Best expat areas outside of KL ?

Dear all,

We are currently living in Hong Kong. We would like to move away from HK, due to the bad air pollution... so we were thinking of KL.

We know that the air quality in KL cant be the best, due to the traffic.
Is there any nice areas outside of KL( max 20 min drive from the airport) that is a nice expat area with international schools near by?

I've looked at the expat areas in KL, but they seem to be in the city and since we would prefer fresh air, we prefer to be in a area, where there is not much traffic.

Thank you

Hi and welcome to Expat.com tandtrold!

I hope the other members will be able to recommend you some good places soon.

Regards
Armand

I suggest Mont Kiara. I live there and enjoy it.

Hey,

I used to live in Hong Kong for 2.5 years and I absolutely agreed with you about the air pollution in Hong Kong. :P

KL isnt any better as you know we are quite congested with cars. But thank God we have plenty of trees and reserved forest around to make us a greener city.

You may want to consider this place called Mont Kiara and 60%-70% are expatriates. Is very convenient as there are few international school with British or US syllabus for you to choose. Of course we have French international school too.

Besides that, amenities are just walking distance (depends on with apartment you are living in) and you can basically settle most of your daily needs in one stop (eg. food, groceries, banks).

There is a particular apartment that you may consider named Kiaramas Ayuria. Is actually located at the end of the street and just next to the forest reserved (lots of fresh air). 470 feet above sea level and you may get KL view in some of the units.

But the negative point is actually about an hour drive to airport as the KLIA is basically far from town (most of the area near airport is not so developed yet) and there is no expat area within 20 mins drive from the airport.

If you wish to know more about the property mentioned above or moving to KL, you may drop me an email at [email protected] and we will discuss further from there.

cheers:D

Thank you all for your replies,

I will have a look into the areas.

thanks so much

my pleasure :)

Hi

You are most welcome to become part of our Malaysian communities.

I am not from any real estate agency but I am a private owner of a unit of condominium - Puncak Seri Kelana Condo, which is available for rent.

[moderated: please post your ad in the housing section]

Tandtrold
I can see that you are looking for relatively cleaner and greener environment. Basically not very far from city and airport as well.. I strongly suggest you looking into PUTRAJAYA.
I am sure you wont be disappointed..
Cheers..!

Try consider Cahaya SPK, friendly community , very peaceful living environment and u can enjoy the full facilities like children playground, jogging track, cafe , swimming pool with or with or without charges.
Here are some information about this place.
Monthly rental is depending on your requirement , for example like fully furnish, partly furnish or just empty house ( some expat family like to decor their own living place)
Oh ya the accommodation type is 2-sty link house and most probably a corner end lot which you can enjoy the privacy n quietness. If not mistaken the rental is about Myr1800-Myr2000.
The best if you can talk to the landlord about it. Normally the landlord of the property here are in middle class so there should b not much problem on it.
- 25,000 Full-fledged Cahaya SPK Resort Club with Swimming Pool & Wading Pool
- Fitness & Wellness Centre Steam Bath
- Retail Outlets
- Tennis Courts
- Squash Courts
- Multi-Purpose Hall
- Badminton Court
- Basketball Court
- Games Room
- Children Playground
- Table Tennis
- Pool Table
- Prayer Rooms
- Caf & Restaurant
- Broadband Internet Access within Clubhouse area
- Outdoor Exercise Station & Reflexology Path

* Strategically located in Shah Alam, Section U9
* 5 minutes to UiTM Puncak Perdana
* 15 minutes from Kota Damansara and Subang Airport Terminal 3
* 15 minutes to Mutiara Damansara and Shah Alam city centre
* Short distance to TESCO , GIANT , Bukit Jelutong Commercial area
* Easy access via NKVE (Shah Alam exit), Guthrie Highway, Federal Highway and the proposed Penchala Link Extension
* Good neighbourhood, peaceful, surrounded by Semi D's & bungalows
35 minutes to the KLIA
Up-coming future development : Commercial hub, Schools, New hi-way connection just from this place to Penchala link.

How about Cyberjaya? No heavy traffic and near to Kuala Lumpur International Airport approx. 25 mins drive.

Plenty of landscape gardens and up-and-coming green beautiful neighbourhoods.

Mont Kiara? Traffic ridden hell! And polluted. What an odd suggestion. Kl better than hk or Bangkok but getting worse as it expands and more car ownership. To get away from it means going quite far and away from international schools of any worth.

Putrajaya and cyberjaya are less congested than kl. But more boring. There is nexus int school in putrajaya of course. So maybe somewhere to consider

i suggest you look in area such as Seremban,Nilai and Semenyih. These places is between KL and KLIA. So just 30 minutes drive to KL and KLIA.Not too poluted and very greenery. besides that, there is international school called Koleh Tunku Jaafar ktj.edu.my It's a well known school with good student records.

tandtrold,
  I am from HK too. Now in KL. What is your budget? I don't prefer Mont Kiara as it is all high rise. You will only see a long of high rise outside your windows. (although, it won't be as bad as in HK.)
If your budget is high, Bukit tunku, kenny hill is great. Otherwise Ampang Hilir or Bangsar are rich areas with many trees, many cars, and many shops.

But airport is almost 1 hour from KLCC by bus or 35 min by train. So, if you need to be 20min from airport by car, you can only go to places like putrajaya or ceberjaya. I think they are in the middle of no where. You can live there if you don't have any needs on anything.

I am getting very boring here. So, if you need my help, contact me.

I think end of the day it depends on where u work and where your children school is. The nearer the better. Less time spend on traffic. Mt Kiara is not bad as i live here and the expat community is quite big. If you want fresh air u can go to the Forest Reserved in TTDI about 5-10 mins drive from Mt kiara. You can avoid the main road by taking the KLGCC back road.

Putrajaya and Cyberjaya probably is too quiet and not much to do there.

Mont Kiara is nice....but there's also a new area called DesaPark City. Lots of greenery and nice. There are international schools nearby.

Try Valencia which is a resort living community which is gated and guarded. It has all the amenities...pool, golf course etc. It is two minutes drive from ELC International school. There is also a brand new International School IGB being built there right now. Opening in January.

KL area is always polluted. You should stay in HK dude

I don't get some of the above posts.  OP says they are interested in moving because of pollution and if you've been to HK then you know the pollution there is 20x worse than it is in KL.  KL may have a lot of cars and horrendous traffice, but still, pollution is not on a par with HK.

Anyway, I think the OP needs to reconsider the 20mins drive to the airport requirement unless they are a pilot or air crew or work at the airport, in which case that is important.  The train from downtown is not bad.  It's cheap, runs fairly often, and doesn't take that long.

I hope this isn't too late.here are some really nice ares to live BUT its not in the city , a couple of mins lke 20-40mins away.
Gita bayu: lovely green living.(its like living in Nusa Dua Bali).International School and Australian School.Price range USD600Konwards to own a small home,larger homes are more
Desa Parkcity: safe residential area.Nice parks ,restaurants and International School. USD600K to own a small home.larger homes are more
Kenny Hills : Individual bungalows in the city but lots of greens in a prime area at USD900Konwards.A choice of International schools within a10KM radius