Moving to Saigon in July, looking for some information.

Hi all, Chao cac ban, konnichiwa minnasan, etc. etc.

After five years living in Japan on the JET Program near Tokyo, I have made the decision to move to Vietnam. My ticket is already due for my arrival on the 25th and I'm psyched yet a little nervous.

As the JET Program has given me lots of experience as an English teacher and I have recently completed an online TEFL course with ITTT, I am planning to come in as an English teacher yet a little nervous.

My Vietnamese tutor says that I should look for a job online but everyone seems to say the exact opposite on blogs/forums yet I can't even find a list of schools to apply to in Saigon!

If anyone can point me in the right direction, that'd be awesome. Thanks!

Once you arrive here you can find work fairly easy. You can look online, get a list of schools in the area you want to live or go to places like Le Pub in Pham Ngu Lao where a lot of the younger teachers hang out.Try Vietnam works and also the classifieds here, but make sure you do some research on some schools, VN owners are not the most honest people in business.

Yeah that last part is what gets to me. However, what strikes me is that when I google stuff like "List of schools in Ho Chi Minh City." I don't get really much outside of the big language centers. Is there some secret keyword string I'm just not typing in?

Maybe best thing to do is talk to other people working here, most of the smaller schools are not on lists of Language schools.There is something like 200 language schools in Saigon, so it wont be hard to find a job.

Are you Japanese or other? I am looking for a Japanese's staff.

I am American unfortunately. However, if you are looking for a Japanese speaker I hold a JLPT N2 and have done some translation work for various people and organizations.

[Moderated: No free ad on the forum]

Weird. Lots of information on that school but the link isn't working yet their Japanese website at sakurasgn.com is fine. Either way, I doubt that they would hire me since I don't have Japanese teaching qualifications and most schools of that sort would prefer a native Japanese teacher.

Mos tof the major schools are easy enough to find. However things change here so much with language schools that by the time any list is produced its out of date.
There are loads of them around and you shouldn't have an issue finding them.
Not sure how well your online teaching cert will go down, do you hold a degree at all?

Yeah I hold a BA, as is required by the JET Program/Japanese visa regulations. I also have five years experience working with Junior High and Elementary school students along with a handful of adult learners.

Japantovietnam wrote:

Yeah I hold a BA, as is required by the JET Program/Japanese visa regulations. I also have five years experience working with Junior High and Elementary school students along with a handful of adult learners.

Here are the links I think it would be helpful for you to look for a real job in Viet Nam if you want to seek online.
http://www.monster.com.vn/http://www.jobstreet.vn/en/http://www.vietnamworks.com/enhttp://hrvietnam.com/en/search-job.html
Those websites are the ones where Vietnamese often seek new jobs. Hope you can get a good job and also good salary over here. Welcome to Viet Nam! :)

Japantovietnam wrote:

Hi all, Chao cac ban, konnichiwa minnasan, etc. etc.

After five years living in Japan on the JET Program near Tokyo, I have made the decision to move to Vietnam. My ticket is already due for my arrival on the 25th and I'm psyched yet a little nervous.

As the JET Program has given me lots of experience as an English teacher and I have recently completed an online TEFL course with ITTT, I am planning to come in as an English teacher yet a little nervous.

My Vietnamese tutor says that I should look for a job online but everyone seems to say the exact opposite on blogs/forums yet I can't even find a list of schools to apply to in Saigon!

If anyone can point me in the right direction, that'd be awesome. Thanks!

Hi!
Hearty welcome to Saigon!
Wishing you a happy and peaceful life here in Vietnam!
You can find out some teaching job here as already you booked your ticket :D

Japantovietnam wrote:

Good stuff, make sure you get refernces in writing to back up your experience.
Shouldn't be too hard to find a job here. Only obvious thing is it;s coming up to the summer holidays for the major schools, so you're probably gonna be looking for piece work till the start of the new term.

Here in Vung Tau, I know they have trouble getting anyone to teach small kids. Seems most people dont want to deal with small kids, so if your happy to teach small children then work is not too hard to find.

I was just about to ask this question too, my b.f and I are moving to HCMC in August from New Brunswick, Canada. I'll bookmark this forum. Could be cool to grab coffee once we're both in the country!

hey my name is dray i am a Canadian just moved to vietnam 5 months ago, if you are here in Ho Chi Minh City text me 0942456238

[Moderated: No free ad]

Hi, I found some jobs in HCMC, I think these school will suitable for you:
teachatapollo.com/apollo-vacancies
ama.edu.vn/en/component/content/article/87.html
apu.edu.vn/
compass.edu.vn/en/recruitment-list

You can send your application online in these websites before you move in Vietnam.

Btw, I has just graduated and I have so much free time, I can help you to find a suitable job in here.

Feel free to contact with me by this number: 0975 443  nine three seven.

Best,
Thanh.

Fortunately, I have found two decent jobs and one has even offered an honest-to-god full-time salary!!

Congrats! Welcome to Vietnam ^^!