world consider Malaysia as their preferred country?

It works for some people but not for all.  It depends on personal circumstances and objectives.

Hi Christine
The topic that I started on your invitation and people like Gravitas has been contributing by sharing his views is widening the scope of topic.  Now I am inviting more people to join so as to come to a logical conclusion.

@GM Shahid - You have been asked to create a new topic - by doing so you will certainly get more input - not sure it will be different answers, but perhaps.  Look forward to seeing your new thread.

Hi

Is there any service residency in KL sENTRAL?

REGARDS