Moving to China soon from Norway...any advice??

Hi all,

Seems there were quite lot of expats who are living in Shanghai...hope some of them would kindly post some of their opinions about moving to Shanghai from Europe, and the life style there??..

I got an offer to work in Shanghai for a European company. I was offered 20kRMB per month. So I wondering is it a good pay to live in shanghai and can save some money?.

Which are is good living in Shanghai for expats? is there any shared nice apartments?.

Love to hear your opinions about life style, night life, social life, sports...etc.,

sorry for too many questions..but I hope these are common for many new comers!!.:)

Cheers
Naresh

Hi Naresh,

20k is seems to be enough as you are single, but still you can ask for more otherwise savings will be less. again it depends on how you live and you are going china for permenant basis or just for a short term.

thanks,

For cost of living numbeo.com

Money offered seems a little low unless company is including accommodation, transport and medical insurance in the package.
And what about tax ??

Expat life in Shanghai is quite comfy- though with a price tag. For example, food items from USA, europe are available here, though 3x the price.

There are lots of sports teams, and nice apartments covering every amenity. We live comfy 2 bedroom apt centrally located paying roughly 7,000 rmb a month, to give an idea.

Life in Shanghai is fast paced like any other large city. Be ready at any moment to pick up and go type of culture and personalities. There's super fancy lounges as well as family run little cafes that are cheap eats.

normally speaking,u might need to spend half of ur salary per month to maintain a comfortable life here in shanghai....