Residency in Doha .. This is vital for me!

Hello everybody..
I'm a doctor and may join my husband to Doha. I was wondering if its possible for expats wives to work and if I can join a residency program there? Thank you very much!

You have two options as an expat wife

1. Get a job with a company who will sponsor you on an expat package - they won't usually double pay things like accommodation etc that your husband already gets, but you can negotiate other benefits instead. The downside to this is that you are contracted and to move jobs will require a NOC letter. Plus they will have control over your visa, exit/entry etc.

2. Your husband sponsors you on a family visa, advising the authorities that you intend to work. You are then able to be employed as a "local hire" which pays less, but at the same time all you need is a letter from your husband saying he is happy for you to work and you can change jobs at any time you wish. On a family visa you do not require an exit visit (you can leave anytime) although you do require a re-entry visa.

Don't know anything about the hospital residency programs though - hopefully someone else can help out there!

Thank you for your response. But isn't option 2 possible with iqama? Coz I would need that to benefit from my husband's company insurance ect.. Thanks

In KSA family Iquama (sponsored by husband) doesn't allow you to work - you have to have your own iquama sponsored by your employer -

In Qatar the family RP here (Iquama equivalent) allows you to work with your husbands permission as he is your sponsor - I work, sponsored by my husband on a family RP - BUT I can only be paid as a 'local hire' which means I get paid LESS (local rates, not expat rates) and without the benefits (yearly flights etc) that my colleagues who are sponsored by my employer get - I instead collect those benefits (including health insurance, flights etc) via my husbands contract.

As for your cost of living questions - depends on what sort of accom you want - a nice western style 3bd house on a compound will set you back at least 12K/mth or more unfurnished - if you want an apartment at the Pearl look at 15K+/mth, if you want an apartment 2bd somewhere else its less - if you want a single room with shared amenities it is cheaper again....

Groceries etc are similar to KSA if you buy local brands, fuel about double the price, eating out - like KSA depends on where you eat - we can pay QR50 for 4 of us at a local souk or QR400 at a western hotel.

Thank you for the information. For the rent I'm not looking for a compound or very luxury apartment but I still desire a nice 2 or 3 BD apartment in a nice area. Our offered housing allowance is 6000 per month I wonder if its enough to get us a nice place..