Can i get same medicine in kenya like what i get now ?

Hi there. We are currently thinking about moving over to Nairobi with my husbands work and i need to know if i will be able to get medicines and tablets over there like what i get now. they are prescribed by my doctor and i get them every month. Please can anyone answer this for me?

Yes you can. All the top labels (GSK, Pfizer etc) are available. But be aware that medicines are expensive as they are all imported.
Also, shop around for well-known chemists, as duplicate drugs are quite common, given the high prices

I second Africalove...  They must be available in Kenya but not cheap.  If you find some cheap one = fake !

I would carry the medicine as medication is expensive in Kenya and may also be fake despite the fact you purchase them from a reputable pharmacy. It is impossible to determine fake meds  as it is.I am a Kenyan living in the USA and go to Kenya often and have fallen sick many a time only to purchase meds and not get better.It is better to be safe than sorry hope this posting helps you out.

It depends on what medication you take.  Some, such as Thyroxine are cheap, others very expensive indeed.  For some medications, you can buy over the counter without a problem.

If the pharmacist wants a prescription, then you would have to pay for a consultation with a doctor (possibly around Ksh 2000). 

Not all brands available in the UK can be obtained here, but most can.  There has recently been a lot of publicity about fake medications purporting to be from GSK in particular and it is difficult to know whether it is real when you buy.

It would be beneficial to bring medical reports etc with you.

You can find most of the meds you need there.  I found that blood pressure meds and cholesterol meds were really expensive.  Don't worry about needing a prescription.  Bring your bottle with you.  If the Chemist refuses to fill your prescription, go down the street to the next one...or tell him/her you will.  I have a chemist contact and can give you a quote if you have a small list of meds to check.

Yes you can get all medications at our Specialty Pharmacy in 5th Avenue Building, both Originals & Generic Bio equivalents. We also Import based on prescription if Bio-equivalent is not available locally at competitive prices.

[moderated: please register in the business directory]