Pregnancy tests and abortions

Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if you could help?

I arrived in Nairobi in the past few weeks and am concerned that I may be pregnant, from my boyfriend (who is still at home).

Can anyone advise on safe procedures for getting a pregnancy test and options for abortions for expats living in Nairobi?

Any help is much appreciated.

Hi, Pregnancy test kits are available from good pharmacists.  Upper Hill Medical Centre, or Landmark Plaza spring to mind as medical clinics where you should be able to have a test carried out.

An abortion is an entirely different matter:  I understand that getting an abortion in Kenya is not easy.  Although no longer illegal, under the new constitution, abortions are only carried out under certain circumstances.  Despite being an expat, you are subject to Kenyan law, while living here.  I have pasted something from the Guttmacher Institute, from 2012,

'• In 2010, Kenya adopted a new constitution that explicitly permits abortion when there is need, in the opinion of a trained health professional, for emergency treatment; if the life or health of the woman is in danger; or if it is permitted under any other written law. Previously, abortion was only permitted to protect a woman's life.
• To date, it is unclear how widely the new legal status of abortion is understood or being implemented. Sections of the Kenyan penal code have not been revised to reflect the language in the new constitution; thus, many medical providers may be reluctant to perform abortions for any reason for fear of legal consequences.'

As a consequence, there is a 'trade' in illegal clinics, with an assocaited high death rate.

I suggest that the best and safest option would be to return home to have an abortion.  Of course, there may be someone else who has some alternative information on this.

I partially concur with longonot62. To a point.

Abortion in Kenya is frowned upon, but all the same, the 'trade' in illegal clinics statement is not entirely true.

Walk up to any gynaecologist and you can get an abortion. Its the simple truth.

Optionally, walk into a marie stoppes clinic (theres quite a few) and ask for a pregnancy termination.
At the reception, you will find a bunch of ladies waiting for the same service.

abortion is illegal in kenya but we can talk..

drvic wrote:

abortion is illegal in kenya but we can talk..

Please note this post is over 12 months old now.

noted......